• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 15th-16th Severe Events

andyhb

Analog wise, 4/5 top matching events for CIPS from the 00z run had F3+ tornadoes in the S Plains (5/8/1986, 5/7/1995, 4/25/1994 and 5/3/1999).

Also growing increasingly concerned about nocturnal potential too, not only because of recent events, but also because all signs point to a BL that will be slow to decouple, with rich low level moisture, a lack of any significant capping source and a strong low level jet. If storms don't become predominantly linear by that time, I don't like the prospects for the I-35 corridor in particular.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to think we'd be looking at a very high end/possibly historic event, IF it wasn't for the current state of morning convection from the TX PH into KS.

Although the coverage of significant severe seems questionable on the large scale in my mind, at least north of the KS/OK border, at least a few sig/long-lived tornado events appear likely. Western OK is where I'd tend to think the greatest magnitude threat is. Mesoscale details over the next few hours could change that a bit.

Really not happy to see the stuff in the TX panhandle growing around Lubbock.  Will grab breakfast here in OKC and head out to Sayre and wait to see where the dryline actually gets setup.

There's nothing really too organized about this convection at this time.

There's nothing really too organized about this convection at this time.

The back edge is just about to a Amarillo to Wichita Falls line too. Assuming it doesn't back build, that's some gradual clearing happening rather soon.

The back edge is just about to a Amarillo to Wichita Falls line too. Assuming it doesn't back build, that's some gradual clearing happening rather soon.

If you told me two days ago this is the look that we would see at 8:30 AM today, I would say that would be pretty favorable.

I still like today overall, and still think we will probably sig-severe at least across Oklahoma later, but the northern half of the MDT risk is a bit uncertain attm. Looking at SFC observations across SW/C KS you find lots of observations that read with temps in the upper 50's/low 60's, DP's in the mid/upper 50's, and tons of cloud cover over head and incoming caused by loosely organized crapvection and showers.. Theta-E advection also looks to not really recover imo into that area regardless of what the models show, it's only 8:38 right now, but we will see how it looks at about 11:30 or noon.

At least going back to the 04z run, the HRRR did have this second round of convection. It's right on time too.

I feel like these threads are for cheerleading only sometimes. Think my last run was 3z. ;) To be clear, I don't think it matters a huge ton compared to what expectations are. Seemingly not part of a perfect plan ('historic') scenario though. I kinda doubt we see a high .. more likely a refining of the 15% later.. could be wrong.

What's important is that there's no significant cold pool with this morning convection.  It's 8:47 AM, and this stuff is showing signs of clearing to the NE, at least across the TX PH, which should be clean by 17z.  I think all systems are go for a significant/major tornado event for at least south-central KS and western/central OK.

I know we shouldn't rely too heavily on the 4km NAM at this juncture, but FWIW, it appears to be intensifying some of the current convection over northwestern Oklahoma around midday, followed by the "main show" from southwestern Kansas into the panhandles and eventually western Oklahoma with numerous semi-discrete to discrete storms.

There are enough pitfalls that I wouldn't be upgrading the outlook either, if it were my call. Ongoing convection is more substantial than forecast last night even by the HRRR, for one thing. Even ignoring the potential thermodynamic effects from that, I think it's becoming likely that this will be a 5/5/07 or 4/26/09 style day with almost continuous initiation off the dryline from lunchtime on, rather than a distinct "main show" initiating at an optimal time in the afternoon (21z-00z) following a long lull. Also similar to 4/26/09 is the questionable H5-H85 crossover and some VBV issues, leading to the potential for mixed storm mode or at least "strung out" supercells (which HRRR composite reflectivity hints at in some cases).

None of this is to say I'm downplaying today as a bust; I just think a HIGH risk setup would be more flawless than this. In reality, I can see a pretty wide range of outcomes, all the way from what would be widely perceived as a bust to something verifying a HIGH. When VBV and meridional flow are major issues, it seems like often you just don't know until the storms form and you can observe their characteristics. There are pretty decent analogs like 4/26/09 and 5/7/95 which featured HIGH risk busts on the dryline due to mixed/messy storm mode, but this has the advantage of being a few weeks later into the season and having a truly negative-tilt trough, at least. Perhaps today will be something more like 5/5/07 shifted 50-100 mi. S.

There are enough pitfalls that I wouldn't be upgrading the outlook either, if it were my call. Ongoing convection is more substantial than forecast last night even by the HRRR, for one thing. Even ignoring the potential thermodynamic effects from that, I think it's becoming likely that this will be a 5/5/07 or 4/26/09 style day with almost continuous initiation off the dryline from lunchtime on, rather than a distinct "main show" initiating at an optimal time in the afternoon (21z-00z) following a long lull. Also similar to 4/26/09 is the questionable H5-H85 crossover and some VBV issues, leading to the potential for mixed storm mode or at least "strung out" supercells (which HRRR composite reflectivity hints at in some cases).

None of this is to say I'm downplaying today as a bust; I just think a HIGH risk setup would be more flawless than this. In reality, I can see a pretty wide range of outcomes, all the way from what would be widely perceived as a bust to something verifying a HIGH. When VBV and meridional flow are major issues, it seems like often you just don't know until the storms form and you can observe their characteristics. There are pretty decent analogs like 4/26/09 and 5/7/95 which featured HIGH risk busts on the dryline due to mixed/messy storm mode, but this has the advantage of being a few weeks later into the season and having a truly negative-tilt trough, at least. Perhaps today will be something more like 5/5/07 shifted 50-100 mi. S.

I think 4/26/09 is a good little analog and I was also out that day. The radar to me actually has that look. Weaker cap should allow for what you're saying but I also wouldn't rule out a "main show" later on type solution in southwest OK up to the metro. 

Victor might have to update his scale...but it still plots the max..

HRRR showing a max sig tor of 23 southeast of a discrete supercell at 23z later in southwest OK.

We're driving through most of KS but initial target is Elk City, with sights possibly further south.

attachicon.gifhrrr sig tor.gif

Same run (12z) and frame, if you zoom in to OKC sector, sig tor is really 28.

*enhance*

HQWFTgZ.gif

In infer from the SPC 13Z that they actually considered down to ENH but I am glad they kept MDT. Tornadoes will verify today, but perhaps not all up and down the DL. Hodos are not great. However where OFBs can enhance local low level shear, total hodos will indeed promote tornadoes - some maybe strong only along OFBs.

I infer SPC are concerned about uncertainty, thinking about ENH, but the synoptic pattern requires MDT. Any English majors in the house? I don't have a dog in the hunt. Reluctantly elected to sit out this one. My optimism along OFBs is not wish-casting, but based on my understanding of the meteorology. Good luck to everyone; and, with the messy mode and crowds, please chase extra carefully today.

UNCERTAINTY IN THE SUBSEQUENT EVOLUTION OF THIS EARLY CONVECTION AND

DEGREE OF AIR MASS RECOVERY IN ITS WAKE DURING THE LATE

MORNING/AFTERNOON...AND HOW THIS EVOLVES WILL IMPACT LOCATIONS AND

LIKELIHOOD OF SEVERE STORMS THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING. GIVEN THE

FAVORABLE SYNOPTIC PATTERN...HAVE OPTED TO MAKE LIMITED ADJUSTMENTS

TO THE OUTLOOK AREAS WITH THE EXPECTATION THAT THE MESOSCALE

SCENARIO WILL BECOME MORE EVIDENT AS THE DAY PROGRESSES.

This morning we are talking a major outbreak, this afternoon it's Moderate down to Enhanced... something about Saturdays recently. These setups are almost becoming the 'cry wolf' scenario. What is it with morning convection ruining the atmosphere at the moment? 

There is no reason I'm seeing right now to downgrade from the moderate aside from perhaps in KS.

This morning we are talking a major outbreak, this afternoon it's Moderate down to Enhanced... something about Saturdays recently. These setups are almost becoming the 'cry wolf' scenario. What is it with morning convection ruining the atmosphere at the moment? 

I highly doubt there will be a downgrade to Enhanced.  There isn't any backbuilding of the MCS in western Oklahoma.  Just have to wait and see.

Whoa whoa whoa, let's slow down for just one collar-pickin minute here.  SPC doesn't explicitly mention a downgrade.  It mentions an adjustment, one that I could easily see coming at 1630 UTC.  That adjustment would likely be to drop western KS from the moderate risk, but I doubt we see anything more than that.  As has been mentioned, convection is not backbuilding in TX, we don't have a giant MCS, and cold pool areal extent is small.  Several runs of the HRRR, which all have had a good handle of ongoing convection, each have developed numerous discrete cells in a prime parameter space in a classic synoptic setup.  Though I can understand not going High Risk with some VBV questions and exact location of mesoscale features still in question, any talk of a total downgrade is really not appropriate.

Archived