Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 20-22 Storm Potential

Hoosier

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the trend is good.  Normally I don't like to go much above the SREF plumes (21z mean was 3.something here) but I'm gonna go with first call of 5-7" and hope we don't backpedal too much on future runs, though as stated earlier, there should be reason for somewhat better confidence at this point with increased RAOB sampling and certainly the 12z runs will be interesting.  I'm thinking maybe 12:1 ratios or so due to a somewhat shallow DGZ and a bit of a warmish layer aloft.  Positive is that the bulk looks to fall prior to Saturday afternoon and thus prior to temps making a run toward freezing. 

Bullish. I think there's still some question to how far north better amounts get. While I like your top end potential, I'd probably broaden the call to 3-7". 

IND on the other hand is bearish for LAF. Despite being under a WWA, zone forecast is for around 2" total. I can't find a model right now that has that low of amounts for us, but whatever. Even I'm not that pessimistic. ;):lol:

.TONIGHT...CLOUDY WITH A 50 PERCENT CHANCE OF SNOW. LOWS AROUND

19. TEMPERATURE STEADY OR SLOWLY RISING AFTER MIDNIGHT. SOUTH

WINDS 5 TO 15 MPH.

.SATURDAY...NOT AS COLD. SNOW LIKELY. SNOW ACCUMULATION AROUND

2 INCHES. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 30S. EAST WINDS UP TO 5 MPH SHIFTING

TO THE NORTHWEST IN THE AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF SNOW 70 PERCENT.

.SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A 20 PERCENT CHANCE OF SNOW.

LOWS AROUND 18. NORTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH.

Bullish. I think there's still some question to how far north better amounts get. While I like your top end potential, I'd probably broaden the call to 3-7". 

IND on the other hand is bearish for LAF. Despite being under a WWA, zone forecast is for around 2" total. I can't find a model right now that has that low of amounts for us, but whatever. Even I'm not that pessimistic. ;):lol:

I agree on some Northward wiggle room. For once we're north of the bulls eye 24 out.  06Z GFS looked like it jumped slightly north of the river with the track.  Baby steps   :shiver:

.TONIGHT...CLOUDY WITH A 50 PERCENT CHANCE OF SNOW. LOWS AROUND

19. TEMPERATURE STEADY OR SLOWLY RISING AFTER MIDNIGHT. SOUTH

WINDS 5 TO 15 MPH.

.SATURDAY...NOT AS COLD. SNOW LIKELY. SNOW ACCUMULATION AROUND

2 INCHES. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 30S. EAST WINDS UP TO 5 MPH SHIFTING

TO THE NORTHWEST IN THE AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF SNOW 70 PERCENT.

.SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A 20 PERCENT CHANCE OF SNOW.

LOWS AROUND 18. NORTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH.

They have 1-2" for Lebanon.. :lol:

I guess at this point, even that's a winner for this winter!

9z SREF mean is 0.41" liquid (4.9" snow) up here, contrary to the NAM still skirting us with just 0.1" or less.  The op NAM is drier than 19/22 of SREF members, which should be a signal, unless it's an artifact or the SREF members being run at a lower resolution (are they?), in which case I could see them over-smoothing the northern cutoff, resulting in higher totals.

9z SREF mean is 0.41" liquid (4.9" snow) up here, contrary to the NAM still skirting us with just 0.1" or less. The op NAM is drier than 19/22 of SREF members, which should be a signal, unless it's an artifact or the SREF members being run at a lower resolution (are they?), in which case I could see them over-smoothing the northern cutoff, resulting in higher totals.

Though the NAM has come north some the past few runs, it's consistently been on the southern edge of the envelope of operational guidance. I put more weight in the other models in the qpf/snow forecast. The SREF has been run at 16km resolution since 2012, so really not much different than the NAM. The RGEM is run at 10 km resolution and it has shown the fairly sharp cutoff, but it and the GGEM have been consistently farthest north

Edit: re. your next post, 2-3" is a reasonable range for Valpo, pretty close to what I ended up with there.

Archived