Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and the fringes - Summer into Fall

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the month ended today, the rainfall total of 0.67" would be the second-driest September on recorded history (1901-present), and there's a good chance that could be the final number. The mean temperature of 70.4 is currently up 2 degrees for the warmest September.

I was thinking the temp/rainfall numbers for September were pretty extreme this year but didn't realize it was that crazy. Looks like little chance of rain through the end of the month and temperatures staying in the 70s too. Crazy to think we could still only be a few weeks away from talking about snow flurries if we can get a pattern change.

What are the chances the Pope is speaking to a few hundred thousand Saturday in downtown Philly in the pouring rain? 

I would bet against that.  The trends in the numerical guidance, especially the American camp, are for a drier solution in Philly.  

Looking at the long range, we probably have two weeks to squeak out a cheap 80+ degree reading before we start the true plunge into autumn.

I've never seen the Susky look so low as to its current state. I guess I'm not alone, here is a video on pennlive saying the same. 

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2015/09/how_low_is_the_susquehanna_riv.html#incart_river_home 

I'll have to take a picture later of the Susquehanna under the Black Diamond Railroad Bridge. It's getting so dry up here you can almost walk from one side of the riverbank to the other. Never seen so much land exposed.

The river up here is actually recording negative depth; if I recall, that is to indicate the water level has fallen below the gauge measuring height.

We do need the rain. I have never seen my yard as bad as it is right now.

Indeed we do, but it appears as though the potential is there for excessive rainfall through the weekend. 1-3 inches from the midweek event, and then the possibility of MUCH MORE over the weekend depending on how everything plays out with Joaquin.

It will be interesting to see if we get a coherent inverted trough associated with Joaquin swing through the region. With enhanced low-level convergence and a plume of tropical moisture, that would be an efficient rain-producer.

Meanwhile, it looks as if the heaviest rain today has been in the north and west regions of PA, where the best mid-level frontogenesis is located. We should start getting in to some of the heavier precipitation tonight as a weak low develops along the cold/stationary front.

Archived