Newest Member
    joxey
June 20-21 and June 24-27 Heavy Rain/Severe Threats

Hoosier

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...THE FLASH FLOOD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 700 AM CDT

THURSDAY FOR WARREN...SOUTHERN BOONE...SOUTHWESTERN MARION...

DALLAS...NORTHEASTERN MADISON...SOUTHEASTERN GUTHRIE AND POLK

COUNTIES...

AT 228 AM CDT...LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT REPORTED FLASH FLOODING IN

NUMEROUS PORTIONS OF THE DES MOINES METRO AND SURROUNDING

COMMUNITIES...INCLUDING WAUKEE...GRIMES...JOHNSTON...AND DALLAS

CENTER. IN EXCESS OF 3 TO 4 INCHES OF RAIN HAVE FALLEN ALREADY WITH

AN ADDTIONAL COUPLE OF INCHES POSSIBLE FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE

NIGHT. FLASH FLOODING IS ALREADY OCCURRING.

SOME LOCATIONS THAT WILL EXPERIENCE FLOODING INCLUDE...

DES MOINES...WEST DES MOINES...ANKENY...URBANDALE...JOHNSTON...

CLIVE...INDIANOLA...ALTOONA...WAUKEE...NORWALK...PLEASANT HILL...

GRIMES...PERRY...KNOXVILLE...WINTERSET...ADEL...WINDSOR HEIGHTS...

CARLISLE...BONDURANT AND POLK CITY.

The diving MCS took most of the storms well south and west, but I was lucky to get a nice lone storm on the northeast flank before it weakened.  The rain was pretty heavy (0.72", daily total 1.15") and the lightning was about as good as I've had this season (not much for big thunder, though).  Some modest hail even fell north of Cedar Rapids.

Updated rain amounts for June.  This wouldn't have captured all of the rain this morning and again, it seems to underestimate totals in some areas.

Nonetheless, if you look closely, some 15" amounts showing up in parts of MO/IL/IN.

post-14-0-62562300-1435259810_thumb.png

Possible watch forthcoming now for the evening of the 25th as a stronger wave with greater forcing is progged to move through the area on Friday the 26th.  Mesoscale discussion out.

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1175   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   0355 PM CDT THU JUN 25 2015   AREAS AFFECTED...FAR EASTERN MISSOURI...SOUTHERN ILLINOIS...SOUTHERN   INDIANA...AND FAR NORTHERN KENTUCKY   CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH POSSIBLE    VALID 252055Z - 252300Z   PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...60 PERCENT   SUMMARY...SCATTERED THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPMENT IS LIKELY TO CONTINUE   ACROSS THE DISCUSSION AREA OVER THE NEXT 1-2 HOURS.  A WW MAY BE   NEEDED FOR THIS AREA.   DISCUSSION...A FEW ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS HAVE DEVELOPED IN   SOUTHWESTERN INDIANA AND FAR EASTERN MISSOURI IN THE PAST HOUR.    LATEST MESOANALYSIS INDICATES AN UNCAPPED AIRMASS OVER THE   REGION...WITH MODERATE TO STRONG INSTABILITY SUPPORTIVE OF CONTINUED   DEVELOPMENT OF THIS ACTIVITY THROUGH THE AFTERNOON.  WIND PROFILES   ARE PRIMARILY WESTERLY WITH MINIMAL VEERING...AND 35-45 KNOT DEEP   SHEAR WILL SUPPORT STORM ORGANIZATION.  LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING WIND   GUSTS ARE THE MOST LIKELY THREAT WITH THIS ACTIVITY AS STORMS   MATURE...WITH UPSCALE GROWTH INTO ONE OR MORE COMPLEXES POSSIBLE   THROUGH THE EVENING HOURS.  A TORNADO CANNOT COMPLETELY BE RULED OUT   GIVEN STORM DEVELOPMENT ALONG A SYNOPTIC-SCALE STATIONARY FRONT.    TRENDS WILL CONTINUE TO BE MONITORED...AND A WW MAY BE NEEDED IN THE   NEXT 1-3 HOURS DEPENDING ON CONVECTIVE DEVELOPMENT DURING THAT TIME   FRAME.   ..COOK/DIAL.. 06/25/2015

June amounts are going to match/exceed July 2003 in many spots

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

That was a fun month for severe, particularly for hail as I recall. My girlfriend at the time lived in Bourbonnais, and we'd go out and sit under her covered back porch and watch (listen to) the storms. Storm data for that month is worth a read.   

That was a fun month for severe, particularly for hail as I recall. My girlfriend at the time lived in Bourbonnais, and we'd go out and sit under her covered back porch and watch (listen to) the storms. Storm data for that month is worth a read.   

I remember you getting hail like a dozen times in a year once.  Was that then? 

You ain't kidding. 12z run wasn't chopped liver either. 

Really don't know what to expect and have some concern about convective feedback possibly interfering with some of these solutions.  I guess be prepared for anything from 1-5"  lol

Archived