joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 23rd Enhanced Risk

mappy

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad SPC risks are so subjective. Today an ENH and Sat wasn't? Ok.

I was thinking the same thing. Ignoring all model data and just looking back at previous tropical remnants/circ events where there is strong s-sw ll flow out in front timed with daylight performs nearly 100% of the time here. I almost expected good training storms with some wind, hail, and random spin ups on Sat. But reading all the official disco for the days leading in made me think I don't know what the heck I'm thinking.

Today seems less likely for widespread storm coverage in general. My biggest fear is the big line has too many breaks or weak areas for the majority of us to see at least "decent" action. But I suck at severe wx analysis so there's that.

15z SPC mesoanalysis:

-7 to -9 LI's... LL Lapse Rates near 7.0 C/KM... ML Lapse Rates near 7.0 C/KM... 2000-2500 MLCAPE... ~3000 SBCAPE... sig hail is 1.5 in C MD... Derecho Composite is 4-6...

sigh.... 

15z SPC mesoanalysis:

-7 to -9 LI's... LL Lapse Rates near 7.0 C/KM... ML Lapse Rates near 7.0 C/KM... 2000-2500 MLCAPE... ~3000 SBCAPE... sig hail is 1.5 in C MD... Derecho Composite is 4-6...

16z SPC mesoanalysis

-7 to -8 LI's... LL Lapse Rates are between 7.0 and 7.5 C/KM... ML Lapse Rates 6.5 to 7.5 C/KM (7.5 is in C MD/W MD)... ~2500 MLCAPE... 3000-3500 SBCAPE... 35-40 kt effective shear... 30-35 kts bulk shear...

Hey, great to see you posting. How has life treated you the last few months?

Good!  Though I'd like the fishing to be better.   I don't post much in summer.  I'm already touching 90 here.  The NAM simulated relectivity, Cape and LI forecasts are pretty impressive.  I'm also a fan of being near the southern edge of the westerlies.

Usually if it's going to a mod you'll see a mesoscale discussion before. 

Yup.  there's always that <5% chance you get a random last minute upgrade late afternoon if convective trends warrant it but that is incredibly rare.

EDIT:  $20 says LWX launches a special balloon before a new WW is issued.

Yup.  there's always that <5% chance you get a random last minute upgrade late afternoon if convective trends warrant it but that is incredibly rare.

EDIT:  $20 says LWX launches a special balloon before a new WW is issued.

Hoping for that 18z balloon. They used to do it super often...not so much anymore.

ALso, mesoanalysis SARS hail parameters look pretty darn impressive just to the north of our area in PA. 

There's our watch to the west of us...

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED  SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH NUMBER 343  NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK  115 PM EDT TUE JUN 23 2015    THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A    * SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF     FAR WESTERN MARYLAND    SOUTHEAST OHIO    WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA    WEST VIRGINIA    * EFFECTIVE THIS TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING FROM 115 PM UNTIL    1000 PM EDT.    * PRIMARY THREATS INCLUDE...    SCATTERED DAMAGING WIND GUSTS TO 70 MPH POSSIBLE    ISOLATED LARGE HAIL EVENTS TO 1.5 INCHES IN DIAMETER POSSIBLE    A TORNADO OR TWO POSSIBLE    SUMMARY...STRONG TO SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WILL CONTINUE TO INCREASE  ACROSS THE REGION THIS AFTERNOON AHEAD OF A SOUTHEASTWARD-MOVING  COLD FRONT.    

Archived