Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 20-22 Storm Potential

Hoosier

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice GFS...stronger/better looking wave leading to stronger sfc low/overall p-falls ahead of it and now we're seeing much better 850/925mb trajectories allowing for better moisture transport.

Not to jump the gun either but 925mbs are at 45kts over northeast IL and you have a 44mb pressure gradient....could maybe argue the b word in spots on this run.

Small area of 80kts at 850mb almost out of the due south across the EVV area 

post-266-0-78137700-1424233383_thumb.gif

post-266-0-05120800-1424233388_thumb.gif

Very nice GFS...stronger/better looking wave leading to stronger sfc low/overall p-falls ahead of it and now we're seeing much better 850/925mb trajectories allowing for better moisture transport.

Not to jump the gun either but 925mbs are at 45kts over northeast IL and you have a 44mb pressure gradient....could maybe argue the b word in spots on this run.

Small area of 80kts at 850mb almost out of the due south across the EVV area 

attachicon.gifgfs 850 winds 105.gif

attachicon.gifgfs 925 winds 105.gif

I agree that one could argue the b word from this run.  Winds would support it.

Definitely concerned about ice potential along the I-70 corridor with this as we will certainly have a very cold air mass and ground preceding this system with strong moisture transport.    Going to have to watch closely the next few days.  This afternoon in their AFD IND was already talking about "mixed precipitation" with this system

Really concerned about wind potential up north with B issues and strong winds with icing down my way;..

The setup definitely smells like ice potential somewhere across Indiana and Ohio.

I'm not really sold on ice at this point... at least significant ice.  Would like to see more of a bridge/banana high configuration on the models.  That being said, the lead up to this storm is going to be unusually cold and we could see another instance of the ground accreting even with temps above freezing.

Up there with GHD I and II in this regard

GHD II didn't have as tight of a baroclinic zone, if I recall.

If we can get all of the shortwave energy to round the base of the trough and take on a negative tilt (a little further than what the GFS shows), this thing can really explode. 

This one has that "look" of a storm that ramps up to verification. Looking at dprog/dt for the last four GFS runs clearly shows that the 00z prog with the trough at 96 hrs has become more negatively tilted/defined with a stronger mid/upper level jet and better divergence aloft than indicated in previous runs. Incidentally the 00z CMC and UK showed this same shift compared to their 12z runs.

Just a look at the 300 and 500 mb setups alone on the 00z GFS would indicate the potential for a higher end event, although keep in mind that the wave that eventually develops into this trough is still well out in the N Pacific.

Archived