joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 20-21 and June 24-27 Heavy Rain/Severe Threats

Hoosier

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's what the 18z 4km NAM has for 21z. This is going to be a bit off.

attachicon.gifnam4km_ref_ncus_1.png

Has a heavy band of precip through Chicago, but with how it initialized, I'd use with caution.

Since it's a cold start model, not always going to pick up on ongoing convection based off initialized 18z data, and also doesn't mean it won't have a decent handle later. But certainly a good idea to use with caution, as with other high-res guidance.

Seems like that intersection of the boundaries in extreme SE IA/ extreme E Nebraska could be a focus for initiation. Latest Vis. Sat. appears to show some CU agitation in this area? Effective STP in this area is maximized at 7 as well, and with strong shear, extreme buoyancy, and impressive veering, any storm that goes up will have a good shot at all severe hazards, including maybe a strong tornado...

0-3KM  SRH as of 21Z...srh3.gif?1435180868071

Some very impressive parameters along the warm front... glad they re-introduced the 10%. Can't wait to see the 00z soundings...

It's frustrating yet amusing to see the HRRR fail for the forecast at 10PM eastern. It's only 5 hours away... and I'm in the enhanced risk for tomorrow. Nope... not feeling good.

http://i.imgur.com/oMQcq8H.gif

http://i.imgur.com/6svdNmY.gif

Hoping for at least a nice downpour, in Winnetka for the week, but looks like very little. Certainly looks interesting for S IA and SE IA.

Oh so you're right by me. Im also hoping for ANYTHING at this point (pretty sure we'll get a downpour)

Modified soundings to match current observed temp/DP's across S/SE/SW IA, looks pretty slim for CI across that area of impressive parameters, too strong a cap in place for subtle processes or just heating to overcome it seems.. Doesn't appear to be any obvious points for CI later either...  Besides perhaps in far S IA/ SE IA along what appears to be a subtle OFB on vis sat. Guess we will have to wait to see what the LLJ/WAA can achieve in a few hours.

The severe weather parameters are almost as high as 6/16/14. It means nothing if we can't buy a discrete cell.

Wasn't that the day of the Stanton Tornado?  Had a PDS watch that day too... And just for posterity and an example here is the 19Z Special OAX sounding. last.gif

Archived