• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol I'm not even sure if it snowed up here during the January storm.

Looks like J.Spin had 0.22" and here was 0.14" for that event.  Either way, it was a non-event that January blizzard.  Sucks because the EURO was advertising over 1" of QPF even 12 hours prior to start time.]

With how cold the second half of winter was, I'm sure our SDD would be significantly different if we got a 2.17" QPF snowstorm in January that then sat on the ground for the rest of winter.

Like J.Spin mentioned, we've really struggled the past two winters getting a big snowstorm (like 18"+), whether upslope or synoptic or a combination of the two.  Its rare for the Spine to not rattle off at least a couple of those per season.

I’ve got another seasonal plot updated below:

06-15snowpack.jpg

From the plot it’s easy to see how this past season’s snowpack (red line) was really whittled down quite heavily after that holiday period, and then it sort of languished there in the single digits until February came around.  I’m guessing the January storm you’re talking about was Winter Storm Juno – we picked up 3.5” from that one, bringing the snowpack up to 11.0” depth.  That was actually the start of the rise in snowpack after those January doldrums, but the contribution to the snowpack was nothing like what two inches of liquid would have done.

As you can see from the plot, snowpack did recover to roughly average (green fill) as we moved into February though – and boy, it would be hard to draw a more average snowpack line than this season’s March and April period.

That January plateau in the mean snowpack is really getting entrenched now.  It may not be real in a long-term sense, but it’s going to take some better January periods to smooth that out of the data set.

That January plateau in the mean snowpack is really getting entrenched now.  It may not be real in a long-term sense, but it’s going to take some better January periods to smooth that out of the data set.

IIRC, you've had 3 straight meh Januarys, "hardening" the plateau.  My last 3 also look meh, at least as a goup, averaging 15.9" vs my 17-yr avg of 19.8" for Jan.  Of course, that 3-yr run includes 36.8" this year, by 9.3" my snowiest Jan here, but it followed years where Jan brought 5.7" and 5.1".  Generally the median snowfall numbers are less than the average, because the top end is unbounded.  January here has a median 3.1" higher than the avg, thanks to 9 of 17 years landing in the range 22.6" to 27.5".

We've been finding several different interesting ways to dodge the decent rains this spring. Hopefully the main line pays off.

Watch it die for lack of instability as it encounters the eastern mank.

1.55" and absolutely pouring at 6:45am.

Wow.  Just got home and at 4pm there is another 1.09" in the Stratus Gauge.... storm total so far of 2.64" with another batch of rain approaching from the Adirondacks.

I'm looking around at mesonet stations and the nearby automatic stations are around 2.25" in Stowe and Waterbury for a storm total...so I'm wondering how I have almost a half inch more.  Its making me double think it, but I definitely emptied 1.55" this morning, and then another 1.09" this afternoon. 

Well it looks like they adjusted the river forecast now. We will see.

Flood Warning now.

The Winooski River has to be getting crushed as a widespread portion of its basin from BTV back through Waterbury, and then north up through Stowe where the West Branch of the Little River feeds into it, has picked up over 2" of rainfall through noon today...and we are adding to that now.

Then this round looks like it may have put down another 1-2" along the Western Slopes.  There's actually a bit of a blocked flow on the West Slopes that really caused some incredibly heavy rainfall along I-89 in Jonesville/Bolton/Richmond up towards Underhill and Jeffersonville.  Someone in that area could be near 4" storm total if they were near 2" at 7am this morning.

June_9b_zpsrkpn7xtj.gif

Holy crap....right there at I-89 on the western slopes, Jonesville PWS has picked up 3.68" so far today and still pouring.  The Bolton Valley base area station is up to 3.08" (3.40" 2-day total) too. 

They've both picked up like 2" of rain in the past hour.  That's gotta be causing some flash flooding somewhere in there.

J.Spin...if you see this, how much did you get today?  With 3-4 inch amounts coming in along the western slope, that usually finds its way into your area too.

Lots of issues now where those 3-4" amounts are in Jonesville and Bolton Valley. 

BV Access Road washed out, and water now over RT 2 in Jonesville.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT557 PM EDT TUE JUN 09 2015..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON.....DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....            ..REMARKS..0556 PM     FLASH FLOOD      BOLTON                  44.38N  72.89W06/09/2015                   CHITTENDEN         VT   LAW ENFORCEMENT            BOLTON VALLEY ACCESS ROAD WASHED OUT

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT556 PM EDT TUE JUN 09 2015..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON.....DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....            ..REMARKS..0555 PM     FLOOD            RICHMOND                44.41N  72.99W06/09/2015                   CHITTENDEN         VT   LAW ENFORCEMENT            WATER OVER DUGWAY AND COCHRAN ROADS IN RICHMOND

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT555 PM EDT TUE JUN 09 2015..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON.....DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....            ..REMARKS..0554 PM     FLOOD            JONESVILLE              44.38N  72.94W06/09/2015                   CHITTENDEN         VT   LAW ENFORCEMENT            WATER OVER ROUTE 2 NEAR MONITOR BARN IN JONESVILLE

Wow.  Just got home and at 4pm there is another 1.09" in the Stratus Gauge.... storm total so far of 2.64" with another batch of rain approaching from the Adirondacks.

Add another 0.66" to that total, and this fell in under 30 minutes. 

So 2.64" plus the latest 0.66" and I'm up to 3.30" since early yesterday morning.

It is not as bad here at the dam sp far as it was last time but it still will rise more. I will try to check again once it does.

Yeah give it some time for this latest round of heavy rain to move downsteam from the Spine area.  I'd imagine with the flash flooding going on out near Richmond/Bolton, and how high the river is in Stowe (which will feed into the Winooski), there will be some lag time before another solid rise.  With a general 0.5-2.0" falling in that last batch, it'll take some time to work down river.

Yeah give it some time for this latest round of heavy rain to move downsteam from the Spine area.  I'd imagine with the flash flooding going on out near Richmond/Bolton, and how high the river is in Stowe (which will feed into the Winooski), there will be some lag time before another solid rise.  With a general 0.5-2.0" falling in that last batch, it'll take some time to work down river.

Oh definitely. That water has to go somewhere. The projected crest at Essex Junction is somewhere around daybreak. There is somewhat of a drop now at that gauge but that can't hold with that water coming.

Nothing like that on this side of the spine. We were dry from noon until 4:30 or so. Was at the golf course watching the line on radar coming out of NY through the CPV and smash into the spine. The radar presentation was a sight that would have infuriated eek. As soon as the line started hitting the mountains just to the west of us, the orange pixels would disappear. We got an hour or so of moderate to heavy rain but no wind and didn't even hear any distant thunder. Stopped raining around 5:45 and we got our round in. By the end it was actually pretty nice out.

Nothing like that on this side of the spine. We were dry from noon until 4:30 or so. Was at the golf course watching the line on radar coming out of NY through the CPV and smash into the spine. The radar presentation was a sight that would have infuriated eek. As soon as the line started hitting the mountains just to the west of us, the orange pixels would disappear. We got an hour or so of moderate to heavy rain but no wind and didn't even hear any distant thunder. Stopped raining around 5:45 and we got our round in. By the end it was actually pretty nice out.

Just reading this got my blood pressure elevated.

10:06 and there is still a trace of light in the sky.  It's so far away from due west, too, solidly NW. 

That's one thing I don't like about Key West.... the sun comes straight down and you get what feels like 10-15 minutes of twilight before it's totally dark.

Looked it up.... the sun only gets 23 degrees below the horizon this time of year.  It seems total darkness starts around -14 degrees, so we're not that far off from having endless twilight.

Holy crap....right there at I-89 on the western slopes, Jonesville PWS has picked up 3.68" so far today and still pouring.  The Bolton Valley base area station is up to 3.08" (3.40" 2-day total) too.

They've both picked up like 2" of rain in the past hour.  That's gotta be causing some flash flooding somewhere in there.

J.Spin...if you see this, how much did you get today?  With 3-4 inch amounts coming in along the western slope, that usually finds its way into your area too.

We’ve had what looks to be about 1.1” of liquid since I emptied the gauge this morning, so it looks like we’re around 3 inches of liquid for this stretch.

Lots of issues now where those 3-4" amounts are in Jonesville and Bolton Valley.

BV Access Road washed out, and water now over RT 2 in Jonesville.

Parts of the yards on the north side of Route 2 had begun to flood when I was passing through Jonesville at 6:38 P.M. on the way home from Burlington.  I was able to just stick my iPhone out the window of my car to get a picture since police were already controlling traffic and I had to stop for a few seconds.  There was no water on Route 2 itself (as you can see from the image below) but police had already closed the bridge over the Winooski, so I’m not sure what was going on across the river.  A local news camera (maybe WCAX?) was just setting up as I was passing through, so I suspect there will be footage on the news tonight.

09JUN15A.jpg

Archived