Super Snow Sunday

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"CONTINUED WOBBLES

IN LOW POSITIONING AMONGST THE 14.0Z GUIDANCE. JUST A SLIGHT SHIFT W

OR E UP TO THE TIME OF THE STORM CAN MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE THAT CAN

LEAD TO ANGST AND AGONY AMONG FELLOW METEOROLOGISTS.

ITS NOT EASY AND CAN UNDERSTAND EVERYONES FRUSTRATION."

The fact that they added that paragraph tell you all you need to know.

They are scared to death of the public perception.....which is why they are stressing everything to an extreme...ie "category two hurricane", "life threatening".

We often see this type of verbiage with tropical systems. Its all about the wobbles as the COC nears.

Cant go full on board with GFS. BDL with .73 c'mon. No other guidance gets me to .5. No way all the Euro ensemble members are wrong and there is not 1 member that gets me to .5. The Rgem has been the best overall and the corrections Im seeing toward the GFS are not huge and dramatic jumps back this way. 4-6 seems reasonable in my hood.

While that may be true..you don't and can't use ensembles to predict snowfall amounts..and certainly not 12 hours in advance. They are really only useful about 36+hours out

A couple points of note:

1) who cares how much snow anyone gets--no one's going to get an accurate measurement anyway.

2) hoping to max out on the WAA out here.  That's the only way for western areas to verify a warning--which I think we will do.

3) As my generator is hidden beneath the snow, I may actually shovel it out.  Just in case......

4) We picked a helluva time for our new kitchen project.  Upcoming cool temps and breeze with plastic covered holes in the walls where new windows are GOING to be.   On the plus side, we were able to actually insulate that portion of the Pit. 

Hey guys...what happened to Maine... :(

You may get different opinions, but I think Maine is still going to do fine, it's more that recent model trends are looking better for various parts of s NE. Would expect you will get what you were expecting but it won't be as far ahead of other locations as some were expecting earlier.

FWIW best run of the RPM yet for us CT folk and everyone far south. I figure id post this since people have been posting some runs of the RPM. This is using 10:1 ratios as well. Accumulated precip is pretty much .5-1.0 east I91 and .2 to .5 west. At least we can say this model is getting in a its range to be a little more accurate.

I'm thinking the higher totals for CT but Roger Smith, 8-12 W and 12-18 Eastern CT is a bit extreme.

post-12274-0-65901400-1423913816_thumb.j

FWIW best run of the RPM yet for us CT folk and everyone far south. I figure id post this since people have been posting some runs of the RPM. This is using 10:1 ratios as well. Accumulated precip is pretty much .5-1.0 east I91 and .2 to .5 west. At least we can say this model is getting in a its range to be a little more accurate.

I'm thinking the higher totals for CT but Roger Smith, 8-12 W and 12-18 Eastern CT is a bit extreme.

I wonder if that is mostly WAA stuff or some from the coastal ?

I'm thinking the higher totals for CT but Roger Smith, 8-12 W and 12-18 Eastern CT is a bit extreme.

RPM does not use 10-1. It does try to figure out the correct ratio.

I'm thinking the higher totals for CT but Roger Smith, 8-12 W and 12-18 Eastern CT is a bit extreme.

LOL--love my 2-4".

There will definitely be a max with the inv trough.

Where do you see that setting up, Scott? 

Thx.

RPM does not use 10-1. It does try to figure out the correct ratio.

It does not look like it based on the total forecasted precip. Take a look at this image there is a blob of 1.0-1.2 in SE CT exactly where the 10-12" amounts are and around that .8-1.0 exactly where the 8-10" amounts are and .6-.8 where the 6-8" is forecast almost to the T. I could be wrong though but comparing it to the snowfall forecast its nearly identical to 10:1

post-12274-0-30035600-1423915569_thumb.j

Looks like less than 2" falls from the WAA and then when the coastal gets going that's when the rest comes in. So most is from the coast. Those heavy amounts in central and southern CT are from a heavy band that rotates in.

BOX is going with 2-4" with the WAA in a lot of the area I think (that's the call out here I know).  If we can get the higher end there, I'm pretty confident we will get another 2" that we'll never be able to confirm due to wind to verify a warning. 

I'd be surprised if we come up with the high end of 8", but crazier things have happened.  For example I recall a storm a long time ago (3 weeks) in which I was forecasted 24-30" six hours before go time and wound up with 5".  :whistle:   I still rock back and forth huddled under a blanket over that.

It does not look like it based on the total forecasted precip. Take a look at this image there is a blob of 1.0-1.2 in SE CT exactly where the 10-12" amounts are and around that .8-1.0 exactly where the 8-10" amounts are and .6-.8 where the 6-8" is forecast almost to the T. I could be wrong though but comparing it to the snowfall forecast its nearly identical to 10:1

I sit right next to the developer who works on the RPM and in fact asked him yesterday this very question if the model was outputting 10-1, he said no and that they have an algorithm to try and discern a correct ratio. Not saying it's really good, but it's not a straight 10-1.

I sit right next to the developer who works on the RPM and in fact asked him yesterday this very question if the model was outputting 10-1, he said no and that they have an algorithm to try and discern a correct ratio. Not saying it's really good, but it's not a straight 10-1.

Ok, thanks...I wasn't certain of it, like I said I was just going off QPF vs snowfall images. Maybe its thinking mostly a 10:1 event for this then? At least for CT it would appear that way

Archived