joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2nd annual spring/summer thread for the mountains

Met1985

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ended up with about 5.5 inches since Sept. 30. Kinda "disappointing" numbers after seeing what the models put up and hearing what some forecasters put out this week. However, that is nearly 17 inches of rain in a two week span so i'm not complaining.

Yeah we had rain non stop yesterday but only bouts of very heavy rainfall. Looks like we are mostly done with this event hopefully. We really need to dry out. Poor Charleston and the SC coast are just getting killed.

Ray's Winter forecast for the mountains: http://raysweather.com/public/FearlessForecast.pdf

One thing I would like to point out that in such a Winter pattern that is expected; the location of heavy snow in many cases is not going to be where it is normally.  Your standard NW wind snow events probably won't be a big deal as arctic air masses from the Great Lakes will likely be limited and cold air may be more Westerly with the large scale zonal flow that is expected shifting the favored areas around a bit.

Rather, much more of the snow will be generated from storms from the Gulf and in many cases elevation will really come into play.

It appears that the upcoming scenario is one that favors the Balsams for a change with a 100 inches a real possibility.  SW and W wind orographics can really pile up the snow in the higher elevations there as have happen in previous years but not recently.  Should be fun Winter for sure.

Met, lets kick off the Fall/Winter thread. I'm afraid to post in this one because it might be giving off bad Juju for a great winter! Plus, I can't hit the reset button on my sig. below until you do.

Ok sounds good. I'll make the fall winter thread since we are getting very close to that time of the year.

Archived