joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring 2015: Pattern and Discussion thread

Eastatlwx

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On Monday, Friday was supposed to be sunny and 70. Now they're calling for showers before noon and 57 for the high. Dang ULL! I've got decks to paint and stain!!

Just last night WRAL said the rain today should come at night, but it's raining this morning. I think they mentioned isolated showers this morning. Nothing like throwing up a 50% chance of showers to make sure you get it right either way.

Looking at the 6z GFS it actually looks like it will (now) be on the cool side from day 12 onward. Lots of precip over the southern states; especially back towards Texas. Of course take it with a grain of salt, just a few days back it was looing like we would get our first real heat wave. We're now in that time of year where it can get summer hot. The longer we can keep a cool pattern the better. Also a good sign is the amount of precip in Texas. Many times this is where our heat waves can begin or get fueled. The wetter that area stays the better the heat can stay tempered.

I would much rather have days in the 80s and 90s now than cool and rainy. 

But a cool pattern this time of year can actually mean 70s. Also precip would be more convective giving us at least some sunshine. I think everybody would agree this would be the ideal setup. I'm hoping for a repeat of last year.  

Looking at the 6z GFS it actually looks like it will (now) be on the cool side from day 12 onward. Lots of precip over the southern states; especially back towards Texas. Of course take it with a grain of salt, just a few days back it was looing like we would get our first real heat wave. We're now in that time of year where it can get summer hot. The longer we can keep a cool pattern the better. Also a good sign is the amount of precip in Texas. Many times this is where our heat waves can begin or get fueled. The wetter that area stays the better the heat can stay tempered.

Great post. Looks like 80s from the weekend and through the following weekend. As you stated, moist soil over TX is great and should definately temper any big heat, for now! And wet brings more wet, so summer is looking avg , hopefully !

Great post. Looks like 80s from the weekend and through the following weekend. As you stated, moist soil over TX is great and should definately temper any big heat, for now! And wet brings more wet, so summer is looking avg , hopefully !

Thanks! All I hope for is an average summer. Lots of upper 80s some lower 90s and thunderstorms would be a win in my book.

A preseason trosum (tropical summary), given the thing being forecast by models next week that's getting attention ...

-- Low pressure system likely to form off southeast U.S. coast mid next week

-- Slight chance of taking on characteristics of a "hybrid" system (combo of non-tropical and tropical)

Models have been predicting a low pressure system to form just east of Florida during the middle of next week.

If it does it would start as a non-tropical system. There is a slight chance of it transitioning into a subtropical one (a hybrid that is a combo of tropical and non-tropical). The chance of ultimately becoming tropical enough to be officially designated as a tropical cyclone (depression or storm) is a long shot, though not zero.

A preseason trosum (tropical summary), given the thing being forecast by models next week that's getting attention ...

-- Low pressure system likely to form off southeast U.S. coast mid next week

-- Slight chance of taking on characteristics of a "hybrid" system (combo of non-tropical and tropical)

Models have been predicting a low pressure system to form just east of Florida during the middle of next week.

If it does it would start as a non-tropical system. There is a slight chance of it transitioning into a subtropical one (a hybrid that is a combo of tropical and non-tropical). The chance of ultimately becoming tropical enough to be officially designated as a tropical cyclone (depression or storm) is a long shot, though not zero.

Last nights run of the GFS had it pretty much OTS,  the current 6Z run seems to want to stall it for awhile so at the least the beaches will have nasty rip currents all next week.....

Last nights run of the GFS had it pretty much OTS,  the current 6Z run seems to want to stall it for awhile so at the least the beaches will have nasty rip currents all next week.....

12z stalls it too.  The 0z Euro from last night brought it onshore.

RAH has picked up on it this afternoon...

WEDNESDAY THROUGH FRIDAY GETS INTERESTING TO OUR SOUTHEAST AS BOTH
THE GFS AND ECMWF GENERATE A TROPICAL LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM OVER THE
CARIBBEAN...MOVING SLOWLY NORTH AND STALLING OFF THE CAROLINA COAST.
WHILE THERE IS STILL A GOOD DEAL OF UNCERTAINTY WITH THIS SYSTEM
GIVEN THAT IT IS FAR OUT IN THE MODEL FORECAST PERIOD...THE FACT
THAT BOTH MODELS SHOW SIMILAR FEATURES INCREASES THE CHANCE THAT
SOMETHING OF INTEREST WILL DEVELOP OFF THE SOUTHEAST ATLANTIC COAST
TOWARD THE END OF THE WEEK. REGARDLESS...ITS EVOLUTION WILL BE
SOMETHING TO WATCH.

12z stalls it too.  The 0z Euro from last night brought it onshore.

Last GFS run has the thing several hundred miles south of Hatteras from roughly hr 150 to hr 222, that's a long time for it to hang out out there, interestingly if correct the GFS has it sitting over the GS with a fresh supply of deep warm water constantly moving in under it...so I can see how it could end up warm core....

oh and the CMC has this

post-141-0-21708400-1430506407_thumb.png

Last GFS run has the thing several hundred miles south of Hatteras from roughly hr 150 to hr 222, that's a long time for it to hang out out there, interestingly if correct the GFS has it sitting over the GS with a fresh supply of deep warm water constantly moving in under it...so I can see how it could end up warm core....

oh and the CMC has this

CMC cane.png

I give it a 90% chance of swinging wide right.

this will be something odd to, well, it's already been said. 

RAH has picked up on it this afternoon...

REGARDLESS...ITS EVOLUTION WILL BE

SOMETHING TO WATCH.

http://i.imwx.com/web/multimedia/images/blog/trosum_1May2015.html

The animation included in the page above really does show more of a subtropical low forming and strengthening.  I will watch on the water vapor loops as this happens and i'm sure many other people will too! 

Yeah safe bet.....but I can see the weather gods poking us in the eye after 8" of rain in April and letting it hit since you know we need the rain...........

8 inches? We only had 2.3 down here and with only .14 falling these past week we could sure use a good rain.

8 inches? We only had 2.3 down here and with only .14 falling these past week we could sure use a good rain.

It was a little under that here 7.78" I rounded up. we got hammered with 3-4" a few weeks back on a Sunday night into Monday morning and that was after 1" the Sat evening before so almost half of it came in 36 hrs...on the second loop that line around 3-4 in the morning was good for a 1.5" all by itself. PGV ended the month with 6.55 at the airport location.

http://www.wunderground.com/weather-radar/united-states/nc/morehead-city/mhx/history/?date=2015-04-19

http://www.wunderground.com/weather-radar/united-states/nc/morehead-city/mhx/history/?date=2015-04-20

Dang, are going to have to start a tropical thread in May this year??

Special Tropical Weather Outlook from the National Hurricane Center for Sunday May 3, 2015 11am

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:
A non-tropical area of low pressure is expected to form north of the Bahamas later this week. This system could gradually acquire some subtropical characteristics by Thursday or Friday as it moves slowly northward.
The next Special Tropical Weather Outlook will be issued on this system by 11 AM EDT Monday.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...30 percent

Dang, are going to have to start a tropical thread in May this year??

Special Tropical Weather Outlook from the National Hurricane Center for Sunday May 3, 2015 11am

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

A non-tropical area of low pressure is expected to form north of the Bahamas later this week. This system could gradually acquire some subtropical characteristics by Thursday or Friday as it moves slowly northward.

The next Special Tropical Weather Outlook will be issued on this system by 11 AM EDT Monday.

* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent

* Formation chance through 5 days...low...30 percent

Yeah why don't you do the honors I was going to start one this afternoon if no one else had the latest CMC was pretty nice 998 right off Lookout and it stays offshore, Euro brings it across Lookout and into the Pamlico Sound and then OTS and the GFS doesn't seem to know what to do with it lol....it was all over the place on its last run.....

Archived