Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/Oak Hill Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since this is a banter thread, I'll post this here.

I've noticed that the golfers (on this board and a Philly-centric weather board I also frequent) who rooted on snow all winter long suddenly became warmanistas (aka "bring on 70 + degrees") by the beginning of March.  I'm no golfer, but I love playing tennis and I don't play indoor tennis because I'm a cheap b@stard who refuses to pay for the ability to play indoors. And while I'd be fine with sunny, warm weather which allows me to play tennis - I'd never turn down the opportunity for a decent snow event any month of the year.  So I don't understand someone who roots on snow from November through late February and then - after late February - hates it with a passion because of their love of playing golf.  I think if you love golf that much, you may want to consider moving to a more southern location whose weather allows for golf to be played most or all of the year.  Just a thought!

I've noticed that the golfers (on this board and a Philly-centric weather board I also frequent) who rooted on snow all winter long suddenly became warmanistas (aka "bring on 70 + degrees") by the beginning of March.  I'm no golfer, but I love playing tennis and I don't play indoor tennis because I'm a cheap b@stard who refuses to pay for the ability to play indoors. And while I'd be fine with sunny, warm weather which allows me to play tennis - I'd never turn down the opportunity for a decent snow event any month of the year.  So I don't understand someone who roots on snow from November through late February and then - after late February - hates it with a passion because of their love of playing golf.  I think if you love golf that much, you may want to consider moving to a more southern location whose weather allows for golf to be played most or all of the year.  Just a thought!

Eh march snow 9 times out of 10 is a disappointment here, I think I can remember only 2 off the top of my head that were awesome storms in March(granted I've only been alive for 24 years). One of those was like all sleet too. I'd just rather it be sunny and 60F in March than a 1-3 inch wet snow storm that doesn't stick to anything but the grass. I wouldn't trade a 6+" storm for a golf day but I definitely would trade an event like tomorrow, for a good golf day early in the season. Wouldn't say I hate the snow after March, just that snowstorms just don't have much of an impact here this late in the season especially when it falls during the day. Plus it takes me til late July to find my golf game anyway, so an early spring means that I may actually start playing better in June ;)

One of the people you speak of works at a golf course, so for that individual, its all about workload.

I've noticed that the golfers (on this board and a Philly-centric weather board I also frequent) who rooted on snow all winter long suddenly became warmanistas (aka "bring on 70 + degrees") by the beginning of March. I'm no golfer, but I love playing tennis and I don't play indoor tennis because I'm a cheap b@stard who refuses to pay for the ability to play indoors. And while I'd be fine with sunny, warm weather which allows me to play tennis - I'd never turn down the opportunity for a decent snow event any month of the year. So I don't understand someone who roots on snow from November through late February and then - after late February - hates it with a passion because of their love of playing golf. I think if you love golf that much, you may want to consider moving to a more southern location whose weather allows for golf to be played most or all of the year. Just a thought!

Agreed!!

And what bothers me the most is that they get an attitude about it which does make me question are they true snow lovers

even a 1 to 3 inch snow is nice to watch fall and yeah if it disappears this time of the year in a day or two so be it…

But it should be beautiful tomorrow with the snow plastered to the trees!

I belong to a golf course and do become torn at this time of year between snow and golf. However I know that at this time of year any snow that falls is relatively short-lived unlike January and February snowfalls. But you just never know when you may witness a special event so I keep on looking.. Except for Sandy and Irene - I don't want to go through that again.

One of the people you speak of works at a golf course, so for that individual, its all about workload.

Right, but an occupational hazard of working at a golf course in PA means there are years when you will have to deal with snow in March and early April.  This ain't Augusta, GA!

If this is the last snow of the winter, I bid adieu. And will wait in anticipation of next winter.

“Thank goodness for the first snow, it was a reminder--no matter how old you became and how much you'd seen, things could still be new if you were willing to believe they still mattered.” 

I know what you're saying. I feel fortunate to be able to enjoy snow any time of year. I put in a long day today with massive amounts of productivity both in work and yard work, so I can take some time to enjoy the snow tomorrow and to keep the spring cleanup process going in case my wish for inches of snow is realized. :snowing:

I know what you're saying. I feel fortunate to be able to enjoy snow any time of year. I put in a long day today with massive amounts of productivity both in work and yard work, so I can take some time to enjoy the snow tomorrow and to keep the spring cleanup process going in case my wish for inches of snow is realized. :snowing:

Now that's a great feeling regardless of whether we get snow or not…

Let's hope we Snow-lovers can enjoy!

John:

It's all about what's right for the season.   Strange as it seems Spring is probably the WORST season for me....mud....allergies....lawn mowing twice a week....but that's what Spring is.  It may also have something to do with age.   When I was younger, I did a lot of skiing and could tolerate the cold better and could deal with it longer.   But as injuries (knee, back, shoulder) and age took their toll and skiing became unadvisable and unenjoyable, I didn't quite want to see those six-month long winters (like 1996 or 2002).  I still like my snow...but "in it's season", which I would say is December through February, which after all is meteorological winter.   Because of winter's late start this year, I was fine with a March 3 snowstorm.   March 20.....meh.   I have to admit I was rooting against this one.   Nevertheless, it was an amazing day.   For those who like year round cold,  well, move to the Yukon.....and for the year-round "warministas".....try the Caribbean.   I like the variety of the seasons, which means that one season has to end at some point.    I would think that snowlovers in this region have little to complain about with this winter (unless one does not like extreme cold).  It wasn't a 6 month winter like 96 or '02, but it had plenty of action and interesting weather.  But it's Spring now.....time to move on!

Archived