• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
End of February/ Early March Discussion Thread 2015

Allsnow

Yes but it has happened plenty of times in the past along with snow in April.

I'm getting kind of tired of people making these types of logical errors.  Yes, it has happened before.  A handful of times in the nearly 150 year climatological history of NYC, making it a one in 10 or 20 year phenomenon.  Do you realize how rare that is?  The chances of a snowstorm in NYC (let's say > 6") after March 20th are nearly negligible.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

since 1950 NYC has seen at least a two inch snowfall in 1956, 1957, 1982, 2003...the blizzard of 1982 stands out as the greatest April snowstorm on record for snow and cold...April 2003 was another all snow mid day event...1956 and 1957 was wet snow and rain...

Four times in 65 years, or essentially one in every 16.25 years.

Look at Uncle's post. It works out to once every 4 years or so. That's not really rare. -EPO can keep the snow chances around. Last March's -EPO regime kept winter in the Southern MidAtlantic until late March.

It's about once every 5 yrs for measurable snow and probably 15-20 for 6"+.  The former is around the same probability of accumulating snow in the deep south in any given winter.

The Gfs would bring seasonable to slightly below temps during the "warm up".

Regardless it will still feel relatively warm compared to the cold of the past several weeks but we're not talking walking outside in shorts and a t-shirt either. The nights will still be chilly to cold.

In about 10 days, the avg high in NYC reaches 50F.

since 1950 NYC has seen at least a two inch snowfall in 1956, 1957, 1982, 2003...the blizzard of 1982 stands out as the greatest April snowstorm on record for snow and cold...April 2003 was another all snow mid day event...1956 and 1957 was wet snow and rain...

And April 9th-10th of 1996 for NJ and LI. We had 8" around here.

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/1996/09-Apr-96.html

And April 9th-10th of 1996 for NJ and LI. We had 8" around here.

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/1996/09-Apr-96.html

Again, for much of NJ.

April 9th, 2000:

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2000/09-Apr-00.html

April Fool's day of 1997:

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/1997/31-Mar-97.html

Pretty big event for some.

Again, for much of NJ.

April 9th, 2000:

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2000/09-Apr-00.html

April Fool's day of 1997:

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/1997/31-Mar-97.html

Pretty big event for some.

Definitely makes sense for you guys getting more April snow, since it is typically so elevation or proximity-to-the-ocean dependent.

That average sure but some people here lust after snow and cold like some kind of sick fetish and love to twist things to seem like we are getting locked in to a freaking ICE AGE! And they love it. I work outside and want nothing more than this to END. How do these snow freaks cope? DO they have plows and crews on call to always dig them out? Are they shut-ins who just look out the window all day? I cant grasp how some people love the brutal cold and the snow. Its hell for the average working man.

I actually enjoy walking in the cold and snow. I sit at my office desk during regular workdays.

Some stats for the 1900-2014 period (115 years) regarding late-season snowstorms (after March 15):

4" or more: 18 (approximately 1 every 6.4 years)

6" or more: 11 (approximately 1 every 10.5 years)

8" or more: 5 (approximately 1 every 23 years)

so....something exciting 17% of the time, and higher for the burbs. Additionally....probably a bunch of near misses where the model runs in advance are pretty exciting. Sounds to me like we will be sweating something out and / or getting something a good 35-40% of the time from mid March onward.. Not too bad at all. Lets hope!

I'm getting kind of tired of people making these types of logical errors. Yes, it has happened before. A handful of times in the nearly 150 year climatological history of NYC, making it a one in 10 or 20 year phenomenon. Do you realize how rare that is? The chances of a snowstorm in NYC (let's say > 6") after March 20th are nearly negligible.

The other factor now and a huge one is the sun, I know some people say it's not a factor until april but it is. Reality is that we have the sun working against us in a huge way and that sun angle effect just increases from here on out

Old man winter is getting ready to exit stage right, the curtains are getting ready to be drawn down and the fat lady is standing at the microphone warming up her vocal cords, tic toc, tic toc......

I have 11" of snow in the 5 days since you claimed winter was over. If you cant handle people discussing potential winter weather, STOP POSTING. Its that simple. No more straw men.

The Warm up  is muted AGAIN it lasts about 5 days and that is it . ( which was opined here 2 weeks ago ) and can be found on the 1st 5 pages ) . Here comes  POS PNA NEG EPO again .  The trough will be back in the east by  day 11  and you are looking at a possible 10 to 15 day stretch of 15 below normal .

So if your average H should be  in the mid 40`s , you end up in the mid 30`s and by the end of the month your highs should be close to 50 , and you will not sniff that .

All of this is cold enough for snow if something comes along through the flow .  - EPO has the same effect on the pattern in March , you force the jet off Asia ( where it is cold ) over the pole ( where it is cold ) a POS PNA  means that low level cold air is forced through the lakes into the NE .

This is not hard . No one is calling for 0 or 10 , but highs In the mid 30`s and lows in the mid 20`s will make sure you don`t forget winter is not over .

GET OVER IT , The pattern dictates the weather , not probability and not ones frustration with cold weather .

Warm up muted AGAIN it lasts about 5 days and that is it . ( which was opined here 2 weeks ago ) and can be found on the 1st 5 pages ) . Here comes POS PNA NEG EPO again . The trough will be back in the east by day 11 and you are looking at a possible 10 to 15 day stretch of 15 below normal .

So if your average H should be in the mid 40`s , you end up in the mid 30`s and by the end of the month your highs should be close to 50 , and you will not sniff that .

All of this is cold enough for snow if something comes along through the flow . - EPO has the same effect on the pattern in March , you force the jet off Asia ( where it is cold ) over the pole ( where it is cold ) a POS PNA means that low level cold air is forced through the lakes into the NE .

This is not hard . No one is calling for 0 or 10 , but highs In the mid 30`s and lows in the mid 20`s will make sure you don`t forget winter is not over .

GET OVER IT , The pattern dictates the weather , not probability and not ones frustration with cold weather .

This

No one wants it to get warmer more than me. I have softball season starting, $80 million worth of construction projects at work that are way behind schedule because of this crap and I'm having a house built that I need to move into by the end of April. but since this is a thread to talk about the actual upcoming weather and not fantasyland you have to be honest when looking at the pattern. it looks to me like a short period of possibly seasonal weather and then back into the relative freezer again

Archived