• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015 Short Term Severe Weather Discussion

Hoosier

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think besides the problem of a lack of a robust EML this season we have also had a relative lack of strong low pressure systems..say 990 mb.  Maybe April 9, but as I think about pressures I've seen with systems that fall short of potential this may have also been a factor.

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we gonna get a setup with a quality EML sometime?  lol

Yeah it's been pretty frustrating this year.

That said, this is more a case of an ill-timed tropical system vs. a longer term EML problem ala the ST jet issues we were seeing in May in the S Plains.

Evidently Cleveland is feeling pretty confident about Friday... 

Friday

A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could be severe. Partly sunny, with a high near 86. Chance of precipitation is 40%

Friday Night
A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could be severe. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 66. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?x=354&y=121&site=iwx&zmx=1&zmy=1&map_x=353.5&map_y=121#.VXWYRVVVhHw

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think besides the problem of a lack of a robust EML this season we have also had a relative lack of strong low pressure systems..say 990 mb.  Maybe April 9, but as I think about pressures I've seen with systems that fall short of potential this may have also been a factor.

The problem has been the lack of heat, pure and simple. You can't have quality EMLs this far NE without a sustained period of dry heat

The perpetual NW flow and the now soaking wet Plains are both to blame.

Kind of intrigued with today's setup across the Upper Midwest. Storms will likely be fairly high based with 25-30 degree dew point spreads at the surface. Likely a damaging wind threat and coverage should remain widely scattered at best.

Seems to be some severe potential via NAM guidance in particular over Lower MI/S Ontario/W NY/NW PA on Wednesday. Fairly impressive shortwave trough/wind fields overspreading the region, will be dependent on destabilization.

Worth noting that the GFS also shows adequate instability, but its low level shear is significantly less (common problem this year).

Seems to be some severe potential via NAM guidance in particular over Lower MI/S Ontario/W NY/NW PA on Wednesday. Fairly impressive shortwave trough/wind fields overspreading the region, will be dependent on destabilization.

Worth noting that the GFS also shows adequate instability, but its low level shear is significantly less (common problem this year).

Timing will be key also. For some locations, an early vs. late afternoon cold front passage will make a huge difference. In these setups, I lean towards the former happening, but we'll see...

18z GFS looks really interesting here next Monday.

00z at ORD Sharpy:

IJnscdO.png

Video game numbers there. The Euro has been hinting at a system during that period too. The dewpoints aren't unreasonable considering how saturated things should be by then.

Video game numbers there. The Euro has been hinting at a system during that period too. The dewpoints aren't unreasonable considering how saturated things should be by then.

Saturday for us has looked crazyyyyy on the GFS over the last couple of runs. I'm usually not one to get excited 5-6 days out, but that looks like it has a chance to be fun. Or maybe I'm just guilty of looking too far ahead to find something to break us out of the rut of Marginal/low-end Slight risks.

Saturday for us has looked crazyyyyy on the GFS over the last couple of runs. I'm usually not one to get excited 5-6 days out, but that looks like it has a chance to be fun. Or maybe I'm just guilty of looking too far ahead to find something to break us out of the rut of Marginal/low-end Slight risks.

Too bad timing will suck (as things stand now).

• 2 weeks later...

Subtle little event may take place on Sunday over Iowa/Missouri/Illinois/southern Wisconsin.  Nice little vort rolls down off the west side of the parent eastern lakes upper-level storm.  Surface winds stay nicely backed ahead of a cool front and associated surface low/trough.  The NAM is most impressive with a respectable 1002mb surface low near LaCrosse.  Forecast hodographs look pretty nice late Sunday afternoon, especially over southeast IA.  Cape is a little meager compared to what we've been spoiled with lately, but GFS and NAM both forecast surface-based cape over 2000j/kg, with the NAM even showing a few areas over 3000j/kg.  The mid-levels are actually pretty decent with H5 winds above 30kts over a wide area, with even a few areas of 40-50kts showing up.  The incoming vort, decent instability, and nice shear profiles could make for a decent little late June event.  Can definitely see a broken line of sups along or ahead of the cool front late Sunday afternoon.  

Subtle little event may take place on Sunday over Iowa/Missouri/Illinois/southern Wisconsin.  Nice little vort rolls down off the west side of the parent eastern lakes upper-level storm.  Surface winds stay nicely backed ahead of a cool front and associated surface low/trough.  The NAM is most impressive with a respectable 1002mb surface low near LaCrosse.  Forecast hodographs look pretty nice late Sunday afternoon, especially over southeast IA.  Cape is a little meager compared to what we've been spoiled with lately, but GFS and NAM both forecast surface-based cape over 2000j/kg, with the NAM even showing a few areas over 3000j/kg.  The mid-levels are actually pretty decent with H5 winds above 30kts over a wide area, with even a few areas of 40-50kts showing up.  The incoming vort, decent instability, and nice shear profiles could make for a decent little late June event.  Can definitely see a broken line of sups along or ahead of the cool front late Sunday afternoon.  

Sounds like a day with some good hailers.

Sounds like a day with some good hailers.

Yeah, freezing heights aren't particularly high either.  

I think we could have a handful of tornadoes if things continue to look the way the NAM shows.  Moisture is the biggest question mark regarding tor potential.  Hard to believe as wet as it's been lately, but surface dews may not be quite adequate for the lower LCLs we may need to realize tornado potential.  At the least we could still be looking at some fairly picturesque supercells with some hail and gusty wind potential.

New NAM looks even better with even more cape.  Shows a few areas pushing 4000j/kg.  Even if that's overdone, we really don't need as much with shear profiles, plenty of vorticity advection, and excellent surface convergence.  Really gotta watch these subtle little NW flow events in mid-summer.  They have had a tendency to over-perform in the past..

00z NAM forecast hodo to the east of Ottumwa at 21z Sunday..

286v85g.png

I noticed that the NAM is showing dewpoints pooling behind the convergence zone. It looks like low level parcels will be strongly capped in front. There is definitely enough deep layer shear oriented nearly perpendicular to the boundary to consider discrete activity. Definitely something interesting to watch...

Pretty crazy veering with height going from SSE at the surface to NW or even NNW at the EL.

Buoyancy increases the more southwest you go in the instability axis, so I think the sups will have a tendency to really dig in and pull to the right, or nearly due south as they try to fight to get the best instability.  That will only enhance an already impressive SRH.  If LCLs end up being reasonable, then we may have something interesting on our hands Sunday.

Archived