Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In any event, is it time to move on to spring after this? Anyone holding out hopes for one more system? The cupboard looks pretty bare to me.

Bring on spring!  Below freezing nights with warm, calm days and no rain.  This should keep a good crust on the snowpack and help to preserve it through the month.  Last year we were still riding on a good crust right through March and there were still good fields of it on north faces into the beginning of April.  To me this is a perfect spring, great mt bike conditions and perfect grillin' and beer drinkin' situations.

Bring on spring!  Below freezing nights with warm, calm days and no rain.  This should keep a good crust on the snowpack and help to preserve it through the month.  Last year we were still riding on a good crust right through March and there were still good fields of it on north faces into the beginning of April.  To me this is a perfect spring, great mt bike conditions and perfect grillin' and beer drinkin' situations.

I'll raise a glass to that  :drunk:

I was able to remove all the leaves that had been frozen in my rink since early January which is important as the sun is so strong now, and although the opportunities to skate at night are diminishing, the cold nights should allow for some morning skates for the next week or possibly two. 

I'll raise a glass to that  :drunk:

I was able to remove all the leaves that had been frozen in my rink since early January which is important as the sun is so strong now, and although the opportunities to skate at night are diminishing, the cold nights should allow for some morning skates for the next week or possibly two. 

Yeah, being outside a good part of yesterday only accelerated my spring mode, have a few beers in the yard felt great.

Yeah, being outside a good part of yesterday only accelerated my spring mode, have a few beers in the yard felt great.

Definitely getting a little tired of the winter warmers, stouts, and porters. Looking forward to some lighter stuff as the weather warms. Though I do have bottles of Speedway Stout and Prairie Bomb that I need to crack open at some point. 

Definitely getting a little tired of the winter warmers, stouts, and porters. Looking forward to some lighter stuff as the weather warms. Though I do have bottles of Speedway Stout and Prairie Bomb that I need to crack open at some point. 

One of my bosses is up in Vermont skiing and mentioned he may bring me back a maple porter back from up there.  I'm hoping he does, I had a maple porter once and found it tasty.  This is an Irish red ale month for me along with Guinness but the shifting to lighter stuff is very near.  

One of my bosses is up in Vermont skiing and mentioned he may bring me back a maple porter back from up there.  I'm hoping he does, I had a maple porter once and found it tasty.  This is an Irish red ale month for me along with Guinness but the shifting to lighter stuff is very near.  

Vermont has some incredible breweries, and many of them don't distribute outside the state. The Alchemist, Lawson's (which actually is now distributing in CT), Hill Farmstead just to name a few. The usual highest rated beer on beer advocate is Heady Topper which is a double IPA by The Alchemist. If you haven't had it, ask him to bring you a can (if he can find it). Lawson's has a couple of amazing IPA's as well.

I drink the heavier stuff all year. Spring beers suck.

3.9", north of NYC. Still snowing moderately. Didnt expect either, reading the forums the last few days ;)

Showoff. 

I drink the heavier stuff all year. Spring beers suck.

3.9", north of NYC. Still snowing moderately. Didnt expect either, reading the forums the last few days ;)

I'll switch from Newburgh brown ale to their cream ale when I go there.  I'll drink various types of adult beverages though, I'll drink ciders that aren't too sweet, more on the dry side, and I'll drink Twisted Tea and lighter beers when its warm out.  The thought of a Smithwicks after mowing the lawn doesn't really work for me honestly but I could have one with dinner.

Its been close to three hours since a flake has fallen here, I'm calling it, dead on arrival in these parts. 

Vermont has some incredible breweries, and many of them don't distribute outside the state. The Alchemist, Lawson's (which actually is now distributing in CT), Hill Farmstead just to name a few. The usual highest rated beer on beer advocate is Heady Topper which is a double IPA by The Alchemist. If you haven't had it, ask him to bring you a can (if he can find it). Lawson's has a couple of amazing IPA's as well.

Showoff. 

I've heard plenty about Heady Topper but I'm not a hoppy guy, I know, I buck the trend that everyone loves IPA's but its not my thing.  I like the Trout River red ale from Vermont.

Very strange to not even see a WWA posted for here with snow literally on our doorstep and I am expecting 3-6" based on the model runs starting 18z and most recently the 0z GFS which showed over 0.5" here.

We'll see what happens

Lol finally just posted a WWA for 2-4" about 20-30 mins ago...after we probably already hit the 2" (was an inch when I left my house over 3 hours ago)...and now of course under the best radar returns of the storm the snow seems to be stopping

go figure

This has to be a joke right?? lol.. 

Winter Weather AdvisoryURGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
1142 AM EST THU MAR 5 2015

...SNOW AND PLUMMETING TEMPERATURES TODAY...

CTZ005-006-NYZ067-068-052200-
/O.EXA.KOKX.WW.Y.0013.000000T0000Z-150306T0000Z/
NORTHERN FAIRFIELD-NORTHERN NEW HAVEN-ORANGE-PUTNAM-
1142 AM EST THU MAR 5 2015

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM EST THIS
EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEW YORK HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER
ADVISORY FOR ORANGE AND PUTNAM COUNTIES IN NEW YORK AND FOR NORTHERN
FAIRFIELD AND NORTHERN NEW HAVEN COUNTIES...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL
7 PM EST THIS EVENING.

* LOCATIONS...ORANGE AND PUTNAM COUNTIES NEW YORK AND NORTHERN FAIRFIELD
AND NORTHERN NEW HAVEN COUNTIES IN CONNECTICUT.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 4 INCHES.

* TIMING...SNOW...MODERATE AT TIMES THROUGH EARLY THIS AFTERNOON...BEFORE
TAPERING OFF LATER THIS AFTERNOON.

* VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER TO ONE HALF MILE AT TIMES.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 20S.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS DUE TO FALLING
TEMPERATURES AND ROAD ICING...REDUCED VISIBILITIES AND
ACCUMULATING SNOW.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW...SLEET...OR
FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR
SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE
DRIVING.

&&

Archived