Newest Member
    joxey
Super Snow Sunday 2/15-Party Like it's 1717

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z Euro going out of its way to blase both events now too -- 

Interesting. Do we ride it, only to be notified in shorter terms? 

As others don't realize they are noting; these or significant enough morphology discontinuities to be suspect of everything and all guidance at this point. 

About the only thing consistent between the 00z and 12z run of the op. Euro is the fact that there are two deep troughs.  

I like the Euro look...comes in a bit more shallow which actually helps it not dig ESE and miss us. It manages to swing around a little faster.

Shallow (further north trough )was Exactly what i was hoping for given other issues

I mean a hr would work to, but i felt this one slipping and I'll take this over a Jack Clark prodigious wiff

I'm not sure, from what's been posted here so far, what impact -- if any -- from Sunday's threat the Euro has shown.

Well this far out, I'm not so sure I would be happy to be in a bullseye either. The issues still exist regarding downstream ridging and even the ridging out west which is a bit flat, but it's a pretty strong s/w.

Yeah that was a pretty big difference with the handling of the ridge out west being flatter from the 0z run, Just shows that some of these differences will effect what happens down stream and i agree i would not want to be in the jack right now but what it shows this far out i think its in a good spot for now

This has always been a pet peeve of mine. I for one, would be happy to be in the bullseye five days out every single time i could. (If i want to Maximize my % of getting a single hit)

If you had 100 events and you were in the bulls eye for them all, how many would give you warning level snows ? More than if it was east 100x and more if it was (N, S,W) as well. I believe the times people were in bulls-eyes and missed were more MEMORABLE and ("sucked")so they weight that much more heavily than "equal weighting" to all scenarios and then come up with this logic. I think Will would agree with me on this one.

Unless however we expect this to trend west over time

This has always been a pet peeve of mine. I for one, would be happy to be in the bullseye five days out every single time i could.

If you had 100 events and you were in the bulls eye for them all, how many would give you warning level snows ? More than if it was east 100x and more if it was (N, S,W) as well. I believe the times people were in bulls-eyes and missed were more MEMORABLE and ("sucked")so they weight that much more heavily than "equal weighting" to all scenarios and then come up with this logic. I think Will would agree with me on this one.

I would...there's been several events where we were bullseye 120 hours out and it held...1/12/11, 2/8/13 (Euro only), 12/13/07, etc.

But at any rate, I can see where the idea that you don't want to be bullseyed comes from...mostly because it will not happen more often than it happens...but the math would tell you that if the model is missing you east by 100 miles, then you'd get hit even less often than if it was bullseyeing you 120 hours out...even if the bullseye scenario is still like a 40% success rate or something just to throw out an arbitrary number.

I like the Euro look...comes in a bit more shallow which actually helps it not dig ESE and miss us. It manages to swing around a little faster.

The trade off is that it doesn't have the ability to be as large an impacter, right?

Not as sharp.....more like a trong clipper, as opposed to a blizzard-whiff?

The trade off is that it doesn't have the ability to be as large an impacter, right?

Not as sharp.....more like a trong clipper, as opposed to a blizzard-whiff?

Yeah we're talking increasing the chances of 8"+ but decreasing the chances of 20"+...I would gladly trade the lower shot at 20" for a much higher shot at 10", but I know not everyone would agree.

Regardless, still a lot of time on this one.

This has always been a pet peeve of mine. I for one, would be happy to be in the bullseye five days out every single time i could. (If i want to Maximize my % of getting a single hit)

You can always find events that stayed the course, but the point is..usually a climax solution this far out probably has only one way to go. It doesn't mean it goes poof and I like the look of this. Just saying.

Yeah we're talking increasing the chances of 8"+ but decreasing the chances of 20"+...I would gladly trade the lower shot at 20" for a much higher shot at 10", but I know not everyone would agree.

Yea, the larger event seems to be slipping for various reasons already stated. 

Still in a range where the ensembles have good value. I look forward to hearing about them, in detail, for my backyard and the locations I am likely to frequent -- like the Wegs on Route 9 in Chestnut Hill -- promptly upon their release and digestion later this shafternoon.

I didn't mind the overall look of the GEFS at 12z... enough spread to doubt that today's unimpressive operation solutions are locked in.

Still in a range where the ensembles have good value. I look forward to hearing about them, in detail, for my backyard and the locations I am likely to frequent -- like the Wegs on Route 9 in Chestnut Hill -- promptly upon their release and digestion later this shafternoon.

I didn't mind the overall look of the GEFS at 12z... enough spread to doubt that today's unimpressive operation solutions are locked in.

OT but wegman's has great wine prices and selection. Always a pre storm visit.

Well if we go by the rule of Mondays this ones coming.

You can always find events that stayed the course, but the point is..usually a climax solution this far out probably has only one way to go. It doesn't mean it goes poof and I like the look of this. Just saying.

I mean this is OT but that seems like a too "simplified "perspective i.e "only one way to go" .

(Starting from bullseye) It could trend east then come back west . It could shift very slightly (leaving you still crushed) or it could trend further and brush us or even further and miss. But it will be the starting point five days out that gives you the most snow on Average per try. Anyway sorry for OT

You need duration for big events. This doesn't have it.

Yeah I mean at first guess I wouldn't get excited for a big event. You can't rule something larger out for sure being 5 days away, but like Will said...probably better to, and much more likely for cheering a 10" event instead of something much larger. At least the way it looks right now.

Archived