joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 21st Storm Banter and Party Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Along with the ignominy of only getting 3.75" yesterday, the nut punch came when DirecTV decided to go down at around 7:00 last night because of a some slop on the dish. Still isn't up this morning.

That is why i put the dish somewhere i could reach it instead of my roof. If i had it on my roof it would be out every winter numerous times.

I saw a report of 8" in DC near the aboretum. Legit?

The gradient with this storm was interesting to follow. 2" in davidsonville/annapolis, 4" in crofton, 5" imby (a coc report of 6 right down the road) and just over 6" at bwi. That's about a 15 mile difference top to bottom. Really fun event.

of course not...and apparently the person is a trained spotter?  lol

That is why i put the dish somewhere i could reach it instead of my roof. If i had it on my roof it would be out every winter numerous times.

Same here. I usually have to go out several times and wipe it off especially in wet snow. I tell people never put it on the roof. Last year after the ice storm my neighbor had no tv for several days.

I saw a report of 8" in DC near the aboretum. Legit?

The gradient with this storm was interesting to follow. 2" in davidsonville/annapolis, 4" in crofton, 5" imby (a coc report of 6 right down the road) and just over 6" at bwi. That's about a 15 mile difference top to bottom. Really fun event.

I'm just glad I was on the fun side. 5 miles to my south got shafted. We were lucky here in the Crofton area. That was a close call.

of course not...and apparently the person is a trained spotter?  lol

lol.. why would LWX even put that on the list.  i have a feeling there are a number of snow depth reports floating rather than new snow.

I've got no choice because there's a veritable forest in my neighbor's backyard, so the only way to get an unobscured view of the southwest is to go on the roof.

I took a drive around.

It's depressing. We are in effect starting from back in the days when we had mild road temps. Roads are dry. Where there is water, it is NOT refreezing. The sun today has warmed roads back to pre-December temps. I took a very slow, despondent jebwalk. There was no ice to be found on any road. All of the roads were dry and quite mild. The snowpack was depressingly thin. South facing lawns held up BUT are depressingly thin. I live in the Virginia Tropic Zone where mid Spring weather can occur at any time in our winter. I have experienced January days in the 80s here in the Virginia Tropics.

We have effectively lost everything we gained yesterday and then some. We have mild road temps. The water on our roads here in the Tropics will not freeze again til about 6am. These roads are so damn mild that we probably do not need to brine them again til February 2016. I did find a few places on the north sides of buildings that did have slush and black ice. I slid on those but continued to despondently, dejectedly drag myself around a mild road system with almost no snow and ice on it. There was water but it was not freezing, not even at 8pm.

It appears that we have 95 percent areal coverage of snow. Some south facing lawns were destroyed by the high sun angle and the warmth. It hit 50 degrees and that sun  presided over the merciless destruction of my snow for hours and hours. What snow we have left is depressingly thin. On south facing lawns the snow is 1-2 inches deep. On many south facing lawns the snow was annihilated by that damned sun. The north facing lawns offer remnant snowpacks ranging from 4 to 6 inches. The snow piles look pretty good but have been greatly lessened by todays tropical heatwave.

I drove around tonight over extremely clean roads that only 2 days ago had much packed snow on them, Now all of that is gone, probably til next winter, maybe even longer.

This is what we get for being so patient: No effin mercy, NONE.

Its night time and no water is freezing on roads. Its so depressing. It feels like late October. All of our latest progress yesterday was lost in a single afternoon.

You have to go into far northern Maryland to find places that the damned sun did not ravage.

All of my beloved slush on the roads is long gone. I will not see it for a year, possibly longer. We had roads that were so cold that they would get plowed then refreeze. You could throw water on them and it would freeze. We had slush and ice galore. I could step onto my street and slide. I loved that ice and slush so much. I had my heart set on going to the mall parking lot and confidently jebwalking on icy surfaces while people all around me flailed and screamed in alarm as they fell extremely hard, with great force, down onto the ice that I worship with all of my being. I yearned to hear the whine of tires spinning in place as people futilely tried to get their cars going in all of my ice and snow and slush. I had strong cravings to see ppl strain as they try to push cars in the slush, and get all spattered with dirty slush, preferably on clean suits that they were going to proudly wear in the Mall.

Now, all of that glorious winter entertainment is gone. That ship sailed far away with that 50 degree sun this afternoon and it wont be back for a return engagement until Feb 2016 or possibly later.

Now, I am back to square one for another year. I walk forlornly all over clean dry roads where water never freezes any more. The sun rules over Tropical Virginia as spring is getting firmly entrenched and day by day what remains of my snow melts and melts. The EPO is switching signs and it definitely means business! The West will become troffy. The East where we live will become dominated by The Ridge From Hell. Spring is coming and its going to be one HOT son of a bytch too!

I dearly LOVE snow and ice and slush on roads. I love so much to listen to the sweet sound of tires spinning futilely in packed snow and slush. I love to watch as folks try to navigate icy walks and parking lots, all while I confidently jebwalk across those same icy roads with little effort while bystanders gasp in astonishment.

I love to see deep snow in northern VA and watch as ppl get stuck in traffic that stretches for hundreds of miles on I-95 because I crave deep snow so much. I love Siberian high winds gusting to 65 mpg, throwing trash cans around like so much confetti and freezing the hell out of bystanders and blowing snow into drifts that shut Washington DC down for weeks and filling my heart with sublime joy.

Archived