joxey
2nd annual spring/summer thread for the mountains

Met1985

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7.39" of Rain on Eastern Escarpment

From Rays Weather:

In the eastern half of the Appalachians, rain has exceeded expectations both in terms on overall quantity and dogged persistence. Here's one data point: At my house, near Bamboo Gap, measurable rain has been recorded every hour since 11 PM Thursday night. Total rain for the event as of 6:30 AM Monday is 7.39". I have never seen rain continuously for 80 hours. 

Overnight rain tapers off this morning. The rest of Monday has occasional rain and drizzle--not pretty, but maybe a break in the rain here and there. The conveyor belt of moisture from the Atlantic finally begins to break down today. But the next surge of tropical moisture arrives Tuesday, this time from the Eastern Gulf. Rain will be with us every day at least through Friday, maybe into Saturday. Now that the ground is saturated and rivers/creeks are full, flooding potential exists this week. 

7.39" of Rain on Eastern Escarpment

From Rays Weather:

In the eastern half of the Appalachians, rain has exceeded expectations both in terms on overall quantity and dogged persistence. Here's one data point: At my house, near Bamboo Gap, measurable rain has been recorded every hour since 11 PM Thursday night. Total rain for the event as of 6:30 AM Monday is 7.39". I have never seen rain continuously for 80 hours.

Overnight rain tapers off this morning. The rest of Monday has occasional rain and drizzle--not pretty, but maybe a break in the rain here and there. The conveyor belt of moisture from the Atlantic finally begins to break down today. But the next surge of tropical moisture arrives Tuesday, this time from the Eastern Gulf. Rain will be with us every day at least through Friday, maybe into Saturday. Now that the ground is saturated and rivers/creeks are full, flooding potential exists this week.

Yep this is an exceptional little pattern we have been in. A drought buster then maybe flooding.

6Z GFS continues its trend of bringing Joaquin further south and west, which is a whole different monster for our friends down east. Although, this particular run did show a majority of us getting 15+ inches of rain.

The ULL adds an interesting twist but no matter what looks like we are gonna stay in this wet pattern for a while

6Z GFS continues its trend of bringing Joaquin further south and west, which is a whole different monster for our friends down east. Although, this particular run did show a majority of us getting 15+ inches of rain.

The ULL adds an interesting twist but no matter what looks like we are gonna stay in this wet pattern for a while

Yesh this whole setup is pretty neat and unique. This next 48 hours is going to be interesting. To just think 7 days ago we were in a pretty good drought and now look.

Feels like the first day in nearly a week where I saw the sun for an extended period of time.

What is everyone thinking about Joaquin? Any chance we feel her effects or do you think the ULL is our major concern. As a person the threat of 10+ inches of rain again is terrifying but as a weather fanatic it is fascinating to think about. 

Feels like the first day in nearly a week where I saw the sun for an extended period of time.

What is everyone thinking about Joaquin? Any chance we feel her effects or do you think the ULL is our major concern. As a person the threat of 10+ inches of rain again is terrifying but as a weather fanatic it is fascinating to think about.

Yeah we paid for seeing the sun today. We have got hammered this evening. Heavy heavy rain with lighting and thunder. We have picked up another 1.54 inches just this evening. The river is up and creeks are way up almost running out of the banks. As for what is down the road well its still to early to really say one thing or the other but it is a concern.

Ok guys how much rain are we gonna get. I think the southern escarpment is gonna get hammered.

I agree. I think this ULL is going to be big trouble for the mountains. We just got hammered again this evening with a very heavy storm and flipping cold to. Current temp is 56 degrees. Typical fall weather lol. Well what about 6 to 12 inches if rainfall. Sounds pretty good. I was listening to Jason Boyer last night and he said a home owner on Black Mountain recorded 23 inches of rainfall in 6 days. That is incredible.

Archived