Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/Oak Hill Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big time spring thaw going on here, 53F, lots of melting snow and runoff. Would have preferred a more gradual process but looking at the forecast for this week I wonder if there will be any snow left here by the weekend, even in shaded areas. We shall see. Still enjoying having snow on the ground though.

Big time spring thaw going on here, 53F, lots of melting snow and runoff. Would have preferred a more gradual process but looking at the forecast for this week I wonder if there will be any snow left here by the weekend, even in shaded areas. We shall see. Still enjoying having snow on the ground though.

Given the amount of water in the snow in some spots, a good steady but not too fast melt will be ideal to avoid flooding.

Well, as you know, bird migration is strongly affected by weather (though even more strongly by the sun's movement); many birds have been held back by ice and snow - the wild ducks have been wanted to move north for several weeks.  They are packed into any open area of water on any lake.  Tens of thousands of sea ducks have been floating up and down the oceanside length of Sandy Hook this winter - a remarkable sight.  It is time to start watching radar for bird migration!  The very first laughing gull of the year showed up two days ago in Cape May - very late.  They are almost an invariable arrival at the Cape May Ferry exactly on March 1.  Look to hear red-winged blackbirds singing in any marsh now.  They were pushed slightly south, but didn't leave south Jersey.  The arrivals will be here in a rush now, because they have been delayed.  None of the usual February early birds are here yet, but every day brings a new report of a new species.  Any south wind is going to light up the night radar now, if it is not too strong.

Yeah I saw a few robins too for the first time this year hanging out under some pine trees where there was a patch of bare ground.

Anyway, here's a pic from this morning before the sun came up. The end is near for my snowpack which has been on the ground since late January! Gonna be weird to see grass again! Hahaha

post-2166-0-09222500-1425988073_thumb.jp

Intellicast snowcover map (not sure how accurate) shows 2-4 inches around Philly currently...looking at the forecast I imagine this is all gone by tomorrow.

I'll be in Harrisburg next Thursday (traveling from N of NYC) and on Friday was hoping to get some golf in on my way home. I figure there still may be snow there, but if I head east towards Philly on my way home maybe I could find an open course. Anyone know of any currently open ones, or ones that are pretty much open whenever there isn't snow?

Intellicast snowcover map (not sure how accurate) shows 2-4 inches around Philly currently...looking at the forecast I imagine this is all gone by tomorrow.

I'll be in Harrisburg next Thursday (traveling from N of NYC) and on Friday was hoping to get some golf in on my way home. I figure there still may be snow there, but if I head east towards Philly on my way home maybe I could find an open course. Anyone know of any currently open ones, or ones that are pretty much open whenever there isn't snow?

I'm not plugged into the condition of golf courses in the area, but it sounds like you might want to dress for cold weather by that time.

I imagine courses near Philly or in South Jersey will be largely snow free by the end of the weekend, but I'm sure some might not want a lot of traffic on them yet even if so. There are at least a couple of posters in here who would know I'm sure.

My sump pumps kicked on yesterday. Looks like they're gonna be busy the next couple of weeks with rain, snow melt and ground thaw.

There's been a lot of little babbling brooks running around here during the day since Sunday, but I'm thinking it's going to slow down a little since most of the new snow from last week has melted off in sunny areas, and in less sunny areas it's now become part of the denser remaining snowpack.

I'm not plugged into the condition of golf courses in the area, but it sounds like you might want to dress for cold weather by that time.

I imagine courses near Philly or in South Jersey will be largely snow free by the end of the weekend, but I'm sure some might not want a lot of traffic on them yet even if so. There are at least a couple of posters in here who would know I'm sure.

Yeah, I saw it looks to get colder around St. Patties days. I'm actually fine playing golf even if it's 40 out...I haven't played since November and we still have a foot of snow on the ground up here, so anything is a bonus. 

Much irrelevant programming but the Boston snow coverage was great,they cover big events in the NE all night, DR. Greg Forbes is the best severe weather analyst on cable. Another problem is that without TWC you don't get Weatherscan which gives real time animated radar  and NWS alerts not available anymore.

Archived