June 2015 General Disco

snowlover2

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we heading into July or September??

brr....

Tuesday
Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Patchy fog before 2pm. Otherwise, cloudy, with a temperature falling to around 49 by 10am. North wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Tuesday Night
A 20 percent chance of showers before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44. North wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light northwest in the evening.

Wednesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 61. North wind around 5 mph.

Wednesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 43. Northwest wind around 5 mph.

Are we heading into July or September??

brr....

Tuesday
Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Patchy fog before 2pm. Otherwise, cloudy, with a temperature falling to around 49 by 10am. North wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Tuesday Night
A 20 percent chance of showers before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44. North wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light northwest in the evening.

Wednesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 61. North wind around 5 mph.

Wednesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 43. Northwest wind around 5 mph.

To hell with that noise, that is 1992 level cold. Those mid 40s would be terrible for a garden as well.

I wonder what the average high lakeside actually is at this time of year.  ORD is 83 but along the lake?

I know at UGN at least (just under 4 miles) the average is now at 80°. I would imagine the average high never gets above 80° at the lake front (except maybe at the Indiana shoreline where the cooling influence would be moderate the quickest as you moved out of spring. If Meigs field was still there you could look at their averages.

---

It hasn't hit 80° here in 8 days now! 7 day forecast is solidly below normal. High of 70° today with 0.07" of rain last night.

I know at UGN at least (just under 4 miles) the average is now at 80°. I would imagine the average high never gets above 80° at the lake front (except maybe at the Indiana shoreline where the cooling influence would be moderate the quickest as you moved out of spring. If Meigs field was still there you could look at their averages.

---

It hasn't hit 80° here in 8 days now! 7 day forecast is solidly below normal. High of 70° today with 0.07" of rain last night.

I actually found the average high for Meigs Field, presumably based on the 1971-2000 period.  Looks like the average high for June 29 is 78.

I actually found the average high for Meigs Field, presumably based on the 1971-2000 period.  Looks like the average high for June 29 is 78.

O, you actually found that data! Cool

With Lake Michigan running as cool as it has been this year, I'm sure the departure is substantial.

Running under last year actually right now.

avgtemps-m-5-yr.gif

Followed a severe warned cell for awhile earlier this evening up in northern and central Whiteside County.  Storm developed a nice little wall cloud that had some decent rotation.  For a bit I thought it may actually try to do something.  

Rotating wall cloud south of Morrison.

10nrr81.jpg

Looking southeast north of Prophetstown as the storm departs.  Needed an even wider angle lens here to capture the whole scene.  The top of the storm looked pretty cool as it boiled upward, with the updraft/rain free base below.

33a5v11.jpg

Looking southwest towards some distant convection

dpv7uw.jpg

Followed a severe warned cell for awhile earlier this evening up in northern and central Whiteside County.  Storm developed a nice little wall cloud that had some decent rotation.  For a bit I thought it may actually try to do something.  

Rotating wall cloud south of Morrison.

10nrr81.jpg

Looking southeast north of Prophetstown as the storm departs.  Needed an even wider angle lens here to capture the whole scene.  The top of the storm looked pretty cool as it boiled upward, with the updraft/rain free base below.

33a5v11.jpg

Looking southwest towards some distant convection

dpv7uw.jpg

Love the 1st and 3rd picks. 3rd ones Anvil is like straight across, beautiful!

A potent little cell last hour dropped down into the west side of Cedar Rapids and gave me the best storm of the season.  As it approached there was quite a bit of streaky lightning with real nice thunder, easily the best lightning of the season.  When the tiny core moved right over my house the wind gusted to 40+ mph and pea size hail beat against the windows.  I picked up 0.78" of rain in 15 minutes, which pushed my June rain total to 10.36".  It was a pretty cool storm. :)

Awesome summer pics, cyclone!

Got cooler than forecasted here last night.  Currently 44 degrees with gusty winds. wind chill has been in the 30's.    rain has ended imby for the most part... .73" total of a slow steady rain.  shouldn't warm too much today with a long cold north fetch off Superior.  Weekend mid-70's!!  Can't wait.

A potent little cell last hour dropped down into the west side of Cedar Rapids and gave me the best storm of the season.  As it approached there was quite a bit of streaky lightning with real nice thunder, easily the best lightning of the season.  When the tiny core moved right over my house the wind gusted to 40+ mph and pea size hail beat against the windows.  I picked up 0.78" of rain in 15 minutes, which pushed my June rain total to 10.36".  It was a pretty cool storm. :)

nice

Took video of the lightning storm last night.  Even captured a cloud to ground lightning bolt.

Bolt happens at the 0:51 marker on the upper left hand corner of the video.

PS: the lightning was really bad prior to me taking the video that I had to shut down and unplug my computer.

Based on some damage to plants in the gardens in the nearby open field, I'm thinking my wind last night reached 50 mph.  My beets are a bit of a mess with plenty of broken leaves and one of my pepper plants was standing at 45 degrees.  My neighbor had his entire row of peppers blown over.  My cannas look like they went through a battle.  Oddly, while the storm was moving southward, the plant damage was due to a strong west wind.

high at my house was 47, with low clouds and gusty winds.  certainly felt Autumn like out.   was gone all day and the house is 58 inside... gonna do another summer fire in the stove this evening to warm the pad up a little.

Dang, that's brutal.

yes, nice and cozy tonight, Geos. :)

attachicon.gifIMG_2211.JPG

Nice wood burner there.

Fantastic evening with temps in the 70s and low humidity.  Only negative are the mosquitoes, which have become quite terrible lately.  Almost making me look forward to the first hard freeze lol.

Took a few test shots outside of town with the new ultra-wide lens shortly before sunset.  Can't wait to use it on storms.

2z50t3d.jpg

505cna.jpg

Archived