joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Texas/New Mexico/Louisiana/Mexico Obs And Discussion Thread Part 7

wxmx

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not even near the heaviest rain and it's an absolute monsoon where I am. I can't imagine how it is near the airport and San Marcos. This is just insane. One thing to be thankful for I guess is that the heaviest rain is missing the creek beds northwest of Austin. That area has only had about 2". Otherwise there would be devastating flooding downtown. East and south of downtown are overwhelmed with water rescues.

Flash flood emergency for Onion Creek, which runs through the SE side of town. It has to be catastrophic down there at this point. I'm up to about 6.5", near the airport is close to a foot.

Just saw pictures of cars floating at the Rt. 183/71 interchange, just west of the airport.

Check out pics/articles from October 1998...I was down there for that flooding. We had like 8 inches of rain in about 3 hours where I was.

Check out pics/articles from October 1998...I was down there for that flooding. We had like 8 inches of rain in about 3 hours where I was.

Onion Creek is now just 2 feet below the 1998 event. This appears to be headed to a new record.

Record set: 25.4 Feet

the portion of this heavy rain that's been off and on again with rotation since earlier this morning is moving NE now, making its turn towards College Station and Texas A&M. Would anyone know if they got the doppler there on campus going to keep track of all of this?

They do have a radar there, hope someone is manning it today.

Today was just unbelievable! I have nearly fourteen inches of rain in Buda!

I cannot believe how high Onion Creek was today, just under the Rt 967 bridge! I have NEVER EVER seen so much water here in South Central Texas before!

Is this true, we are supposed to get even more rain tonight?

Officially 14.53" of rain today at the airport (AUS), smashing the daily all-time record. Just under 5" at Camp Mabry, on the west side which wasn't hit as hard. From there west to Lake Travis averaged 3-5". Downtown I'd say had 8-10" judging on the rain gauges there. Downtown was VERY lucky-had the rain totals over the airport fallen instead over the Waller/Shoal creekbeds, there would have been a wall of water downtown much worse than Memorial Day even. Sunset Valley and SW Austin where I am had 7-9".

Adding that to the 7.5" the airport had from the rain last weekend, they're up to 22" for this month, which also might be an all-time monthly record. They had zero rain for October a week ago!!!! 

The airport had to shut down because of flooding in the control tower and water covering the runway. 

And it's not over-there looks to at least be a period of more storms as the front approaches-we can already see this building far into the Hill Country. Hopefully though this is progressive and gives us only another inch or two. 

At Camp Mabry, with two months to go in a strong El Nino regime, 2015 is the second wettest year on record, at AUS it's the third wettest. 

Classic Balconies annihilator. It was a forgone conclusion that there would be some localized areas that got some big totals, but I don't think anyone expected something like this.

I have to hand it to the NAM, crazy as it sounds. I saw the crazy totals being printed out on the 4K NAM for a couple of runs and thought someone would be in trouble. The Euro highlighted this area as well for the highest rain totals, but it showed a larger area of 4-6" of rain rather than the 15" that fell near AUS and down towards San Marcos. 

When the "2015-16 El Nino" highlight reel is shown, today around Austin will be one of the highlights.

Archived