joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring 2015: Pattern and Discussion thread

Eastatlwx

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro keeps the "system" offshore but the GFS. CMC and Navgem all bring it in anywhere from central SC to ILM.....

CMC has a pretty decent low

attachicon.gifcmc cane 2.png

Yeah man, one thing looks certain with this potential TS and thats the fact that it will linger for a couple of days off the coast.  That in itself will magnify any effects from this weak TS.  The models continually struggle though with tropical development so this thing could really ramp up, or just die a slow death to dry air.  I am glad to have some active weather to track though, things were starting to get boring.

I saw some photos this morning that part of the beach road in Kitty Hawk in front of the Black Pelican restaurant washed away. A storm off-shore combined with a full moon did the damage. 

I hope the potential coastal system this week stays away. I wonder if it could produce some severe weather inland. I'd rather have the long stretch of warm and dry weather, though.

I saw some photos this morning that part of the beach road in Kitty Hawk in front of the Black Pelican restaurant washed away. A storm off-shore combined with a full moon did the damage. 

I hope the potential coastal system this week stays away. I wonder if it could produce some severe weather inland. I'd rather have the long stretch of warm and dry weather, though.

These photos were taken 2 days apart over the weekend

20195_953000181407267_579967623027052324

I thought your location always only gets an inch, from May to Sept?!!

It has only been that dry 1 time, in 1993. Even in years like 2007, 1986, and 1999 we managed to get some decent rainfall here. My  rain gage  was messed up in 2013, but I would bet I got close to 20 inches of rain that summer.

I don't see any hot weather patterns setting up in the short term. The 6z GFS did show some hot temps at the day 15/16 timespan but we'll see. Any cool temps we get now is really bonus. We're getting close to that point where you turn on the AC and leave it on until September.

Here is day 8 on the 12z GFS (should equate to cool-ish surface temps):

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=192ℑ=data%2Fgfs%2F12%2Fgfs_namer_192_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif&model=gfs&area=namer&param=850_temp_mslp_precip&group=Model+Guidance&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20150505+12+UTC&imageSize=M&ps=model

Wow RAH punted the long term about the coastal "low" on this afternoons AFD......went with a copy and paste from last night.....

FXUS62 KRAH 051840 RRA
AFDRAH

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC
240 PM EDT TUE MAY 5 2015

.SYNOPSIS...BERMUDA HIGH PRESSURE WILL EXTEND INTO OUR REGION
THROUGH MID WEEK. AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE WILL FORM NEAR THE BAHAMAS
AND MEANDER OFF THE SOUTHEAST COAST DURING THE MIDDLE OF THE WEEK.

&&

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

-- Changed Discussion --

AS OF 230 PM TUESDAY... HIGH PRESSURE WILL CONTINUE TO RIDGE WESTWARD INTO CENTRAL NC...EVEN AS THE HIGH SHIFTS OFFSHORE. SKIES WILL GENERALLY BE CLEAR...WITH SOME INCREASING CLOUDS IN THE FAR SOUTHEAST TOWARD DAYBREAK WEDNESDAY. EXPECT WINDS TO BECOME LIGHT AND VARIABLE OVERNIGHT. MILD LOWS TONIGHT...MAINLY IN THE MID TO UPPER 50S.

-- End Changed Discussion --

&&

.SHORT TERM /WEDNESDAY AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT/...

-- Changed Discussion --

AS OF 240 PM TUESDAY... A WEAK SURFACE TROUGH WILL STALL TO THE NORTH ON WEDNESDAY NIGHT... WITH HIGH PRESSURE OVER THE NE U.S. AND OFF THE CAROLINA COAST. THE BIGGER FEATURE WILL BE THE CLOSED LOW DEVELOPING OFF THE EAST FLORIDA COAST...WHICH IS EXPECTED TO MOVE NORTH-NORTHEAST TOWARD THE CAROLINAS THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT. FOR NOW...IT APPEARS THAT THE SYSTEM WILL STAY TO THE SOUTH THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT...WITH THE MAIN IMPACT OVER CENTRAL NC BEING INCREASING CLOUDINESS FROM THE SE AND AN INCREASE IN AFT/EVE WINDS. THERE IS A SLIGHT CHANCE FOR SOME SHOWERS/STORMS TO DEVELOP IN THE AFT/EVE ALONG THE STALLED BOUNDARY TO THE NORTH...BUT EXPECT MOST OF THE ACTIVITY TO STAY TO THE NORTH AND NORTHWEST OF CENTRAL NC. WITH LITTLE TO NO CHANGE IN AIRMASS... AND BERMUDA HIGH PRESSURE CONTINUING TO RIDGE INTO THE AREA... EXPECT HIGHS IN THE LOW TO MID 80S. WITH THE INCREASING CLOUDS OVERNIGHT AND SOME WEAK WAA...LOWS WILL BE A FEW DEGREES WARMER THAN PREVIOUS NIGHTS...MAINLY IN THE UPPER 50S.

-- End Changed Discussion --

&&

.LONG TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH MONDAY/...
AS OF 247 AM TUESDAY...

THERE IS HIGH CONFIDENCE IN THE OVERALL PATTERN OF UPPER LEVEL
RIDGING OVER THE EASTERN UNITED STATES LATE THIS WEEK THROUGH THE
WEEKEND... THE TROUGHING OUT WEST. HOWEVER... MODELS STILL LIKELY DO
NOT HAVE A GOOD HANDLE ON THE EVOLUTION OF THE POTENTIAL COASTAL
STORM THAT WOULD DEVELOP UNDER THE RIDGE. IT STILL APPEARS THAT MOST
MODELS KEEP THE SIGNIFICANT RAINS OFFSHORE ASSOCIATED WITH THE SYSTEM
EXCLUSIVELY. HPC CONTINUED TO FAVOR A BLEND OF THE TWO CAMPS OF
MODELS TO ENSURE CONTINUITY OF CURRENT FORECASTS. THIS IS ACCEPTED
AS THE BEST STARTING POINT FOR OUR LATE WEEK FORECAST.

OUR CHANCE OF RAIN MAY END UP MOSTLY COMING FROM A SCATTERING OF
MAINLY DIURNAL SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS THAT MAY FOCUS ALONG OR
NEAR THE EXPECTED BACKDOOR FRONT THURSDAY AND THEN WHAT IS LEFT OF
THE BOUNDARY FRIDAY. IN ADDITION... SOME MOISTURE MAY EVENTUALLY
COME INTO PLAY FROM THE LOW PRESSURE - BUT THE DETAILS CONTINUE
SKETCHY AT BEST. UNTIL THAT PROCESS IMPROVES... WE WILL CONTINUE TO
FORECAST ABOVE NORMAL TEMPERATURES ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT AS THE DEW
POINTS SHOULD BECOME 60+ BY FRIDAY AND LINGER INTO THE WEEKEND.

SENSIBLE WEATHER FOR NOW WILL BE PARTLY SUNNY TO MOSTLY CLOUDY EACH
DAY. A CHANCE OF MAINLY AFTERNOON AND EARLY NIGHTTIME SHOWERS AND
THUNDERSTORMS. LOWS 60-65. HIGHS 78-85.

Wow RAH punted the long term about the coastal "low" on this afternoons AFD......went with a copy and paste from last night.....

Very interesting considering how the 12z Euro looks totally different from what it was showing this morning.  Instead of the system lingering around the Gulf Stream, the Euro now shows a solution where the storm intensifies over the weekend slightly before coming ashore near Wilmington.  Not sure if this will go fully tropical or not but the GFS, Euro, & NAM all have it coming on shore and providing a lot of rain for coastal areas or SC/NC/GA.  This one will be interesting to watch.  The longer that thing hangs around the Gulf Stream, the better the chances are for it to go tropical..imo.

They gave a late (for RAH) update

.LONG TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH TUESDAY/...
AS OF 415 PM TUESDAY...

THE MAIN FORECAST PROBLEM THROUGH THE PERIOD REMAINS THE EVOLUTION
OF AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE...WITH POSSIBLE SUB-TROPICAL
CHARACTERISTICS...FORECAST TO FORM NEAR THE BAHAMAS AND DRIFT NEAR
THE SOUTHEAST US COAST THROUGH THE END OF THE WEEK. WHILE TWO MODEL
CAMPS REMAIN...WITH SOLUTIONS RANGING FROM THE NCEP ONES ON THE
WESTERN SIDE OF THE GUIDANCE ENVELOPE TO MORE EASTERN ONES DEPICTED
BY THE NON-NCEP MODELS...THE SPREAD HAS SIGNIFICANTLY DECREASED IN
THE PAST 24 HOURS. THE DECREASING MODEL SPREAD RESULTS FROM A
WESTWARD SHIFT IN THE NON-NCEP GUIDANCE...INCLUDING THE 12Z OP
ECMWF...WHICH YIELDS RELATIVE INCREASED FORECAST CONFIDENCE IN A
CLOSER TO THE CAROLINAS COAST MEANDER OF THE LOW THROUGH THE
WEEKEND.

HOWEVER...NO SOLUTION IS TRULY OFF THE TABLE...SINCE THE STEERING
FLOW FOR THE LOW IS FORECAST TO BECOME QUITE WEAK ON THE SOUTHERN
PERIPHERY OF A PERSISTENT RIDGE ALOFT OVER THE EAST COAST. IN
FACT...THE RIDGE...IN CONJUNCTION WITH AN ELONGATED UPPER LOW
ANALYZED THIS MORNING FROM THE SE STATES TO THE YUCATAN
CHANNEL...WILL FAVOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF AT LEAST A BRIEF REX
BLOCK...WHICH WOULD INDEED FAVOR SLOW AND ERRATIC MOTION OF ANY
CYCLONE TRAPPED WITHIN IT. IT WILL LIKELY TAKE A KICKER SHORTWAVE
TROUGH TO MIGRATE SLOWLY FROM THE PAC NW TODAY TO THE MS VALLEY
EARLY NEXT WEEK TO FINALLY CAUSE THE LOW TO LIFT NE AND AWAY FROM
THE NC/VA COASTS EARLY NEXT WEEK.

WILL FOLLOW THE WPC-PREFERRED "COMPROMISE" SOLUTION BETWEEN THE TWO
MODEL CAMPS INDICATED ABOVE...BEST ILLUSTRATED BY A 12Z GFS/EC
BLEND...WHOSE RESPECTIVE MASS FIELDS ARE REALLY NOT TOO DISSIMILAR.

THE RESULTANT SENSIBLE WEATHER IMPACTS WILL BE INCREASING CLOUDS AND
PROBABILITY OF PRECIPITATION FROM THE SOUTH AND EAST BY LATE
THU...WITH THE LATTER PROBABILITIES RANGING FROM CHANCE OVER THE
COASTAL PLAIN AND EASTERN SANDHILLS TO SLIGHT CHANCE OVER THE
PIEDMONT. WITH THE LOW NEARBY AND FORECAST TO MOVE LITTLE...LIKELY
JUST TO THE SOUTH AND EAST OF CENTRAL NC...A PERSISTENCE FORECAST OF
SIMILAR POP DISTRIBUTION -HIGHEST CHANCES SE AND LOWEST NW- WILL BE
HARD TO BEAT THROUGH THE WEEKEND. PROVIDED THE TIMING OF THE KICKER
WAVE REMAINS CONSISTENT...MON MAY BE THE RELATIVE DRIEST DAY OF THE
PERIOD IN BRIEF SUBSIDENCE BEHIND THE LOW AND IN ADVANCE OF THE
FRONTAL SYSTEM ASSOCIATED WITH THE KICKER WAVE...FORECAST TO ARRIVE
ON SUN.

TEMPERATURES HAVE BEEN ADJUSTED DOWNWARD...INTO THE 70S MAINLY OVER
EASTERN AREAS...GIVEN THE EXPECTATION OF MORE CLOUDS AND HIGHER
PRECIPITATION CHANCES WITH THE MORE WESTWARD FORECAST SOLUTIONS FOR
THE LOW. IF THE LOW WERE TO STAY OFFSHORE AND FARTHER SE OF NC...THE
AIR MASS WOULD SUPPORT LOWER TO MIDDLE 80S...AND SOME UPPER 80S
PROBABLE BY TUE.

6z GFS has dew points near 40 along the NC/VA boarder at day 7. Should equate to cool weather for mid/late next week. And when I say cool (now) I mean anything below 80 degrees.

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=GFS&grid=3&model_yyyy=2015&model_mm=05&model_dd=07&model_init_hh=06&fhour=168&parameter=DPTF&level=2&unit=M_ABOVE_GROUND&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

Stu Ostro

6 mins ·

A preseason trosum (tropical summary), given the thing being forecast by models next week that's getting attention ...

-- Low pressure system likely to form off southeast U.S. coast mid next week

-- Slight chance of taking on characteristics of a "hybrid" system (combo of non-tropical and tropical)

Models have been predicting a low pressure system to form just east of Florida during the middle of next week.

If it does it would start as a non-tropical system. There is a slight chance of it transitioning into a subtropical one (a hybrid that is a combo of tropical and non-tropical). The chance of ultimately becoming tropical enough to be officially designated as a tropical cyclone (depression or storm) is a long shot, though not zero.

Last GFS run has the thing several hundred miles south of Hatteras from roughly hr 150 to hr 222, that's a long time for it to hang out out there, interestingly if correct the GFS has it sitting over the GS with a fresh supply of deep warm water constantly moving in under it...so I can see how it could end up warm core....

oh and the CMC has this

attachicon.gifCMC cane.png

Euro keeps the "system" offshore but the GFS. CMC and Navgem all bring it in anywhere from central SC to ILM.....

CMC has a pretty decent low

attachicon.gifcmc cane 2.png

Not bad modeling at 10 days out

I see 1993 as an analog for this spring and summer. The pattern looks a lot like that year now, with cool weather in the plains and a ton of rain and storms from Texas into the upper midwest, along with our hot and dry weather.

Just had 2 thunderstorms in the past hour! I think one made it your way! Keep hope alive! This summer is nothing like 93! Analogs are good for sh!t! How soon we forget about our blockbuster winter that just past!! :)

Archived