joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Discussion for April

Quincy

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's not snow in SNE it's 5 days in a row of rain and low - mid 30's for all.. So you damn well better wish for snow

If the weather did what we wished, I'd have 600" of snow this winter and would be BBQing in flip flops right now next to a 25 foot snowpack.

Unfortunately it don't work like that.

Yeah, or it could also be a 34F rain here while Montreal to Jackman gets buried haha.

I posted a month or so ago that the storm track would delay its move to a favorable one (for NNE) until it was too late and would just make for cold rain, maybe with a few catspaws.  Love to be wrong...  (about the too late part) 

GFS is really nice looking for NNE on Fri night/Sat morning.

If things break right, it could be an epic week for the ski resorts up north...GFS is still a bit north for mid-week to smoke them, but it's really close...a bit better than 12z. That boundary won't be resolved for another several days though.

Kevin April 2010 was a torch

That was the year where NE VT had it's biggest snowfall of the season on April 26-28. Even BTV got 6"...but the western slope towns got 12-24" along with the ski areas and parts of the NE Kingdom. I think that was the poster klm' largest of the season by far.

That's the largest late season event I've ever seen. And it was a torch so all the leaves were out. I remember green leaves and like 18" of snow above 700ft on the west slope towns.

If things break right, it could be an epic week for the ski resorts up north...GFS is still a bit north for mid-week to smoke them, but it's really close...a bit better than 12z. That boundary won't be resolved for another several days though.

Still snowy SNE Easter?

Fri night and Sat on that 18z GFS is about perfect up here right now. It got a little stronger and seemed to juice up a bit closer to the EURO levels.

It also had some light snow in SNE for Easter into Monday morning.

I'd agree with BTV's thoughts of 2-5" potential, maybe spot 6-7" highest terrain.

-----------

If spots do hit 60f Friday, that would be the first time since around last Thanksgiving, a seemingly long time ago indeed. Welcomed warmth is relatively short-lived however, as by Friday night a fairly robust surface wave will ride along the front to our immediate south with a general re-blossoming of widespread precipitation. Most challenging will be the near-surface thermal profiles and timing of p-type changeover from rain to snow as flow trends northerly and cold thermal advection begins in earnest through the lower and middle levels. Leaned toward the milder/less snow scenario during the first half of the night given prior day's mild temperatures and ground temperature response. However by later at night enough cooling such that most areas will have transitioned to a light to moderate wet snow with some accumulations possible. Best estimate at this point will be for accumulations to range generally in the 2 to 5 inch range (less far southern valleys and locally higher to 6/7 inches in favored higher terrain locales across the north). With surface/ground temperatures hovering around freezing mainly a minor impact event expected, though a reminder that the cold winter of 2014/15 hasn't totally played his last card quite yet. &&

Archived