joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015 Short Term Severe Weather Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently the NAM is biased high with the dewpoints according to the latest D2 outlook so it may be overdoing instability (although that's kind of hard to believe given how much rain has fallen over the Midwest recently). There's also no mention of tornado potential even though the directional shear is arguably the most impressive part of this setup (except on the GFS, as per usual).

Things are progressing about as planned regarding today's potential.  A ribbon of instability is slowly building immediately west of the ongoing clouds/precip.  Nice surface convergence in place a little east of I-35.  Dews are looking pretty decent relatively speaking, generally in the 66-67 degree range in target area.  Capping looks pretty meager, so things may kick off a bit earlier than expected.  Gonna head west in a bit and head down towards Sigourney IA and wait.  The better sups will likely be moving nearly due south once they get fully established/dominant, so the best play will be to stay a little southwest of them.  May have to follow them into northeast MO or far west-central IL eventually.  

Hoping to see some decent structure, and of course a tor would be icing on the cake.  

Things are progressing about as planned regarding today's potential.  A ribbon of instability is slowly building immediately west of the ongoing clouds/precip.  Nice surface convergence in place a little east of I-35.  Dews are looking pretty decent relatively speaking, generally in the 66-67 degree range in target area.  Capping looks pretty meager, so things may kick off a bit earlier than expected.  Gonna head west in a bit and head down towards Sigourney IA and wait.  The better sups will likely be moving nearly due south once they get fully established/dominant, so the best play will be to stay a little southwest of them.  May have to follow them into northeast MO or far west-central IL eventually.  

Hoping to see some decent structure, and of course a tor would be icing on the cake.  

Good luck Joel! Keep us updated.

post-533-0-79691300-1435517043_thumb.jpg

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...80 PERCENT

SUMMARY...A FEW SUPERCELLS ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP IN THE 20-21Z TIME FRAME FROM CNTRL MO INTO WRN IL. TORNADOES AND LARGE HAIL ARE EXPECTED. THE ST. LOUIS AREA IS IN THE HIGHEST THREAT CORRIDOR.

DISCUSSION...A WELL-DEFINED SHORTWAVE TROUGH CONTINUES TO MOVE SWD ACROSS THE MID MS VALLEY WITH SURFACE LOW OVER CNTRL IA AT 18Z. SURFACE OBSERVATIONS INDICATE A WIND SHIFT EXTENDING SWWD FROM THE LOW...WITH AN EFFECTIVE WARM FRONT/OUTFLOW NEAR THE MS RIVER IN ASSOCIATION WITH AN ONGOING AREA OF SHOWERS AND STORMS.

VISIBLE IMAGERY SHOWS STRONG HEATING AND MIXING HAS COMMENCED UPSTREAM OF THE AREA...WITH A PLUME OF STEEP LOW-LEVEL LAPSE RATES FROM KS INTO WRN MO. MODIFIED FORECAST SOUNDINGS INDICATE LITTLE CIN

REMAINING AS TEMPERATURES RISE INTO THE MID 80S F.

AS THE SURFACE LOW TRAVELS SEWD...LOW-LEVEL WINDS JUST AHEAD OF IT WILL REMAIN BACKED...WITH A ZONE OF ENHANCED LOW-LEVEL SHEAR ALONG THE RESIDUAL OUTFLOW BOUNDARY. THE STRONG FORCING FOR ASCENT COUPLED WITH FAVORABLY VEERING WIND SHEAR PROFILES WITH HEIGHT WILL STRONGLY FAVOR SUPERCELLS...AND A FEW TORNADOES ARE ANTICIPATED.

ACTIVITY IS EXPECTED TO INITIATE NEAR THE OUTFLOW BOUNDARY...WITH STORMS MATURING AS THEY TRAVEL SEWD. OTHER CELLS WILL FORM LATER IN THE AFTERNOON ALONG THE ADVANCING WIND SHIFT WITH A HAIL AND TORNADO THREAT.

10% tor added in 20z outlook. Lull in activity early this afternoon (partially unexpected to a degree) should be boosting instability a bit higher than forecast.

Winds remain locally backed to the SSE as well across portions of the Mississippi River Valley too. Forecasts were quicker to veer and considering the upper levels are NW to NNW, that's plenty of turning. If storms initiate and remain relatively discrete, there could be a localized outbreak of tornadoes. I'm not sold on that being a sure thing, but it's possible. Not sure if the 70F dews near STL are accurate, but if they are, that's above expectation as well.

Winds remain locally backed to the SSE as well across portions of the Mississippi River Valley too. Forecasts were quicker to veer and considering the upper levels are NW to NNW, that's plenty of turning. If storms initiate and remain relatively discrete, there could be a localized outbreak of tornadoes. I'm not sold on that being a sure thing, but it's possible. Not sure if the 70F dews near STL are accurate, but if they are, that's above expectation as well.

Observations have 68 for several locations along the river in NE MO. Not quite 70 but close.

Yeah I was about to mention this, need a radar in Kirksville badly. Not like there isn't a good amount of population in this area either.

I almost forget sometimes just how bad it is. I have DVN as my radar source right now and the lowest level information I can get about that stronger cell near Edina is from 13,000 feet!

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED  

TORNADO WARNING  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ST LOUIS MO  

404 PM CDT SUN JUN 28 2015  

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ST LOUIS HAS ISSUED A  

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...  

WEST CENTRAL PIKE COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL ILLINOIS...  

SOUTHEASTERN MARION COUNTY IN NORTHEAST MISSOURI...  

NORTHEASTERN RALLS COUNTY IN NORTHEAST MISSOURI...  

* UNTIL 430 PM CDT  

* AT 402 PM CDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A  

TORNADO WAS LOCATED NEAR RENSSELAER...AND MOVING EAST AT 45 MPH.  

HAZARD...TORNADO.  

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED ROTATION.  

IMPACT...FLYING DEBRIS WILL BE DANGEROUS TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT  

SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES WILL BE DAMAGED OR DESTROYED. DAMAGE  

TO ROOFS...WINDOWS AND VEHICLES WILL OCCUR. TREE DAMAGE IS  

LIKELY.  

* THIS DANGEROUS STORM WILL BE NEAR...  

HANNIBAL AND NEW LONDON AROUND 415 PM CDT.  

OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE ILASCO...SAVERTON...HULL AND  

KINDERHOOK.  

THIS WARNING ALSO INCLUDES...  

INTERSTATE 72 NEAR EXIT 10.  

Archived