• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/1-2/2015 SWFE/Wave Discussion

SR Airglow

I'm actually in the "developing a surface low south of LI" camp because that S/W keeps trending more south as it dives SE out of Canada and phasing better too.

Well that would be good for the region. Hopefully the other models agree. If the s/w digs too much though..it pulls everything north, but the airmass ahead of it can allow for those northerly wiggles. 

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm actually in the "developing a surface low south of LI" camp because that S/W keeps trending more south as it dives SE out of Canada and phasing better too.

That could help juice the system nicely but it would definitely bring the 850-900mb layer into play for at least southern CT/RI since the ML lows will be a bit NW of sfc low. It probably would be good for your area up into MA and S NH/VT though...you'd probably want to play with fire in this event to maximize the snow.

At hr 66, it almost looks like it wants to pop a little low near the NJ coast.

Its trys to blow the low up as it hits the atlantic, Little more moisture back NW this run as it tries to turn the corner, Before its all said and done we will be congratulating Eastport................. :lol:

Better late development on this run.

Watch that northern stream shortwave in the lakes...it's the key.

The models have been trending for more of a weak coastal reflection the past 2 days as that s/w dives further south and shows up stronger. I think this has some upside too it.

It also looks like the trough over the SW US moved west enough so heights aren't as compressed over the SE.

That's probably good for later in the week...not to get too off topic.

But yeah, the variables aren't isolated....the northern stream shortwave digs more...but why? Probably factors that include less resistance form the SE ridges due to a retrograding SW trough.

How is that the case with better development?

I think the fact that the s/w was allowed to dig a bit and help try and develop a secondary near the SNE coast, instead of one primary moving into New England. With the trough in the SW US sort of moving out of the way a bit, heights were lower on the east coast. That helps to allow for a secondary to form instead of a fast flow that can't be compressed (or allowing the s/w to dig) and the primary moving into New England.

So does that answer my question in a roundabout way? 

Question.

The stronger this low is..that directly affects the track of the mid week low right?

I.e...it would better help to force more confluence and force things south?

That's probably good for later in the week...not to get too off topic.

But yeah, the variables aren't isolated....the northern stream shortwave digs more...but why? Probably factors that include less resistance form the SE ridges due to a retrograding SW trough.

I think the fact that the s/w was allowed to dig a bit and help try and develop a secondary near the SNE coast, instead of one primary moving into New England. With the trough in the SW US sort of moving out of the way a bit, heights were lower on the east coast. That helps to allow for a secondary to form instead of a fast flow that can't be compressed (or allowing the s/w to dig) and the primary moving into New England.

Too it didn't dig a little further west, but then again...if it saved the larger deal Wednesday, then it's worth it. 

Canadian still less robust than the GFS, but more organized compared to 00z.  More of a south coast deal still.

I think it's behind the curve this time...synoptically, this just looks like it wants to go more north than what it has shown. I could be wrong...there's always unforeseen variables, but more often than not, the synoptics seem to win out.  

I think it's behind the curve this time...synoptically, this just looks like it wants to go more north than what it has shown. I could be wrong...there's always unforeseen variables, but more often than not, the synoptics seem to win out.  

I agree. It almost had to move north by default..lol. It's really displaced compared to the H5 look. Might be keying on a baroclinic zone down there, but I would expect another move north.

Archived