joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 15th-16th Severe Events

andyhb

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00Z NAM soundings across W KS/OK are very impressive... In KS, you have better backing of the SFC flow, but have more of an issue with VBV... in Oklahoma you have slightly less backing of SFC flow but less of issue with VBV. And even then VBV isn't that much of an issue in all the soundings.

I've seen several models wanting to put a supercell through OKC/vicinity tomorrow.

Those same models have been pretty consistent in that scenario for several model runs/days... In any event, much of western/central OK is about to have a dangerous day ahead... KS target is a bit more conditional imo due to morning convection... But models have remained consistent with much of OK recovering no matter what, and with much of OK really not seeing much in the way of morning convection really anyways. Tornado Outbreak seems like a pretty decent possibility at least across Oklahoma, and possibly KS. I'm interested to see the SPC's thoughts in the next D1SWO

For the love of all that's holy... please no open warm sector storms invof I-35 tomorrow. Last Wed (5/6) just reminded me of why I told myself after chases like 31 May 2013 that it's more painful to attempt chasing these metro events than just to have a non-event or bust. Love that SPC WRF depiction focused across W OK and SW KS.

Fun little fact that OKC area chasers can never forget, but some may not realize: the last true multi-storm dryline tornado outbreak focused on W OK was 9 October 2001. Let that sink in for a minute, after looking at any sort of long-term tornado climatology. Last week when Fri 5/8 and Sat 5/9 looked so incredible on the models, my friend and I remarked "well, we know it has to find a way to fall apart because W OK is ground zero." That was already a joke 7 or 8 years ago when we first started chasing seriously, and it's never failed yet. One of these days...

Regarding current convection, I see one area organizing into an MCS from Friona to Sudan in TX, with everything else looking fairly disorganized, maybe a small MCS coming out of the cluster NW of Midland.

fwiw, 4KM NAM is doing a fabulous job thus far handling convection in E NM and W/NW TX... Showing the little complex over the OK/TX panhandle and two mini bows/clusters along the NM/TX border further south... Even slightly to the east of where the 00Z run showed it would be at 05Z.

Seems most of the hi res models signal higher end potential. Overall this one has trended better into gametime vs last go. Were still clearing the main zone last week around noon.. HRRR (yeah end run, but has friends) gets anything out of there much earlier and goes to town after. Mod tor with first update or wait till morning?

Allegedly the Torrington/Goshen Co. WY tornado from this afternoon: https://www.facebook.com/casey.blevins.9/videos/10200661884107442/?__mref=message_bubble

Going to end up being the best May since 2004 probably if you look strictly at the number of days on which it was technically possible to see something awesome in good terrain on the Plains. Difficulty level? Not so much.

Allegedly the Torrington/Goshen Co. WY tornado from this afternoon: https://www.facebook.com/casey.blevins.9/videos/10200661884107442/?__mref=message_bubble

Going to end up being the best May since 2004 probably if you look strictly at the number of days on which it was technically possible to see something awesome in good terrain on the Plains. Difficulty level? Not so much.

Bump...

Cell reminds me of the Windsor, CO storm from 5/22/08.

Seems likely that the ongoing convection/MCS will be substantially less detrimental to tomorrow's event than it was last Saturday (which obviously ain't saying a lot). This should be more of a traditional significant-but-flawed late-season event with concerns over the timing of recovery/backing of surface winds, and the meridional/VBV issues in some areas. I'll take that at this point. Latest HRRR wants to initiate the main show along the DL by 19z-20z, which probably isn't worth taking too literally at this range -- but if that comes to pass, I'm concerned low-level shear will be suboptimal for the first couple hours of mature supercell life cycles. If initiation awaits the 21-22z timeframe and mode can remain truly discrete through dusk, I'd expect a couple significant tornadoes for sure.

Seems likely that the ongoing convection/MCS will be substantially less detrimental to tomorrow's event than it was last Saturday (which obviously ain't saying a lot). This should be more of a traditional significant-but-flawed late-season event with concerns over the timing of recovery/backing of surface winds, and the meridional/VBV issues in some areas. I'll take that at this point. Latest HRRR wants to initiate the main show along the DL by 19z-20z, which probably isn't worth taking too literally at this range -- but if that comes to pass, I'm concerned low-level shear will be suboptimal for the first couple hours of mature supercell life cycles. If initiation awaits the 21-22z timeframe and mode can remain truly discrete through dusk, I'd expect a couple significant tornadoes for sure.

Not sure I fully agree with the late-season categorization given the strength of this trough and associated mid/upper level wind fields is significantly stronger than any event you'd expect to see on a more regular basis in late May/early June (not sure what span of time you are using for defining late-season though). Concern about low level jet strength early on is valid, although localized low level backing may cause additional enhancements to low level shear. Can't say I wouldn't expect it either given the SLP tendencies with time.

Not sure I fully agree with the late-season categorization given the strength of this trough and associated mid/upper level wind fields is significantly stronger than any event you'd expect to see on a more regular basis in late May/early June (not sure what span of time you are using for defining late-season though). Concern about low level jet strength early on is valid, although localized low level backing may cause additional enhancements to low level shear. Can't say I wouldn't expect it either given the SLP tendencies with time.

To clarify: by "late-season" I was mainly referring to the thermodynamic characteristics, where overnight convection can modulate but usually not completely decimate a setup (with last week's setups being pretty anomalous for May in TX/OK).

To clarify: by "late-season" I was mainly referring to the thermodynamic characteristics, where overnight convection can modulate but usually not completely decimate a setup (with last week's setups being pretty anomalous for May in TX/OK).

Ah, ok, makes sense.

when I saw how large the moderate risk was even before reading the disco, I thought yeah, this is looking like today could be the high risk day that we've been looking for. i'm not chasing today but if I was, I would put my target starting point somewhere around OKC to monitor and then go from there. I think locally for the metroplex I don't see a huge severe weather threat, maybe hail and winds, hoping that today does not produce tornadoes over populated areas of Oklahoma and Kansas that's for sure..

Archived