2015 Short Term Severe Weather Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ST LOUIS MO

812 PM CDT SUN JUN 28 2015

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0807 PM TORNADO ST. PETERS 38.78N 90.61W

06/28/2015 ST. CHARLES MO AMATEUR RADIO

DEBRIS SEEN NORTH OF ARROWHEAD INDUSTRIAL BLVD...JUST

WEST NORTHWEST OF HWY 370.

ST. LOUIS MO-  

852 PM CDT SUN JUN 28 2015  

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR CENTRAL ST. LOUIS COUNTY  

UNTIL 915 PM CDT...  

AT 849 PM CDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO  

WAS LOCATED NEAR WARSON WOODS...AND MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 30 MPH.  

HAZARD...TORNADO AND GOLF BALL SIZE HAIL. LARGE HAIL HAS BEEN  

REPORTED.  

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED ROTATION.  

IMPACT...FLYING DEBRIS WILL BE DANGEROUS TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT  

SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES WILL BE DAMAGED OR DESTROYED. DAMAGE  

TO ROOFS...WINDOWS AND VEHICLES WILL OCCUR. TREE DAMAGE IS  

LIKELY.  

THIS DANGEROUS STORM WILL AFFECT MAINLY RURAL AREAS OF CENTRAL ST.  

LOUIS COUNTY.  

Did anyone see conclusive photos? View was blocked from urban corridor and terrain, but this was my view at 8:19 on the SW side of the metro area. The new meso practically popped up right overhead. Literally saw hundreds of vehicles beneath underpasses. No sign of any damage, although I tried to stay SW of the circulations.

Low res photo mentioned above:

post-533-0-74966300-1435544783_thumb.jpg

Did anyone see conclusive photos? View was blocked from urban corridor and terrain, but this was my view at 8:19 on the SW side of the metro area. The new meso practically popped up right overhead. Literally saw hundreds of vehicles beneath underpasses. No sign of any damage, although I tried to stay SW of the circulations.

Low res photo mentioned above:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

CIoV4YKWgAAVWeP.jpg

Nice little "gentleman's chase" today out in southeast Iowa.  Played the northern end of the setup hoping it would payoff.  Saw a pretty nice little sup, but it never really got close to producing a tornado.  Did have a nice blocky wall cloud for quite awhile, with the typical inflow features occasionally appearing.  RFD would punch down and try to wrap it up but it only produced some weak rotation for a few brief periods.  Made a run at a decent looking little sup further north near I-80 later on, but it **** the bed as soon as I got to it.

My GoPro crapped the bed about halfway through the chase.  It had been acting up lately, freezing up etc.  It completely froze up and died today.  Guess it's time to upgrade to the 4th version.  

Pic near Ottumwa Iowa.

s5gx2q.jpg

Brief time lapse at the beginning of the supercell before the GoPro grenaded.

Reviewed footage from STL and still nothing conclusive, although I was a bit late to the action - the initial couplet was very impressive on the NW side of town.

Here's a screengrab from 8:25 p.m. near Maryland Heights. Due to obscurities, this is probably just a wall cloud, but this did evolve from the picture I posted a few posts ago. Hopefully more photos come together from other vantage points, although I haven't seen much yet. I had to exit as cars were parking on the interstate and I had to turn around and go the other direction.

post-533-0-20551800-1435555571_thumb.jpg

Reviewed footage from STL and still nothing conclusive, although I was a bit late to the action - the initial couplet was very impressive on the NW side of town.

Here's a screengrab from 8:25 p.m. near Maryland Heights. Due to obscurities, this is probably just a wall cloud, but this did evolve from the picture I posted a few posts ago. Hopefully more photos come together from other vantage points, although I haven't seen much yet. I had to exit as cars were parking on the interstate and I had to turn around and go the other direction.

STL.jpg

when you say conclusive are you talking about from your own footage? Because if you're talking overall, then there was most definitely a tornado, probably a strong one at that. It's not everyday that you see a debris sig go 6KFT high, so it's pretty obvious that there's a tornado if you get one showing up.

LSX confirmed a preliminary strength of EF2

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ST LOUIS MO
107 PM CDT Mon Jun 29 2015

...St. Peters tornado given a preliminary rating of EF-2....

National Weather Service storm survey team has determined that
the maximum damage produced by yesterday evenings tornado on the
north side of St. Peters was EF2...with estimated winds of around
120 mph. This damage was to house near the intersection of
Silvers Road and Highway C...about 2 miles north of Mid Rivers
Mall.

It appears that the maximum width was about 350 yards. The survey
team is still trying to determine the path length, but flooding in
the area is hindering their efforts.

The survey team will be heading up to the Eolia area shortly.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=LSX&issuedby=LSX&product=PNS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0

Nice isolated supercell moved across the western Twin Cities suburbs this afternoon. Actually had a small wall cloud and some weak rotation when I started following it near Rogers.

I work on the east side of Minneapolis and saw the rotation before I left work. If I was further west I would have followed it but bad timing just before rush hour. Hoping we get something from the line up north.

Archived