• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
18 Years Ago Today....Rain Drops Transitioned to Cat Paws...

40/70 Benchmark

I mean I never had an official measurement because of no yard stick, but some those pics I've posted before show that well. I was also 200' ASL which made a difference. I'm sure if we had this again MQE would report 45".

Then it would almost compare to March 1958 in MD/PA.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you eastern folk have had a ridiculous number of giant snow events over the past 20 years....and that goes for most of the se areas too except gon to wst (save this year)....theres no doubt about it east is the place to be to see something special, i even think you guys have it over the berks when it comes to 18 inch and 24 inch plus events

you eastern folk have had a ridiculous number of giant snow events over the past 20 years....and that goes for most of the se areas too except gon to wst (save this year)....theres no doubt about it east is the place to be to see something special, i even think you guys have it over the berks when it comes to 18 inch and 24 inch plus events

Well, it's a baroclinic orgy having the relatively warm ocean along side arctic air....and it probably won't grow any more infrequent in the years to come with the warming polar region inducing more periods of blocking. 

Storms feed off of contract, not ball-shriveling cold in-and-of-itself.

I remember that Sunday was in the 60's and I was doing yard work following the destructive back-to-back storms that December.  A fellow weather geek and I were discussing the upcoming snowstorm and describing it with terms including "carnage" and "destruction".  Our wives kept looking at us with head's tilted and eventually requested that I put down the chain saw I was using - I guess there was some question about my sanity. Anyway,we ended up with 21" which was the heaviest event in the 27 years I've lived in Townsend until this past winter's blizzard.  I remember participating in a snow contest at the weather company I worked for at the time and being the only one to forecast more snow for Taunton than for Concord, NH.  Lessons learned during the Dec '92 storm helped.  Amazing what we geeks can recall.

Berks have plenty like 2010 when 48 inch totals dwarf the east.

I think 48" totals relatively rare out there.

2010, 1992..when else?

Yeah 2010 wasn't even one storm...it was like over 5 days and part of multiple events...the first being the Feb 23-24 storm which gave my area like 12" of paste.

The next was mostly on the occluded backlash of the retrostorm that screwed us with tons of rain while NYC had snow.

The most they had was definitely Dec 1992...some 4 foot totals there.

Though even the base of WaWa had 42"...so that's not like a normal occurance.

Yea, Steve knows his stuff, but likes to exagerate and cherry pick facts to favor winteriest appeal.

Hey, we all know are stuff, but all have quirks...except you :lol:

I was nearby in Hyde Park and we no doubt had at least 30". We had at least 6 when Logan finally flipped over. I was able to find some youtube clips of newscasts with the weather, and there were some sick bands near BOS overnight. While the snow taped off N and W of the city, it really pounded during the morning of 4/1.

Yeah.  I remember seeing that.  Was amazing.

You just made my week. GRanalyst?

ncdc climate toolkit (http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/wct/install.php) I downloaded the level 3 data, saved it to my PC, then loaded into the toolkit's animator (choosing every other frame). You can export a loop as an avi file or an animated gif. I don't really like how you can't control the looping with the animated gif, but I guess it'll have to do. The avi was much too large to post here.

ncdc climate toolkit (http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/wct/install.php) I downloaded the level 3 data, saved it to my PC, then loaded into the toolkit's animator (choosing every other frame). You can export a loop as an avi file or an animated gif. I don't really like how you can't control the looping with the animated gif, but I guess it'll have to do. The avi was much too large to post here.

I guess I'll check it out. I always thought it was cumbersome, but seems like a different look from what I remember. I usually use the Iowa state site, but that has its limits. Thanks for grabbing that. God, almost gives me the chills. :lol:

I guess I'll check it out. I always thought it was cumbersome, but seems like a different look from what I remember. I usually use the Iowa state site, but that has its limits. Thanks for grabbing that. God, almost gives me the chills. :lol:

Just "almost"? Liar.

Just "almost"? Liar.

Well as a dumbfounded senior in HS....brings back some good memories. I know you've mentioned before that was a storm you always wanted to be part of.  The best part was looking out the window in physics and not giving a crap about the material being taught that day as it started ripping BBs and parachutes before flipping over mid aftn. You knew then it was on.

Well as a dumbfounded senior in HS....brings back some good memories. I know you've mentioned before that was a storm you always wanted to be part of.  The best part was looking out the window in physics and not giving a crap about the material being taught that day as it started ripping BBs and parachutes before flipping over mid aftn. You knew then it was on.

Yeah definitely in my top 2 or 3 storms that I wish I could have a time machine and go back and experience. On the other hand, I was very fortunate to experience the brunt of two other storms that I probably shouldn't have (just really good luck). 2/5/01 and 12/9/05.

Archived