• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rain fail.  .05" from PM shower and .04" from line of convection. Not enough again to wet the pavement under the trees.  Cut the grass way to short yesterday thinking we were going to get a good soak with this system. Perennials will have to stay wilted not enough water in the well to continue watering the lawn and gardens.  One of these fronts has to produce something.  Looking at the radar at 1030pm there is a perfect line of no qpf to my west.  Rain to the north and south but nothing west of me. 

Yeah I'm holding out hope for that. Many of the convective models drive an MCS through here. I'm fine without jackpotting...but more than 0.05" would be nice.

lol...0.05" on the nose this evening. All of the pine trees are browning...not just roadside ones either.

Seeing a bunch of 2-3" amounts now in the heart of the band, especially western slopes of Mansfield in Underhill/Cambridge up through northern Lamoille County.

Up around 1.75" here now but we'll get a total when it shuts off soon (if it does). 

BTV putting up hourly amounts of 0.45" and 0.43" in the deformation zone.

Seeing a bunch of 2-3" amounts now in the heart of the band, especially western slopes of Mansfield in Underhill/Cambridge up through northern Lamoille County.

Up around 1.75" here now but we'll get a total when it shuts off soon (if it does).

BTV putting up hourly amounts of 0.45" and 0.43" in the deformation zone.

Must be super lush over your way. 0.16" over nite.

lol...0.05" on the nose this evening. All of the pine trees are browning...not just roadside ones either.

That's got more to do with having too much rain over the past few years, according to the UNH extension office.  It's a fungus that damages the pine needles, causing them to drop prematurely the following season.  It was locally widespread last year and seems worse this year.  All the megapines around me are going to drop an excessive number of needles again this year-- they're very yellow/brown.

The fungus (there may be more than one species) has been killing 2nd-year needles on white pine in western Maine for about 3 years now.  I was hoping this spring's modest rainfall might slow the browning, but it's on par with recent years.  Got a nice thunder-free 0.99" drink last night, all in about 4-5 hr, rates heavy enough to occasionally blank out the satellite TV, though unfortunately not the 7th inning disaster at Fenway.

That's got more to do with having too much rain over the past few years, according to the UNH extension office.  It's a fungus that damages the pine needles, causing them to drop prematurely the following season.  It was locally widespread last year and seems worse this year.  All the megapines around me are going to drop an excessive number of needles again this year-- they're very yellow/brown.

Interesting. I always see the usual salt infected pines along heavily winter treated roadways, but the interior ones away from the road were new to me. You can see the very brown one in the backyard on my cam.

Must be super lush over your way. 0.16" over nite.

Last night around midnight the dog and I walked out back to take a look at the river that runs through town and passes through the property...and it's normally knee deep or less, crystal clear water etc. Last night I could hear it from the kitchen so it was time to go see...and holy sheet was it raging. It was a like 6 foot deep muddy torrent where the river was just about out of the bank (like swift moving water infringing on the tree canopy on either side). The dog wanted nothing to do with it as she could sense the power. I had here tight leashed but she wouldn't go anywhere near the river last night.

It's calmed down a lot now, no more whole trees floating by.

Man, been brutal in you area recently..

.Meanwhile PF is doing the backstroke in the Stowe parking lot.

Picked up .51 total yesterday..slow and steady, keeping everything green.

1.76" here will do it with the heaviest rainfall again occurring over Chittenden and Lamoille County into the NEK. 

Mansfield's northern slope was the winner with 2.20" at the Jeffersonville Co-op on the north side of Smugglers Notch.

thats woodstock from the big storm, they got crushed,

Observation Methods

East of the Continental Divide, RFCs derive the "Observed" precipitation field using a multisensor approach. Hourly precipitation estimates from WSR-88D NEXRAD are compared to ground rainfall gauge reports, and a bias (correction factor) is calculated and applied to the radar field. The radar and gauge fields are combined into a "multisensor field", which is quality controlled on an hourly basis. In areas where there is limited or no radar coverage, satellite precipitation estimates (SPE) can be incorporated into this multisensor field. The SPE can also be biased against rain gauge reports.

http://water.weather.gov/precip/about.php

Beautiful day today.  Really, really hoping we can get into some decent rain later tonight and tomorrow.  After Brian mentioned the White Pines I started really noticing today they are turning brown.  My pond is down to the last 2 feet.  Best thing about a good soak is that it would shut up my constant whining about lack of rain and missing every shower.  I sound like the SNE guys during a snow drought!  

Editing with the new 18Z NAM.  We can see where this is going, north and south.  At least multiple chances over the next week

post-268-0-90599700-1434313071_thumb.jpg

It's fascinating the differences between there and here.  Since May 10th, between J.Spin and my area we've had 9-11" of rainfall.

Seeing this post, I just checked my numbers via the CoCoRaHS website – it looks like the total is 11.90” of liquid for that stretch as of this morning, and it was still pouring when I left the house.  Based on my data set, I guess this is somewhat par for the course because June averages over 7” of rain and appears to be the wettest month of the year in this area.  That average may come down with time, but June 2015 is only going to reinforce it and raise it because we’ve already had above that mean for the month and we’re only halfway though.  Using my numbers, we’re closing in on making up for the dry winter months and catching up on the liquid for the calendar year; another 4-5” of additional rainfall by the end of the month is what it would take to catch up to that average.  At least it hasn’t been like some months where I can hardly find a dry window to mow the grass; we’ve been getting plenty of moisture, but there have been long enough dry interludes to get in some mowing.

Archived