joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 20-21 and June 24-27 Heavy Rain/Severe Threats

Hoosier

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will have to see how quickly the warm front lifts north. It's still in central/northern Missouri to far southern Illinois. The ongoing convection over NE/SD is another player. Either way, it looks like a pretty good bet that eastern Iowa into much of northern Illinois sees a lot of rain tonight. Exact placement and severe potential are still a bit unclear.

Quincy, is flooding looking like the main threat? Seeing a lot of players to hinder upscale severe.

I think the upscale component resulting in a heavy rain/strong wind MCS is still a good possibility across northern Illinois. Initiation may be a bit too late for much of a tornado/hail threat and if that does exist, it would probably remain confined to near the IA/IL border, up into the eastern half of Iowa.

I think the upscale component resulting in a heavy rain/strong wind MCS is still a good possibility across northern Illinois. Initiation may be a bit too late for much of a tornado/hail threat and if that does exist, it would probably remain confined to near the IA/IL border, up into the eastern half of Iowa.

Thanks! I was seeing some discrete initiate in E.IA on a few models, guess that's a wait and see deal.

Just considering the current surface maps/trends, as well as the subtle shifts from the high resolution guidance...I think the threat (as some have mentioned), may be trending somewhat southwest. This would be good for Chicagoland, but would still mean someone in central/northern Illinois gets a fair amount of rain.

The HRRR has been showing different convective evolutions with respect to storm mode, but the latest run now initiates near and south of I-80 in southeastern Iowa, overspreading into adjacent northwest/west-central Illinois.

Surface quast-stationary front now appears to be slightly further southwest than the 12z RAP/NAM were progging. Satellite imagery doesn't show much northward (if any) progress at the moment, but that should eventually change.

post-533-0-46414600-1435159231_thumb.gif

post-533-0-28340800-1435159237_thumb.gif

Current MCS in NE. Nebraska will likely be the main event today as it moves across IA/IL, and then redevelopment/training tonight on top of that. Might be some potential along any OFB it puts down near I-80 in E. Nebraska/Iowa, if the warm front makes it back north to that area. Definitely not chasing today.

You can tell enthusiasm has waned - we're only on 4 pages for a enhanced severe weather event for today....

Parameters for severe aren't off the charts like the other night...i think it is still gonna be a long evening and night for parts of iowa and illinois though...wind and heavy precip the main threats

Still thinking the best shot for meaningful severe generally stays south of a Des Moines to Pontiac IL line.  Heavy rain north of there with some isolated severe certainly, but biggest wind/tor threat should generally stay south of that line IMO.  

the agreement on this among the regulars is pretty strong

It's almost noon and winds are still out of the northeast at a pretty good clip (10kt). Hell, even Columbia, MO still has NE winds. Warm front has definitely struggled to lift north this morning. If that pile of activity over E. NE and SW IA gets going, it's going to ride much further south than originally progged. Basically, no guidance had a decent handle on this morning's convection (except the 00Z 4km WRF-NMM) and the monkey wrench is currently in the air.

It's almost noon and winds are still out of the northeast at a pretty good clip (10kt). Hell, even Columbia, MO still has NE winds. Warm front has definitely struggled to lift north this morning. If that pile of activity over E. NE and SW IA gets going, it's going to ride much further south than originally progged. Basically, no guidance had a decent handle on this morning's convection (except the 00Z 4km WRF-NMM) and the monkey wrench is currently in the air.

And considering we are both in STL, I think we'd like a further south solution :P

The most recent HRRR run is starting to get a better grip. This is pretty similar to what the radar looks like now... it just has some timing issues.

UzV7wID.gif

Archived