• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2015 pattern discussion

GaWx

The 18z GFS has the hottest weather starting around day 6 so there is still some time for it to change, but it does seem to be showing up more consistently though, so this heat will probably happen. By the way it has rained here 2 straight days, but still not over .25 in any 24 hour period yet. The heavier stuff just does not want to come around here and after tomorrow, my rain chances are going away for a while.

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 18z GFS has the hottest weather starting around day 6 so there is still some time for it to change, but it does seem to be showing up more consistently though, so this heat will probably happen. By the way it has rained here 2 straight days, but still not over .25 in any 24 hour period yet. The heavier stuff just does not want to come around here and after tomorrow, my rain chances are going away for a while.

About 2 weeks ago the GFS was trying to advertise a big heat wave and a couple days later we ended up with a weak closed-off low...so therefor, give me a couple more days (at least) before fully jumping on board.

In general I have been a skeptic of the GFS number outputs for months now...and nothing has happened for me to change that feeling.

About 2 weeks ago the GFS was trying to advertise a big heat wave and a couple days later we ended up with a weak closed-off low...so therefor, give me a couple more days (at least) before fully jumping on board.

In general I have been a skeptic of the GFS number outputs for months now...and nothing has happened for me to change that feeling.

This one is the real deal, Euro is on board:

39uxT3c.gif

This one is the real deal, Euro is on board:

12z GFS is still on board as well. Looks like the upstate and SE SC could be the hot spot winners:

Day 5:

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=GFS&grid=3&model_yyyy=2015&model_mm=06&model_dd=09&model_init_hh=12&fhour=126&parameter=TMPF&level=2&unit=M_ABOVE_GROUND&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

But there will be many many runner ups...

Book it! They can't get a snow or rain or arctic blast right, 2 days out, but will lock onto 100s from 10 days out and nail it! :(

All we can do is hope it's wrong; but in this case the heat shown at days 5 to 7 is the climax to the current heat buildup . So basically we are within the two days... 

Hour 52 (Day two):

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=GFS&grid=3&model_yyyy=2015&model_mm=06&model_dd=09&model_init_hh=12&fhour=54&parameter=TMPF&level=2&unit=M_ABOVE_GROUND&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

That looks like low 90s for much of Georgia ? That's pretty typical for mid June.

High 90's in GA on Tues (day 7)...95-101 across the state, then the GFS spit out widespread 100-102 on Sat of NEXT week so Day 10/11...heat...wave... :maphot:

High 90's in GA on Tues (day 7)...95-101 across the state, then the GFS spit out widespread 100-102 on Sat of NEXT week so Day 10/11...heat...wave... :maphot:

Hey Jon,

Good to hear from you! I thought you only worked out of a wintertime refrigerator! :santa:

Stay cool! :icecream:

GFS has us pushing over 100º - but we'll see.

Best,

Phil

HWO tonight from RAH...

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...WEDNESDAY THROUGH MONDAY.THE FIRST HEAT WAVE OF THE SEASON IS EXPECTED LATER IN THE WEEK. AFTERNOON TEMPERATURES IN THE LOW AND MID 90S COUPLED WITH AHUMID AIR MASS WILL RESULT IN HEAT INDICES 98-102 EACH AFTERNOONFRIDAY THROUGH SUNDAY.

HWO tonight from RAH...

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...WEDNESDAY THROUGH MONDAY.THE FIRST HEAT WAVE OF THE SEASON IS EXPECTED LATER IN THE WEEK. AFTERNOON TEMPERATURES IN THE LOW AND MID 90S COUPLED WITH AHUMID AIR MASS WILL RESULT IN HEAT INDICES 98-102 EACH AFTERNOONFRIDAY THROUGH SUNDAY.

Sucks but its the price we pay for living in the SE, hopefully we only get a few weeks like the one coming up....honestly though I prefer the 100 degree stuff cause its usually dry so its 100 with a heat index of 102 versus low 90's with a heat index of 114.....the upside is you can get some killer thunderstorms in these setups......

Good news and bad news: Good - 6z GFS looks like it backed off just a little on temps in the medium range. Bad - But the heat looks to last way out into the extended range (..maybe some relief in the fantasy period). So basically get ready for a long period of 90s... 

Day 10

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=GFS&grid=3&model_yyyy=2015&model_mm=06&model_dd=10&model_init_hh=06&fhour=252&parameter=TMPF&level=2&unit=M_ABOVE_GROUND&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

I hate summer. :axe:  :gun_bandana:  :sun:  :angry:

Ugghh, likewise!! GSP has not been higher than 95 since July 28 2012. Looks like that streak will come to an end here over the next week. I really hope the GFS is overdoing the heat again - maybe we'll get lower 90s or some upper 80s, but I doubt it. It just feels like the hammer is about to be dropped and it's not even summer yet  :yikes: You guys in WNC enjoy your "mild" summer (Boone looks better and better).

Sucks but its the price we pay for living in the SE, hopefully we only get a few weeks like the one coming up....honestly though I prefer the 100 degree stuff cause its usually dry so its 100 with a heat index of 102 versus low 90's with a heat index of 114.....the upside is you can get some killer thunderstorms in these setups......

Probably will just be hot and dry. This has to be the worst year in a long time for thunderstorms around here. I know eastern NC had some last night, but I am talking just for the Triangle.

Probably will just be hot and dry. This has to be the worst year in a long time for thunderstorms around here. I know eastern NC had some last night, but I am talking just for the Triangle.

Amazing the differences. Here in Easley we have had a parade of storms with some incredible downpours. I am close to 10 inches over the past couple of weeks. Everything is soaking and soppy. Decks, yard, and driveway are a MESS!

Looks like the shetleyridge is going to set up as a perma-feature over the southeast this summer. Should effectively cap the atmosphere and keep us hot and humid. Hopefully, everyone's AC units are in good working order!

So you're saying Shetley been right all along. Guess its time to serve some fried crow.

It looks as if the 6z GFS is backing off slightly on the heat and definitely shows more rain over the southeast over the next 2 weeks. Temps barely reach 100 now in the Carolina's and in only a small area. Hopefully this trend continues.

I thought the Euro was showing the crazy heat!? Hopefully it's wrong too!

I thought the Euro was showing the crazy heat!? Hopefully it's wrong too!

It looks as if the 6z GFS is backing off slightly on the heat and definitely shows more rain over the southeast over the next 2 weeks. Temps barely reach 100 now in the Carolina's and in only a small area. Hopefully this trend continues. 

Yeah the Euro is still holding on to some heat at day 10 but I don't have surface maps anymore, cancelled wxbell for now to save $$ but from what I can tell day 10 is still hot based on 500mb...But as of now you're right the latest GFS backed off the heat, still can see 95 degree days throught this stretch although it's not as amped as it once was on both models. The west is winning! So far it looks good, reminds me why I don't try and forecast heat, it's like forecasting a trough during winter exept much worse.

Archived