joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015 Fall Foliage Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the WV foliage forecast. Color already showing in the Canaan/Dolly Sods area. Saw a post on instagram the other day estimating that Dolly Sods color was already at about 30%. Haven't seen any real good pics yet though, so it's hard to tell, but the berry bushes usually peak towards the last few days of September into the first week of October. That's at about 4,000 feet though. Regardless, figure next week through Columbus Day will have good color out that way. And there's enough variation in elevation (4000 ft on the Sods to below 3000 ft in Blackwater Canyon) that good color can spread out over a few week period as long as the weather holds. 

http://www.wvforestry.com/images/FallColorMap06Final.JPG

ETA: WV Forestry just tweeted that the Davis/Thomas area was at 35% peak. 

Thank you for the update, jonjon. Will be out that way next Friday. 

There is a lot of color here now, especially on the north side of Canaan Mountain (the view from Davis is nice). Our annual Leaf Peepers festival is this coming weekend -- we won't quite be at peak but the colors will be really nice. I think next weekend will be peak or just past peak here.

There is a lot of color here now, especially on the north side of Canaan Mountain (the view from Davis is nice). Our annual Leaf Peepers festival is this coming weekend -- we won't quite be at peak but the colors will be really nice. I think next weekend will be peak or just past peak here.

I'll echo the thanks for the update.  How crazy is it up there this weekend?  And most importantly, how is your beer supply for the weekend?  Next weekend is no good for me so it would have to be this weekend, and probably Saturday.

I'll echo the thanks for the update.  How crazy is it up there this weekend?  And most importantly, how is your beer supply for the weekend?  Next weekend is no good for me so it would have to be this weekend, and probably Saturday.

Its a pretty popular weekend up here so it will be a bit crazy.

I shut down the brewery this past weekend so that I would be fully stocked for this weekend!

Found a pic from yesterday on the Whitegrass facebook page. Goes along with what jonjon wrote earlier.....peak probably close to next weekend.....especially given the current 7 day forecast for that area. Mild days and cool nights, but not too cold. 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205935849290125&set=gm.10153610231364929&type=3&theater

Probably about as good a spot in Western Md as you can find. Gives close access to Deep Creek, Swallow Falls, Tolliver Falls and the Davis/Thomas/Canaan areas in WV. I'd feel uneasy going any later than Columbus Day weekend. Bound to be color in the lower elevations, but the higher elevations above 3000 ft will all most likely be past peak after that weekend based on historical peak.

Thinking about renting a cabin in one of the state parks in Garrett County. Trying to decide when peak will be out that way and which is a better location. 

Thinking about Harrington Manor State Park. Seems like a good area. 

Probably about as good a spot in Western Md as you can find. Gives close access to Deep Creek, Swallow Falls, Tolliver Falls and the Davis/Thomas/Canaan areas in WV. I'd feel uneasy going any later than Columbus Day weekend. Bound to be color in the lower elevations, but the higher elevations above 3000 ft will all most likely be past peak after that weekend based on historical peak.

Yeah... It seems like a good area. I am Thinking Oct 5-6. 

• 2 weeks later...

General foliage ob....locally, color is popping up here and there. Headed west to Davis on friday. Not a ton of color most of the way, but as soon as you hit the top of the ridge near the intersection with Rte 42 color was abundant. From that point to Davis and Canaan Valley it was near pesk. The mountain view from Davis, while a bit shrouded in fog, was colorful. In Blackwater Falls there was good color. The canyon is not at peak, but the rest of the park was really close. Lots of leaf drop already....especially near Pendelton lake.

Headed north on 219 through Oakland and Deep Creek on the way home. Color is coming along, but looked like it was a week from peak. Some of the higher ridges north on Deep Creek along 68 looked nice.

21279129224_e41894853a_z.jpg

21889913092_269547557c_z.jpg

21949086091_0e430dc49d_z.jpg

General foliage ob....locally, color is popping up here and there. Headed west to Davis on friday. Not a ton of color most of the way, but as soon as you hit the top of the ridge near the intersection with Rte 42 color was abundant. From that point to Davis and Canaan Valley it was near pesk. The mountain view from Davis, while a bit shrouded in fog, was colorful. In Blackwater Falls there was good color. The canyon is not at peak, but the rest of the park was really close. Lots of leaf drop already....especially near Pendelton lake.

Headed north on 219 through Oakland and Deep Creek on the way home. Color is coming along, but looked like it was a week from peak. Some of the higher ridges north on Deep Creek along 68 looked nice.

Good stuff.  I'm thinking about taking a drive out to Spruce Knob on Wednesday.  Hopefully there's good weather.  Looks like there ought to be. 

Hitting up the northern end of skylinevdr. Next Sunday. Hoping color is decent. Also going to stop by the virginia arboretum with the hopes that their gingko grove (300+ gingko trees) looks good. Will be in harpers ferry and shepardstown on saturday, but know those areas will not be at peak.

Peak has come in the canaan area and should creep east now.

~25% - 30% color in Damascus

I would say its about the same here. I took this shot earlier this morning when the sun was coming up. The way the light strikes the trees really shows the change, although it makes it looks a bit more dramatic. Definitely seeing it ramp up over the past few days.

post-1005-0-02239600-1444657899_thumb.jp

Archived