• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/1-2/2015 SWFE/Wave Discussion

SR Airglow

If we can trend that northern stream shortwave in the lakes a bit deeper, then we would increase our chances for higher end advisory snows or some 6"+ lollis.

It would infuse just a bit of extra moisture from the south. Otherwise we're trying to live off of just pure WAA from the southwest which would keep totals in that 2-4 range most likely.

Would that be a trade off for the PVD -TAn area, increased S Flow?

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think for SNE, this could be almost as good as the last SWFE that dumped 7" and 8" amounts in CT. We got a pretty strong jet streak pointed right at us. PWATs of 0.5" and cooler upper levels with a pretty amped up S/W diving a bit south towards us. I don't know what the lift looks like because I don't have bufkit, but I think it should be pretty decent with good WAA, nice 50+ knot LLJ, PVA from the strong S/W diving south and that jet streak. The major lift looks to be above 850mb probably 800mb-600mb based on that analysis so I'm guessing snow growth should be better than the last event for areas that rained more than snow. Should definitely be more widespread with the jackpot snows. Even though qpf looks like 0.3",  I feel it will verify closer to 0.4"-0.6" because of the points mentioned above. Therefore I'm looking at a preliminary snowcast of 3"-7" with a more widespread appeal than the last event. Just my opinion on the matter as of right now.

I think for SNE, this could be almost as good as the last SWFE that dumped 7" and 8" amounts in CT. We got a pretty strong jet streak pointed right at us. PWATs of 0.5" and cooler upper levels with a pretty amped up S/W diving a bit south towards us. I don't know what the lift looks like because I don't have bufkit, but I think it should be pretty decent with good WAA, nice 50+ knot LLJ, PVA from the strong S/W diving south and that jet streak. The major lift looks to be above 850mb probably 800mb-600mb based on that analysis so I'm guessing snow growth should be better than the last event for areas that rained more than snow. Should definitely be more widespread with the jackpot snows. Even though qpf looks like 0.3",  I feel it will verify closer to 0.4"-0.6" because of the points mentioned above. Therefore I'm looking at a preliminary snowcast of 3"-7" with a more widespread appeal than the last event. Just my opinion on the matter as of right now.

Thoughts on p-type issues on immediate coast?

It's pretty chilly even down to the coast. Looks like Cape and the Islands might be the only places to see a mix. 

Interesting, just that the box map has the immediate coast at lower totals.  Even in situations where we don't mix, we don't seem to do that well off a S or even S/W wind where I'm at, though I don't really understand why.

Interesting, just that the box map has the immediate coast at lower totals.  Even in situations where we don't mix, we don't seem to do that well off a S or even S/W wind where I'm at, though I don't really understand why.

You gotta realize that the upper levels really don't taint unless over the Cape and Islands. The surface will stay 32F or lower. The ocean with the SW and WSW winds won't really do much. The sea temperature is below 32F for most with all that ice floating around anyways.

Well, this system would be a win/win if it keeps trending south and more of a phase because then the low would develop quicker and possibly help in generating more confluence to our north as it positions itself as the 50/50 low. So further SE with the S/W and quicker phase would be helpful in increasing potential snow amounts and getting the Wed deal to trend south. 

Archived