Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upton increased totals back up to 4-6" for you guys down.. Even increased totals up here from >1" to 3-4" lol.. I have yet to see 3-4 flakes since 830am let alone 3-4". Time will tell I guess

Im somewhere between 4 and 5", havent checked yet, been having a snowball fight lol

Nothing tough about it.  This was an appropriate storm to break the pattern with.  We had every type of precip, wind, sideways snow and real cold to finish it off.  So what it wasn't a big accumulation, I think most of us in the area got close to what we actually expected I know I did.  The driveway is sufficiently narrow with 6+ foot banks the whole length and I'm going to need one more oil delivery because it's been so cold.  It's been a good winter.

On to mud season!   :axe:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why these storms with such a confined precipitation field have basically become the new norm in recent years? Maybe the new norm would be an overstatement, but this seems to be a recurring feature with the majority of these snow events in the modern era.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why these storms with such a confined precipitation field have basically become the new norm in recent years? Maybe the new norm would be an overstatement, but this seems to be a recurring feature with the majority of these snow events in the modern era.

We have all thought the same . No matter what type of event it is nw areas always get less precip . Sign of the times ?

We have all thought the same . No matter what type of event it is nw areas always get less precip . Sign of the times ?

For as long as I can remember thats always been the case. The coast always receives more precip. What I have noticed is that the storm tracks have changed significantly. The days of the coast changing to rain are few and far between now. What many are failing to realize though is that the coast isn't the only place averaging above norm snowfall. Most of us up here are 5-10" above normal for the last 12 yrs or so as well. Places such as Monroe, Highland Mills, Harriman in SE Orange County are prob averaging 65"since 2000. 1990-2020 averages should show a nice adjustment upward for a good chunk of the northeast.

For as long as I can remember thats always been the case. The coast always receives more precip. What I have noticed is that the storm tracks have changed significantly. The days of the coast changing to rain are few and far between now. What many are failing to realize though is that the coast isn't the only place averaging above norm snowfall. Most of us up here are 5-10" above normal for the last 12 yrs or so as well. Places such as Monroe, Highland Mills, Harriman in SE Orange County are prob averaging 65"since 2000. 1990-2020 averages should show a nice adjustment upward for a good chunk of the northeast.

Truth be told, I have managed to climb to a season total of 74.4 inches ytd.

biggest storm November 26th/27th with a total of 12.2 inches.

So many small events, it's rather awsome.

Definetely been the trend for the past 5 years.  I am not sure I have had a double digit storm in several years while E (SE, E and NE) of me had had several.  I can't remember the last coastal to track inside the benchmark which is what we need to jackpot.  If there are no concerns with snow going to rain along the coast or on LI than we "inlanders" are typically screwed and that has been the case the past few years.  We have been screwed by storms going to far east, too far south, dry air entrainment, you name it and we find a way to get fringed.  Regardless I have about 20" of glacier that is going to take some time to melt for sure.  Been a good winter and still waiting for the elusive 12+" storm N+W of 78/287.

I received and epic quarter inch from this event here in the Poconos. Cutoff remained south of me near route 80, some parts of the southern Poconos recorded 4-5 inches, while the Lehigh Valley further to the south received near 6". What a sick joke.

Whats your ytd over there james?

Im at 63.4" here

It looks like the warmup mid-month could be quite brief. Temps on the weeklies are somewhat below average for the second half of March and into April... nothing like the cold we've seen, of course. Even if the long-range models are too aggression with the pattern reload, the deeply frozen ground, cold ocean and river temps, and deep snowpack dictate that we'd still need more than "near or slightly below average" to facilitate sustained warm-season activities.

One would expect that below-normal temps and the inherent baroclinicity of March would leave the door open for continued (or resumed) wintry threats. 

Archived