joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not many have the resources and QC of Blue Hill, not to mention the greatest non missing day historical data of any first order station but then again no one believed the 186 gust either. 

Measuring atop that mound is not easy. You will introduce more error than usual with the type of wind they get up there. Places sheltered from the wind up there still have the same bias introduced because of blow-over effect. (akin to saying near your house is sheltered, so it's accurate, but in reality, the house blocking the wind will created different inaccuracies, such as roof blow-off, or shadowing, etc)

I'm not saying they are wrong, but I do this type of thing ALL the time...looking over snow data and QCing it....and it's a bit more complex up there than you are implying.

I think given the history and pride they have speak for themselves. This isn't some yahoo site. But who really knows

I trust their reports more than just about anyone else's

i follow there Twitter account and they document each and every measurement, for example, you will not find anyone anywhere with these kind of details

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aZ1wclmH3OoecoYHYFexa9oCBSxx5DWWl0VBXtT8zUA/edit

WOW

IEMBot BOX ‏@iembot_box  2m

HARTFORD/BRADLEY,CT (BDL) ASOS reports gust of 50.0 knots (57.5 mph) from NW @ 2035Z

Nice. Not sure if it'll be widespread 55mph+, but it's definitely verifying a little stronger than I thought. I was leaning toward widespread 45mph with a spot 50mph. There's pretty good mixing with the initial frontal passage. Those gusts won't last all night.

Nice. Not sure if it'll be widespread 55mph+, but it's definitely verifying a little stronger than I thought. I was leaning toward widespread 45mph with a spot 50mph. There's pretty good mixing with the initial frontal passage. Those gusts won't last all night.

These NW wind events always seem to over perform in Morch as you get more mixing.

I'd wager we do this all over again Sunday

I think given the history and pride they have speak for themselves. This isn't some yahoo site. But who really knows

I trust their reports more than just about anyone else's

Well Will stated it nicely and I also am going by someone who worked there. There was no reason for me to expect them to be over 22" difference prior to the other day. It's simply doing the math. But hey, I know they are prestigious and blah blah blah.

To be fair, you did say you missed some measurements at home due to work. That could account for a few inches. Plus you are in a pretty windy area?

And they have 600' of el on you

The storms were all cold. Elevation won't matter. They also were west of the best snow in the long duration event. I also can go by my recollection of radar and PNS reports. Just does not pass the smell test, but I'll leave it at that.

To be fair, you did say you missed some measurements at home due to work. That could account for a few inches. Plus you are in a pretty windy area?

And they have 600' of el on you

they had a nice depth pic of 46 that looked even, undrifted and a new record. They also had 11 going into Jan so that is double what Scot had, add a couple of missed measurements, elevation events, a couple of windex events  and there is really not much of a difference, 20 inches over 5 months is really nothing. I myself believe Scott undermeasured and if he had the resources to measure every 6 hours his real total would probably be in the 140 range. And yes w/e do tell a huge story. 

Archived