joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2nd annual spring/summer thread for the mountains

Met1985

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol. Didnt even see your post when I typed that. I was blazing through the thread and came across the word "frost" and was temporarily blinded by a euphoria only present when one has experienced excessive heat for extended durations and suddenly is exposed to exceedingly cold temps. Lets just say I was overly excited!

Lol post of the morning!

temperature changes with elevation. Just because it's 46 at the airport does not mean it's 46 at 5000ft or even above 3000. Read more, post less and learn something.

It can snow at 49 degrees.  http://www.quora.com/What-is-the-warmest-temperature-that-snow-has-been-recorded-at

I have seen it snow in the upper 40's in Wyoming.  Actually, it was warmer than that but quickly cooled due to a passing snow shower.  The very dry air under the base of the cloud and very steep lapse rates allowed the snow to reach the ground. It wasn't hail or graupel. (Inverted V sounding)

It can snow at 49 degrees. http://www.quora.com/What-is-the-warmest-temperature-that-snow-has-been-recorded-at

I have seen it snow in the upper 40's in Wyoming. Actually, it was warmer than that but quickly cooled due to a passing snow shower. The very dry air under the base of the cloud and very steep lapse rates allowed the snow to reach the ground. It wasn't hail or graupel. (Inverted V sounding)

Yeah in seen the same thing here in the mountains. It will be 40 some degrees and we will get a real heavy snow shower. Crazy because the flakes are pretty big.

I honestly thought I was hallucinating. I mean how is it even possible to get snow when it's in the 50s ? Its kinda funny because that year we had no snow whatsoever except when temps were in the 50s. It was 2011-12 I believe.

Yeah that was an awful year. My first year on the board. We only had 14 inches that season.

I can't even imagine living in a place where 14 inches is a bad winter lol. How much do you average per winter ?

Lol yeah its all relative. I average between 40 to 50 inches a year at my location. There are places in my same county that average much less and there are places that average higher. Haywood county is very diverse in elevation and when it comes to upslope snow which is a bug contributor to my average. Like last year from November 1st to November 30th I already had about 15 inches for the season.

Lol yeah its all relative. I average between 40 to 50 inches a year at my location. There are places in my same county that average much less and there are places that average higher. Haywood county is very diverse in elevation and when it comes to upslope snow which is a bug contributor to my average. Like last year from November 1st to November 30th I already had about 15 inches for the season.

Haywood County, NC is the highest average elevation east of Colorado, IIRC.

Leaves were already starting to change at Graveyard Field when I went by on Saturday evening. I would say it's about 25-30% to peak (which should be 2-3 weeks from now).

I am looking for any early peak this year due to the ongoing rainfall deficit.  I think we will have to move peak times up around a week as I have seen some small maples around town already beginning to show some beautiful reds.  Glad you are doing a time-lapse this year man.  I started mine the other night getting some astrolapse footage as filler.  Not sure how the leaves looked at 6000' since it was dark ha, but I would imagine they were the same as Graveyard Fields.  Last year the peak was in the middle of week 1-2 of October for above 5000' to peak so if we are already seeing color, I would bet that the peak will be a tad earlier than last year.  

My apologies Met, I was just picking with him and did not expect him to be so rude. And no it isn't a misunderstanding, it's the truth.

Since my climatology and proximity are very close to the mountains, I will posting in here more often. I hope you don't mind. Speaking of which, where's my buddy SnoJoe? Does he only post during the winter?

Well hopefully we can just put things behind us and we can all get along. I do know that Franklin county is a pretty diverse area also with elevation but it's no big deal. Also the more posters the better. Makes my starting a mountain thread better to read. And as for SnoJoe he post the most in the fall and winter especially when we have a threat here in the mountains.

yes, Haywood County, NC has the highest average elevation of any county east of the Rockies at 3,600 feet - Haywood County has 14 mountains over 6,000 feet

I always thought that was Avery County? I know their Chamber of Commerce advertises the same thing:

http://averycounty.com/relocation-info/avery-county-history

I always thought that was Avery County? I know their Chamber of Commerce advertises the same thing:

http://averycounty.com/relocation-info/avery-county-history

I think you are correct about Avery County.

However, my place is on the Haywood/Jackson County line and comes in at a nosebleed elevation of 6130 feet to be precise and I maintain all bragging rights of AW members in NC when it comes to elevation! :)

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.464354,-83.113412,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1s103376970!2e1!3e10!6s%2F%2Fstorage.googleapis.com%2Fstatic.panoramio.com%2Fphotos%2Fmedium%2F103376970.jpg!7i2928!8i856

I am looking for any early peak this year due to the ongoing rainfall deficit.  I think we will have to move peak times up around a week as I have seen some small maples around town already beginning to show some beautiful reds.  Glad you are doing a time-lapse this year man.  I started mine the other night getting some astrolapse footage as filler.  Not sure how the leaves looked at 6000' since it was dark ha, but I would imagine they were the same as Graveyard Fields.  Last year the peak was in the middle of week 1-2 of October for above 5000' to peak so if we are already seeing color, I would bet that the peak will be a tad earlier than last year.  

Yeah, I'm really excited about doing this project. I wanted to do an astrolapse this past weekend as well, but I didn't feel comfortable staying more than 30 minutes at an overlook by myself on a cold night. I'll have to wait until mid-October to do one with Milky Way's Great Rift with a friend or two... although I'm not sure the brightest part will be visible by then because of the position in space. I had a good amount of astrophotography practice over the summer, but last weekend was my first time in a spot dark enough to see the Great Rift so I wanted to get some practice before doing an astrolapse. Here are my shots from Saturday:

vNYfU6G.jpg

8snFNyh.jpg

Obviously, I blacked out my real name from these pictures because I would rather stay anonymous online lol (although some members of this forum know me personally). I would post more, but I also don't want to go too far off-thread :)

Yeah, I'm really excited about doing this project. I wanted to do an astrolapse this past weekend as well, but I didn't feel comfortable staying more than 30 minutes at an overlook by myself on a cold night. I'll have to wait until mid-October to do one with Milky Way's Great Rift with a friend or two... although I'm not sure the brightest part will be visible by then because of the position in space. I had a good amount of astrophotography practice over the summer, but last weekend was my first time in a spot dark enough to see the Great Rift so I wanted to get some practice before doing an astrolapse. Here are my shots from Saturday:

Obviously, I blacked out my real name from these pictures because I would rather stay anonymous online lol (although some members of this forum know me personally). I would post more, but I also don't want to go too far off-thread :)

Nice man looks like you are getting a good handle on it!

What is this crap? Show a radar picture that shows RAIN. Just a suggestion.

centgrtlakes.gif

BTW, I moved back home today. Fall is Wed. Winter to follow. Let's light this candle ! This winter is going to be EPIC! Even Donald Trump said he was going "look into it". I'm looking at 100" this year minimum.

The radar is ground clutter. Iv seen it a few times. Bugs in the air lol. Nice for you to be back. High expectations! A banner year no matter what! We have not had a really good year since 2010-11 and that ended early in February.

Archived