joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2nd annual spring/summer thread for the mountains

Met1985

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you ever feel like you're talking to yourself? About time to crank up the fall/winter reports :) Your cold air brings us our less hot air :D

Lol seems that way this summer. Has not been a lot of posting by the mountain peeps. Yeah will probably start winter thread in October. I like our odds for some big snows this winter.

Lol seems that way this summer. Has not been a lot of posting by the mountain peeps. Yeah will probably start winter thread in October. I like our odds for some big snows this winter.

Per the Weather Bell Outlook..I'm expecting something like 150" of snow at the 6100 foot level on my mountain, with 10 feet snow drifts that will blocks access to the mountain for months! :) (Actually, this kind of thing as happened before under El Nino/-NAO type setup.

Starting to pack for my trip to the mountain on Saturday.  Fall is already in progress up there with highs will only be in the upper 50's due to extremely steep lapse rates as one heads from Waynesville on up. I will return with some pics and weather observations to share for sure.

Per the Weather Bell Outlook..I'm expecting something like 150" of snow at the 6100 foot level on my mountain, with 10 feet snow drifts that will blocks access to the mountain for months! :) (Actually, this kind of thing as happened before under El Nino/-NAO type setup.

Starting to pack for my trip to the mountain on Saturday. Fall is already in progress up there with highs will only be in the upper 50's due to extremely steep lapse rates as one heads from Waynesville on up. I will return with some pics and weather observations to share for sure.

is it still for sale?

is it still for sale?

Yes.  Somebody almost bought it but his wife killed the deal.  Too far from shopping no doubt! :)

Quite the bargain. Comes with its own observation tower with a 200 mile view along with a rain gauge that is still being used by UNC and Duke U for weather research.  You can easily watch the storms form on Clingman's Dome or Lake Toxoway or be treated to an early morning undercast below you.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.464354,-83.113412,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1s103376970!2e1!3e10!6s%2F%2Fstorage.googleapis.com%2Fstatic.panoramio.com%2Fphotos%2Fmedium%2F103376970.jpg!7i2928!8i856

Any real weather weenie would die for this place! Ha! :)

Yes. Somebody almost bought it but his wife killed the deal. Too far from shopping no doubt! :)

Quite the bargain. Comes with its own observation tower with a 200 mile view along with a rain gauge that is still being used by UNC and Duke U for weather research. You can easily watch the storms form on Clingman's Dome or Lake Toxoway or be treated to an early morning undercast below you.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.464354,-83.113412,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1s103376970!2e1!3e10!6s%2F%2Fstorage.googleapis.com%2Fstatic.panoramio.com%2Fphotos%2Fmedium%2F103376970.jpg!7i2928!8i856

I would love to live there! Would have to sell some of my property first. Still would have to convince the wife too.

I would love to live there! Would have to sell some of my property first. Still would have to convince the wife too.

You can't really live there as often there is no Winter access for weeks at a time unless you are inclined to walk several miles uphill, snowshoe, ski, use a snowmobile or have one fully tripped out truck with monster tires.(Or stock up on essentials and live like a hermit!)  Also, the amount of time the place is in the fog/cloud is enough to drive anyone batty. It can be relentless.  A more modest plan of a vacation home would certainly work however! Convincing the wife will be nearly an impossible task. Good luck with that! :)

The weather up there this weekend looks very damp to say the least.  I hope my tent doesn't leak!

Yes.  Somebody almost bought it but his wife killed the deal.  Too far from shopping no doubt! :)

Quite the bargain. Comes with its own observation tower with a 200 mile view along with a rain gauge that is still being used by UNC and Duke U for weather research.  You can easily watch the storms form on Clingman's Dome or Lake Toxoway or be treated to an early morning undercast below you.

So I guess my classmates sometimes hike up to your place, huh? Sadly, funding are running dry for UNCA/Duke rain gauge network so it wouldn't surprise me if my professor take that one down real soon.

So I guess my classmates sometimes hike up to your place, huh? Sadly, funding are running dry for UNCA/Duke rain gauge network so it wouldn't surprise me if my professor take that one down real soon.

Seems like they must still have some funding for this Fall at least:

http://www.atms.unca.edu/dmiller/courses/miller_ugr_gsmrgn.pdf

Per the Weather Bell Outlook..I'm expecting something like 150" of snow at the 6100 foot level on my mountain, with 10 feet snow drifts that will blocks access to the mountain for months! :) (Actually, this kind of thing as happened before under El Nino/-NAO type setup.

Starting to pack for my trip to the mountain on Saturday. Fall is already in progress up there with highs will only be in the upper 50's due to extremely steep lapse rates as one heads from Waynesville on up. I will return with some pics and weather observations to share for sure.

Mike I'm hopefull that this winter is a good one for all the mountains. I'm not sure really what to expect after getting burned last winter. Still look for land around Haywood. Hey Franklin how many acres do you own?

18 Z Model Sounding for tomorrow afternoon looks nice. Shows some decent ML CAPE  but very little wind through the whole column with winds light out of the NW at anvil level but a building low level East wind as a back door cold front moves in. (Just barely enough shear to create a little bit of organization to an otherwise pulse type regimen.)  Storms should have little difficulty firing off in the Plotts Balsams with no CAP present and will generally regenerate towards the SW producing some locally very heavy rain.(NAM suggest some 2" amounts)  The low level lapse rate will be dry to super adiabatic changing to moist adiabatic right at the mountain top with the sounding suggesting the clouds will be just touching the summit.  Temps should drop a full 20 degrees from when I drive from the Walmart parking lot in Waynesville to the summit of Mt. Lyn Lowry. (I may verify this.)  With no CAP present, I suspect the storms will have fired off before I have a chance to get up there.

http://climate.cod.edu/hanis/model/fsound/index.php?type=12|NAM|SE|850|temp|30|*130,141*|false

Mike I'm hopefull that this winter is a good one for all the mountains. I'm not sure really what to expect after getting burned last winter. Still look for land around Haywood. Hey Franklin how many acres do you own?

just under 2 for my personal house. I'm hoping a parcel that sits next to mine comes up for sale, I would then have over 4.

I am looking for a good upslope spot around haywood/Jackson County. My wife stepped down from her head postion in the O.R and now has a cushy office job. Now we don't have to live close to the hospital here.

18 Z Model Sounding for tomorrow afternoon looks nice. Shows some decent ML CAPE but very little wind through the whole column with winds light out of the NW at anvil level but a building low level East wind as a back door cold front moves in. (Just barely enough shear to create a little bit of organization to an otherwise pulse type regimen.) Storms should have little difficulty firing off in the Plotts Balsams with no CAP present and will generally regenerate towards the SW producing some locally very heavy rain.(NAM suggest some 2" amounts) The low level lapse rate will be dry to super adiabatic changing to moist adiabatic right at the mountain top with the sounding suggesting the clouds will be just touching the summit. Temps should drop a full 20 degrees from when I drive from the Walmart parking lot in Waynesville to the summit of Mt. Lyn Lowry. (I may verify this.) With no CAP present, I suspect the storms will have fired off before I have a chance to get up there.

http://climate.cod.edu/hanis/model/fsound/index.php?type=12|NAM|SE|850|temp|30|*130,141*|false

is there a gate to get into your subdivision? If so, would you mind sharing the code in case we chase this winter.

18 Z Model Sounding for tomorrow afternoon looks nice. Shows some decent ML CAPE but very little wind through the whole column with winds light out of the NW at anvil level but a building low level East wind as a back door cold front moves in. (Just barely enough shear to create a little bit of organization to an otherwise pulse type regimen.) Storms should have little difficulty firing off in the Plotts Balsams with no CAP present and will generally regenerate towards the SW producing some locally very heavy rain.(NAM suggest some 2" amounts) The low level lapse rate will be dry to super adiabatic changing to moist adiabatic right at the mountain top with the sounding suggesting the clouds will be just touching the summit. Temps should drop a full 20 degrees from when I drive from the Walmart parking lot in Waynesville to the summit of Mt. Lyn Lowry. (I may verify this.) With no CAP present, I suspect the storms will have fired off before I have a chance to get up there.

Mike how do you go up towards your property? Seems like you are in my neck of the woods a lot when you come in. Would love to take a hike up there sometime.

just under 2 for my personal house. I'm hoping a parcel that sits next to mine comes up for sale, I would then have over 4.

I am looking for a good upslope spot around haywood/Jackson County. My wife stepped down from her head postion in the O.R and now has a cushy office job. Now we don't have to live close to the hospital here.

Yeah same here on the land. I'm looking for 5+ but really trying to get around 10 acres. I want to put of some solar panels and try to be as off the grid as possible. Have a nice garden and maybe a barn for some horses. Land is extremely expensive around here.

is there a gate to get into your subdivision? If so, would you mind sharing the code in case we chase this winter.

Remind me off line and I will share it with you.  Keep in mind that the roads are not plowed.  The snowline is often at the 5500 foot level where there is a place to park a vehicle...next to a 4 wheel drive only sign. It is extremely steep at that location so it is best not to venture beyond that besides walking when it is icy.

To get up there..pretty simple. (Use Bing..Google does not accurately depict the road.) At the top of the hill at Balsam gap off of Highway 23..take Rosemont drive.  It goes through a tunnel under the Blue Ridge Parkway and turns from paved into a gravel road.  The road is then called Greenspire.  Eventually, there is a gate at the subdivision entrance.  Greenspire keeps going and ends near the top. At that point..there are 2 gated driveways...one that goes to the right..one that goes to the left.  The one on the left is Distant Ridge road which is my driveway.  From there it is a 10 to 15 minute walk up to the observation tower.  It you go to the right-it is a steep walk to the Mt. Lyn Lowry Cross.  

Check out the webcam of the mountain before you go-no point going up there in the fog-you won't see much!

http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/BuddynOreo/1/show.html

Remind me off line and I will share it with you. Keep in mind that the roads are not plowed. The snowline is often at the 5500 foot level where there is a place to park a vehicle...next to a 4 wheel drive only sign. It is extremely steep at that location so it is best not to venture beyond that besides walking when it is icy.

To get up there..pretty simple. (Use Bing..Google does not accurately depict the road.) At the top of the hill at Balsam gap off of Highway 23..take Rosemont drive. It goes through a tunnel under the Blue Ridge Parkway and turns from paved into a gravel road. The road is then called Greenspire. Eventually, there is a gate at the subdivision entrance. Greenspire keeps going and ends near the top. At that point..there are 2 gated driveways...one that goes to the right..one that goes to the left. The one on the left is Distant Ridge road which is my driveway. From there it is a 10 to 15 minute walk up to the observation tower. It you go to the right-it is a steep walk to the Mt. Lyn Lowry Cross.

Check out the webcam of the mountain before you go-no point going up there in the fog-you won't see much!

Nice Mike! Would love to do some wintet camping up there.

Remind me off line and I will share it with you. Keep in mind that the roads are not plowed. The snowline is often at the 5500 foot level where there is a place to park a vehicle...next to a 4 wheel drive only sign. It is extremely steep at that location so it is best not to venture beyond that besides walking when it is icy.

To get up there..pretty simple. (Use Bing..Google does not accurately depict the road.) At the top of the hill at Balsam gap off of Highway 23..take Rosemont drive. It goes through a tunnel under the Blue Ridge Parkway and turns from paved into a gravel road. The road is then called Greenspire. Eventually, there is a gate at the subdivision entrance. Greenspire keeps going and ends near the top. At that point..there are 2 gated driveways...one that goes to the right..one that goes to the left. The one on the left is Distant Ridge road which is my driveway. From there it is a 10 to 15 minute walk up to the observation tower. It you go to the right-it is a steep walk to the Mt. Lyn Lowry Cross.

hey. Thanks will do. Yeah, I have made it to that gate before. I'm interested in heading up there for an early or late season event. My truck should do fairly well on the trek up and down.

Finally out of the cloud and a mild 58 with almost no wind. Beautiful thunderstorm off towards the SW. Looks decent on radar moving away.

man, that sounds nice! It's 76 here and muggy. It's getting fairly dark and the winds are picking up.

We had a heck of a storm roll thru yesterday.

Mike, I take it you get 4g service up there? Is there a tower on your property?

Yes..good cell signal. There is an observation tower on property and a cell tower in the subdivision. There is utilities all the way to the top.

Amazing day here...blazing sun but quite cool..nice breeze finally developed. Last night a sudden rouge gust did a number on our tent.

Seems like they must still have some funding for this Fall at least:

http://www.atms.unca.edu/dmiller/courses/miller_ugr_gsmrgn.pdf

At least this fall he'll have a couple of students to go with him to check gauges. He didn't sound optimistic just few days ago in our research interest meeting that funding will last much longer after this year so he's trying to get started on a new project. 

Remind me off line and I will share it with you.  Keep in mind that the roads are not plowed.  The snowline is often at the 5500 foot level where there is a place to park a vehicle...next to a 4 wheel drive only sign. It is extremely steep at that location so it is best not to venture beyond that besides walking when it is icy.

To get up there..pretty simple. (Use Bing..Google does not accurately depict the road.) At the top of the hill at Balsam gap off of Highway 23..take Rosemont drive.  It goes through a tunnel under the Blue Ridge Parkway and turns from paved into a gravel road.  The road is then called Greenspire.  Eventually, there is a gate at the subdivision entrance.  Greenspire keeps going and ends near the top. At that point..there are 2 gated driveways...one that goes to the right..one that goes to the left.  The one on the left is Distant Ridge road which is my driveway.  From there it is a 10 to 15 minute walk up to the observation tower.  It you go to the right-it is a steep walk to the Mt. Lyn Lowry Cross.  

There's only one reliable way to get up that mountain.

medium800.jpg

Archived