• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

Only in this winter would we have the 18z GFS, GFS ENS, and RGEM coming north an rolling out with 6" or more for us within 6 hours of the event while meteorologists are lowering us to an inch or two at the same time...model consensus has never been this erratic in recent years from what I can remember...must be a tough pattern for them to get a hold of

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another 1-3/2-4 deal looks like. I'm glad we're getting a big break after this.

A few inches of fresh snow would be just what the doctor ordered after today's compaction and slushification.

The GFS and HRRR remind me of that convergence zone that granted me a few inches of surprise super-fluff on Feb 12. The HRRR is showing a similar wind field and the GFS likes enhanced QPF over Putnam, Dutchess, and Fairfield. At the very least, we have reason to be hopeful for some mesoscale banding surprises instead of just the tiny, wayward flakes that seemed to be our fate.

I agree with Upton's forecast, I don't know why some people here are jumping on them for being too low. I don't trust the 18z model runs and neither do a bunch of mets apparently. Imo, this is a 2-4 inch snowfall

I think most (myself included) are just pointing out how crazy this winter has been with regards to the lack of model consensus even just 6-12 hours before an event. 

A few inches of fresh snow would be just what the doctor ordered after today's compaction and slushification.

The GFS and HRRR remind me of that convergence zone that granted me a few inches of surprise super-fluff on Feb 12. The HRRR is showing a similar wind field and the GFS likes enhanced QPF over Putnam, Dutchess, and Fairfield. At the very least, we have reason to be hopeful for some mesoscale banding surprises instead of just the tiny, wayward flakes that seemed to be our fate.

Yup, a nice freshener before the melting begins in earnest this weekend. I tell ya, it felt really good out there today with temps near 40. Models truly have struggled this year and I do not know enough to figure that out. As much as I want Spring, I know I will miss the snow eventually. Will enjoy whatever we get tomorrow.

It is hard to miss the party again.

We said that in the other thread and got attacked by allsnow. I don't know how he thinks the nam was just an awesome run for folks north of white plains. Check out the latest hrrr and rap, they are not impressive for nw areas

We said that in the other thread and got attacked by allsnow. I don't know how he thinks the nam was just an awesome run for folks north of white plains. Check out the latest hrrr and rap, they are not impressive for nw areas

The NAM did increase the amounts south of Putnam and Orange counties, but north of there, it really tightened up the gradient, which may mean the models are seeing the strength of the arctic air mass. You should do fine in Rockland.

The NAM did increase the amounts south of Putnam and Orange counties, but north of there, it really tightened up the gradient, which may mean the models are seeing the strength of the arctic air mass. You should do fine in Rockland.

Yeah BX, Animal etc should get a nice 4-6" snowfall

Yet I'm averaging 8" or so above average the last 12 yrs.

It speaks to how much colder and snowier winters have been in the NE in the past several years on avg. In absolute terms with stats, sure, it's been good. But in relative terms synoptically, we've been on the sidelines way too many more times than I would have expected. Missing the coastal rains/ inland snows scenarios that I thought were more common, but seem so rare. The Thanksgiving storm was a nice example of that (sorry coastal folks). I got used to that growing up just west of Boston. It's never a good feeling when places not too far are getting a lot more snow in a given event and we are just on the cusp. Sure, I enjoy what we get, but I also can't help feeling frustrated.

It speaks to how much colder and snowier winters have been in the NE in the past several years on avg. In absolute terms with stats, sure, it's been good. But in relative terms synoptically, we've been on the sidelines way too many more times than I would have expected. Missing the coastal rains/ inland snows scenarios that I thought were more common, but seem so rare. The Thanksgiving storm was a nice example of that (sorry coastal folks). I got used to that growing up just west of Boston. It's never a good feeling when places not too far are getting a lot more snow in a given event and we are just on the cusp. Sure, I enjoy what we get, but I also can't help feeling frustrated.

Yeah coastal regions have fared incredibly well over the last decade meanwhile ALB hasn't had a 20" event since 2002, just missed one during valentines day '07 but nothing even close since. When was the last 20" event in POU?

Yeah coastal regions have fared incredibly well over the last decade meanwhile ALB hasn't had a 20" event since 2002, just missed one during valentines day '07 but nothing even close since. When was the last 20" event in POU?

Last February 13th. Probably my favorite storm since I moved here, maybe that and Valentine's Day '07. Came in 2 parts, something like 8-10" in the morning, then a lull, and then a foot in like 4 hours overnight as a mesolow formed near the region.

Last February 13th. Probably my favorite storm since I moved here, maybe that and Valentine's Day '07. Came in 2 parts, something like 8-10" in the morning, then a lull, and then a foot in like 4 hours overnight as a mesolow formed near the region.

Nice! I forgot how impressive that one was up and down the HV.

Feb_13-14_2014.png

I will say that prior to last February, I don't remember any storms in the previous 10 years or so of me living here that produced a 20" snowfall. I could be forgetting though. Boxing Day we were definitely fringed on to some extent.

When I used to live further upstate (Cortland), I remember a storm in the early 2000's that gave areas just east of Syracuse over 30" of snow. Can't remember exactly when it was though. I can recall driving on the thruway and it felt like we were in a tunnel because the snow was piled so high.

I will say that prior to last February, I don't remember any storms in the previous 10 years or so of me living here that produced a 20" snowfall. I could be forgetting though. Boxing Day we were definitely fringed on to some extent.

When I used to live further upstate (Cortland), I remember a storm in the early 2000's that gave areas just east of Syracuse over 30" of snow. Can't remember exactly when it was though. I can recall driving on the thruway and it felt like we were in a tunnel because the snow was piled so high.

Maybe Christmas '02?

Feb 26th 2010  was a 20+ event in southwestern Duchess County, more west of the river.  Boxing day 2010 was close to 20" at KPOU.  

Coastal folks have definitely had their fair share of large events this last decade.. I would think they are running way above normal in the number of events.   I read somewhere that NYC averages a 12"+ snowfall once every 4 years.. It seems like that average has been crushed over the last decade.  Is this the new normal?  lol

Feb 2013 was just an incredibly dynamic and multifaceted storm. 6"/hr snowfall rates, thundersleet, and a gorgeous satellite presentation after that mesolow formed and began interacting with the TROWAL region.

The mid-Hudson Valley is kind of a tough place for big snows. We're pretty well tucked-in toward the mainland as opposed to southern Jersey, LI, and SNE, so we often miss the death bands in mature nor'easters that like to straddle the Gulf Stream. February 2006 comes to mind... the subsidence from that deform band was just brutal. I think I got like 4" or 5". Boxing Day was also a bit lackluster imby compared to other areas, but that storm was still fun to track and enjoy vicariously through earthlight and company. Then you have the redeveloping clippers whose snows often die out just to our west before going ballistic just to our east. That said, there are times when sitting landlocked in the interior can be a blessing, especially in marginal early- and late-season events like October 2011.

Feb 26th 2010  was a 20+ event in southwestern Duchess County, more west of the river.  Boxing day 2010 was close to 20" at KPOU.  

Coastal folks have definitely had their fair share of large events this last decade.. I would think they are running way above normal in the number of events.   I read somewhere that NYC averages a 12"+ snowfall once every 4 years.. It seems like that average has been crushed over the last decade.  Is this the new normal?  lol

Extreme weather events are definitely the new normal. I didn't realize Boxing Day was so high here. 2/25/10 was pretty much the most painful experience of my weather life. We picked up like 6" of snow in the morning, then changed to rain and stayed rain (occasionally mixed with snow) for nearly the entire storm, while areas less than 15 miles to the south or west picked up 20" or more of snow.  :axe:  I know that's sny's favorite, he always brings it up, much to my dismay!

Archived