amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February 20-22 Storm Potential

Hoosier

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why? h5 heights look super flat as the energy rounds the base of the trough and that lead piece of energy leading to the convective breakout over TN doesn't help. It's a progressive looking setup...not going to punt on a wave ejecting out of the SW with an open gulf but I don't see much reason to be bullish on a NW trend.

Hard to not like this and a good number of members NW of the mean

Early look at 15z SREF snow and precip type plumes for various locations would seem to imply a fair number of north/warm solutions.

Lot of cold air around. And I understand the power of warm advection. Gulf moisture and Arctic air. Good mix for widespread winter precip.

completely different setup. we were waiting for the gulf low, which never developed. Instead the lead s/w was the main storm and it did move north.

we were waiting on a modeled storm, it failed.   The why's don't really matter, I wasn't trying to make a synoptic comparison. 

This one might have some tricks up it's sleeve as well.  Or maybe we have suddenly reached that golden moment when 4 day storms are a lock....or blind squirrel or whatever.  

It's always funny how people who have been crying the loudest about how horrible the models have been this winter suddenly grow silent when the pink is landing in their backyards... :lol:

we were waiting on a modeled storm, it failed.   The why's don't really matter, I wasn't trying to make a synoptic comparison. 

This one might have some tricks up it's sleeve as well.  Or maybe we have suddenly reached that golden moment when 4 day storms are a lock....or blind squirrel or whatever.  

It's always funny how people who have been crying the loudest about how horrible the models have been this winter suddenly grow silent when the pink is landing in their backyards... :lol:

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/45401-winter-1415-banter-complaint-thread-part-2

we were waiting on a modeled storm, it failed. The why's don't really matter, I wasn't trying to make a synoptic comparison.

This one might have some tricks up it's sleeve as well. Or maybe we have suddenly reached that golden moment when 4 day storms are a lock....or blind squirrel or whatever.

It's always funny how people who have been crying the loudest about how horrible the models have been this winter suddenly grow silent when the pink is landing in their backyards... :lol:

+5 on the burn scale lol. I agree though. Definitely not buying any solution yet. Lol. The 18z could show a cmh superbomb but outside of 2 days I'm not buying a thing. I just find it hard to believe in a +60° shift in 24 hours.

On those WB Maps, 2-5" is the blue shades, purple is 6-11" pink is 12"+ but don't forget they are contaminated with sleet / freezing rain counting as snow and are at 10:1 ratios too.

I know they're god awful for snow, but I like dividing by 10 to get a higher resolution picture of total QPF.  And I mean, would it kill him to just upload the whole map?

There is higher confidence with this storm than previous storms.  It is already known that the models have systematically undersimulated Pacific energy all winter long.  The NW trend today was fully anticipated.  At the same time, there is only so far NW it can go, which has already been noted by a couple people.  Ensemble members are fairly clustered as well.  I don't understand this negative attitude because people have higher confidence in this storm, which will probably impact Lower Michigan.  If it bothers you that the current models might be reasonably close to the actual solution, then just forecast something further south and make yourself feel better.  As it stands, a stripe of heavy snow in the Lower Peninsula is not a guarantee, as usual, but is perfectly reasonable to expect at this point.

There is higher confidence with this storm than previous storms.  It is already known that the models have systematically undersimulated Pacific energy all winter long.  The NW trend today was fully anticipated.  At the same time, there is only so far NW it can go, which has already been noted by a couple people.  Ensemble members are fairly clustered as well.  I don't understand this negative attitude because people have higher confidence in this storm, which will probably impact Lower Michigan.  If it bothers you that the current models might be reasonably close to the actual solution, then just forecast something further south and make yourself feel better.  As it stands, a stripe of heavy snow in the Lower Peninsula is not a guarantee, as usual, but is perfectly reasonable to expect at this point.

I thought the last fiasco and jump around on the models had more to do with the models unable to figure out how much energy would be ejected from the sw and which piece to focus on.   What if this one gets more strung out as well?   Is that possible?  Isn't what happens to the energy once it gets out into the plains more a response to a lot of other factors that have nothing to do with it's initial strength coming in off the PAC?     Not being a smart ass here...just asking.

You should probably just pay for it to see for yourself.

I refuse to support WxBell or Ryan Maue on moral grounds.  If it turns out I have to add up QPF frame by frame on Wunderground like some lowly peon, then so be it.  All I'm saying is that it doesn't make much sense to post a graphic that lacks critical information like time, duration, and a scale bar.

we were sitting in the pretty chair last week at this time.... on the northern fringe waiting for the inevitable north bump. We got bumped, knocked down and kicked in the sack.

That's why Columbus averages half the snow of SE Michigan, the natural low track screws you guys.

I thought the last fiasco and jump around on the models had more to do with the models unable to figure out how much energy would be ejected from the sw and which piece to focus on.   What if this one gets more strung out as well?   Is that possible?  Isn't what happens to the energy once it gets out into the plains more a response to a lot of other factors that have nothing to do with it's initial strength coming in off the PAC?     Not being a smart ass here...just asking.

Correct.  There are several players, including energy being drawn out of the upper low way off the Baja coast, the speed of the northern trough, and the position of the baroclinic zone laid down by the preceding wave on Friday night.  I did not eliminate any possibilities, I merely questioned the misguided anger directed at those who are acknowledging that the solution space is probably narrower at this lead time with this system than it has been with most other systems this winter.

Correct.  There are several players, including energy being drawn out of the upper low way off the Baja coast, the speed of the northern trough, and the position of the baroclinic zone laid down by the preceding wave on Friday night.  I did not eliminate any possibilities, I merely questioned the misguided anger directed at those who are acknowledging that the solution space is probably narrower at this lead time with this system than it has been with most other systems this winter.

thank you

Your post has already been addressed by a couple other folks.

The only thing I have to add is some of us have other things going on in our lives besides posting on a weather board all day (not trying to be rude or imply anything when saying this, it's the truth).

We're still looking at the same horrible models as before that will continue, like they consistently have for the past couple of seasons, to struggle with so many moving parts under the uber-progressive polar jet and the unimpressive subtropical jet. 

Archived