• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Modicum Mauler (II) - April 8, 2015

NorEastermass128

it didn"t melt is all that counts , unless you ski,snowmobile on numbers.The pack above average variance for Mansfield is a tell all

Or unless you like powder days.  I could've gone for another 6 days that each featured 10"+ new snow.  Also we'd have to check with J.Spin, but I don't think that above average pack translated down into the lower elevations.  My 1,500ft pack was pretty average, maxing out in the three foot range.

But I just love snowfall, so I'm always more obsessed with that.  I love the actual act of snow falling and then going to ski that fresh snow.  Sitting at home in the evening, watching the radar bank up against the spine and wondering how much snow I'm going to find on the board at 5am.  I'm weird in that I'd trade this winter for a 350" season with an average snowpack...rather than 280" with above normal snowpack.

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or unless you like powder days.  I could've gone for another 6 days that each featured 10"+ new snow. 

But I just love snowfall, so I'm always more obsessed with that.  I love the actual act of snow falling and then going to ski that fresh snow.  Sitting at home, watching the radar bank up against the spine and wondering how much snow I'm going to find on the board at 5am.  I'm weird in that I'd trade this winter for a 350" season with an average snowpack...rather than 280" with above normal snowpack.

True but judging by all the pics you posted this year seems you had an extended powdah season rather than a bunch of big storms then meh

post-2792-0-35484400-1428610523_thumb.jppost-2792-0-13140900-1428610542_thumb.jp

Weenie Drive today to Will's hood. ONLY place there was any Snow. You could actually See the difference in Snow looking at the bottom of the hill and up top. What a Place!! NOW I understand how he gets so much.

Second picture is Classic Snizzle. Don't know if I've ever really seen it. Basically Fog, but Snow induced.

Had 0.25" solid.

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Weenie Drive today to Will's hood. ONLY place there was any Snow. You could actually See the difference in Snow looking at the bottom of the hill and up top. What a Place!! NOW I understand how he gets so much.

Second picture is Classic Snizzle. Don't know if I've ever really seen it. Basically Fog, but Snow induced.

Had 0.25" solid.

Thats pretty cool

Had 0.25" solid.

LOL....nice!!!

Too bad I was working in Boston today or I woulda met up. It is definitely different in that area versus downtown ORH.

There have been plenty of winters in the past where the far interior did very well. I know you know this, but lets not think the interior is all of the sudden getting unfairly screwed or something like that. I mean even this year the far interior did great. Some people are really crying a river for no reason.

Which far interior wete you referring to as doing great this year?

Certainly not W MA or SVT.

Had 0.25" solid.

Seems like a weenie paradise.  Would assume its the snowiest place so close to the major metro areas.

Had 0.25" solid.

LOL, the international man of mystery. Even better than the snow...they take your leaves in the winter.

Maine into NH and VT. I'm sure there were a few pockets where maybe "great" isn't the word to use, but solid would easily suffice.

"Solid" works for me.  Too much unrealized potential to earn "great."  Having the exact same snow depth on Feb 28 as on Feb 2, despite the intense cold, says the snowfall was less than meh, no matter how many inches.

"Solid" works for me.  Too much unrealized potential to earn "great."  Having the exact same snow depth on Feb 28 as on Feb 2, despite the intense cold, says the snowfall was less than meh, no matter how many inches.

Well at the same token you could have had a bit more snow, and some nasty cutters thrown in too. 

And actually my friend Dan used to live near the airport. Just a constant rise up, when head west from downtown. I was always jealous of him in the winter.  

Yeah that is a great spot too...Airport region and then also far NW ORH in the Salisbury area near the Holden line is good...the area between Winter Hill and the Airport.

Yeah that is a great spot too...Airport region and then also far NW ORH in the Salisbury area near the Holden line is good...the area between Winter Hill and the Airport.

There's a nice hill over 1k just to his west. I always thought being nestled into those hills was awesome even if only at like 880-900' or so where he was.  There's a couple before you get into a conservation or some sort of park area to the NW.

There's a nice hill over 1k just to his west. I always thought being nestled into those hills was awesome even if only at like 880-900' or so where he was.  There's a couple before you get into a conservation or some sort of park area to the NW.

Asnebumskit hill just to his west is at 1400 feet actually.

Yeah that's the big one..I mean more local to his old neighborhood, but yeah that's a big hill to the NW too.

Asnebumskit is like literally a mile or two up the road from his old neighborhood. But yeah the actual hill he was on did go up to like 1100 feet in Paxton.

Asnebumskit is like literally a mile or two up the road from his old neighborhood. But yeah the actual hill he was on did go up to like 1100 feet in Paxton.

Oh jeez you are right. Didn't realize it was that close.

I still remember the story of him going down into Tatnuck square there after the ice storm to get power for his laptop, and everyone looked at him like he was crazy when he said how bad it was up the road. As if they didn't believe him...lol. There was practically no ice there at about 600'.

2000-2001 was the only real FU to the CP the entire season. The others sort of changed their tune which can happen too. 2002-2003 was tough along immediate coast until early Feb when it came on like gang busters. 2010-2011 was incredible until about 2/2 and then tapered off. That's when you guys took over. 2006-2007 turned close to the coast, but still sucked near BOS.

Was a lot better winter down here, though, with like 16" in Dec 30 Millenium Storm. Close to 50" in this area for the 00-01 Winter along with a very cold December and cold March. That was the first real winter since 95-96 as 96-97, 97-98, 98-99, and 99-00 were all dead ratters in NYC metro...I remember a long stretch in middle school of every winter being mild and snowless. 97-98 was the worst with only 5.5" in Central Park and the first freeze a record late 12/22.

10-11 may have been great in the deep interior but was fantastic for the coast. NYC metro jackpotted in 12/26, then New England jackpotted in 1/12, and finally the mid-Atlantic in 1/27. I had over 12" in each of those snowfalls with the highest being 14.5" on 1/12. My snowpack reached 26" after the 1/27 storm and then again after the 2/2 Chicago blizzard which evolved into a nasty ice storm. Still remember being at my friend's house slipping and sliding on the ice-covered snowpack which reflected the moonlight perfectly. After the three 12"+ snowstorms, I had 8" in the 2/21 event and finished with 70" snowfall, which is quite a feat for Westchester. 09-10 and 13-14 also had near 70" of snow...record here is 90" from 60-61.

Was a lot better winter down here, though, with like 16" in Dec 30 Millenium Storm. Close to 50" in this area for the 00-01 Winter along with a very cold December and cold March. That was the first real winter since 95-96 as 96-97, 97-98, 98-99, and 99-00 were all dead ratters in NYC metro...I remember a long stretch in middle school of every winter being mild and snowless. 97-98 was the worst with only 5.5" in Central Park and the first freeze a record late 12/22.

10-11 may have been great in the deep interior but was fantastic for the coast. NYC metro jackpotted in 12/26, then New England jackpotted in 1/12, and finally the mid-Atlantic in 1/27. I had over 12" in each of those snowfalls with the highest being 14.5" on 1/12. My snowpack reached 26" after the 1/27 storm and then again after the 2/2 Chicago blizzard which evolved into a nasty ice storm. Still remember being at my friend's house slipping and sliding on the ice-covered snowpack which reflected the moonlight perfectly. After the three 12"+ snowstorms, I had 8" in the 2/21 event and finished with 70" snowfall, which is quite a feat for Westchester. 09-10 and 13-14 also had near 70" of snow...record here is 90" from 60-61.

All three of those storms were very kind to myself as well which was fortunate. I lived more in an urban area so it was tougher to gauge snowpack, but probably close to 30" at least by 2/2. 83.7" for the season. 

Archived