• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Ghosts, Ghouls, Pumpkins, Autumn Chill?: October 2015 DISCUSSION/OBS

UnionWeatherWx

I wouldn't consider 02-03 and 09-10 back-loaded winters. December 2009 had a HECS from LI southwestward - a colder than normal month - and December 2002 had a significant snowfall the first week, and a significant Christmas event. The common denominator of those two months was a -AO / -NAO in the means. Although the statistical probability of an active Nino December is quite low, it can happen given a conducive northern annular mode and north Atlantic regime.

I see what you're saying...the more classic examples are 57-58, 77-78, and 82-83.

However, December '09 wasn't so great for those that didn't jackpot in the 12/19 storm...I only had 9.5" that month with around 1" on 12/5 and 8" on 12/19, a slightly above average month but nothing remarkable compared to Feb '10 which had like 48" in Dobbs Ferry...26" on 2/26 alone and also 13" on 2/10. It was different in your area which had more in the 12/19 storm and less in 2/26.

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

some February Blizzards or heavy snows during el nino years...

February 1958...near blizzard...8-10"

February 1964...Heavy wet snow...7-10"

February 1966...Heavy wet snow...6-8"

February 1969...Heavy snow...15-20"

February 1978...Blizzard...15-20"

February 1983...Near Blizzard...18-22"

February 1995...Heavy wet snow...

February 2003...Near blizzard...15-20"

February 2010...Heavy wet snow twice...

1987 had heavy snow just south of the city and 1988 snow changed to rain but was heavy snow 50 miles north and west...

Isotherm, despite my being further north than you, I think your area's foliage peaked earlier. I think I am 4-5 days away from a peak in Dobbs Ferry...the hillsides are erupting in color, but still a few green stragglers unlike your photo shows.

I would guess the difference is due to better radiational cooling in your area. You had two freezes in the last cold shot, whereas my first night was only like 33F.

Isotherm, despite my being further north than you, I think your area's foliage peaked earlier. I think I am 4-5 days away from a peak in Dobbs Ferry...the hillsides are erupting in color, but still a few green stragglers unlike your photo shows.

I would guess the difference is due to better radiational cooling in your area. You had two freezes in the last cold shot, whereas my first night was only like 33F.

Yeah, I think you're probably right. Two consecutive freezes, with the second night in the middle 20s, was almost record breaking for the third week of October. That's probably what pushed the trees into high gear.

We still have the usual lagging red oaks, but I'm surprised that even they are yellowing/browning quite rapidly (and of course, the Bradford pears are in a different category altogether, turning about a week after everything else has peaked). Normally the red oaks show no signs of turning until the very end of October, then quickly brown in the first few days of November. That transient, but very cold period put us ahead of schedule. Hoping to get some more shots with an actual camera (those were all cell phone). Given the look today, it'll probably be past peak by Halloween this year.

Yeah, I think you're probably right. Two consecutive freezes, with the second night in the middle 20s, was almost record breaking for the third week of October. That's probably what pushed the trees into high gear.

We still have the usual lagging red oaks, but I'm surprised that even they are yellowing/browning quite rapidly (and of course, the Bradford pears are in a different category altogether, turning about a week after everything else has peaked). Normally the red oaks show no signs of turning until the very end of October, then quickly brown in the first few days of November. That transient, but very cold period put us ahead of schedule. Hoping to get some more shots with an actual camera (those were all cell phone). Given the look today, it'll probably be past peak by Halloween this year.

We did get down to 27F on the second night of the cold snap, but the first night here was quite a bit warmer.

I notice your area is typically colder on radiational cooling nights than mine. I'm near the top of a 400' hill in a fairly rugged neighborhood to the east of the Hudson that rises quickly from sea level to a top elevation near 450'. There's also a lot of houses and modest development whereas your part of Monmouth is more rural fields and farms, so it radiates better.

In snowstorms, my area benefits from elevation and latitude, whereas the opposite is true in radiational cooling set-ups.

Archived