joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hear ye, hear ye! I, the seer of seers, prognosticator of prognosticators, do predict with great conviction and certainty: feet and feet. :snowman:

From your lips to the weather gods ears!

So much for the concern for your rink back in Dec lol.. Its in mid winter form right now!

Glad I listened to you guys! The forecast seemed so iffy back in late December/early January. I think most thought it would get colder, but there was concern about a strong or extended January thaw, etc. As it turned out, I have gotten more continuous usage out of the rink this year than any other year. There have also been very few days this year where the rink was unusable, maybe 3-4 at most. These are days when there's warm temperatures or rain/mixed precipitation. Last year, I used the rink from January 23 through March 17, but there were many days last year where it was unusable due to warm temperatures and rain.

I think people forget how many "warm" days we had last winter because the whole "polar vortex" was thrown around so much. For the period from January 1 to March 8, last winter we had 21 days of 40 degrees or above, this year, we had 8 such days. If you include from December 21 (first day of winter), the range narrows a little, but it's still 27 days to 15 days. (poughkeepsie data)

In any event, last year I had several days where it was too warm to skate in March, but there was a cool down the day prior to St. Patty's day, and I was able to skate the following morning. After that, it was done. We'll see what happens this year, but the nighttime temperatures look like they would support at least occasional morning use for the next week or so. 

A couple pics of the Hudson from the Walkway today

Wonderful shots. It's too bad there's not a way to track ice on the Hudson like there is for the Great Lakes. Would be interesting to see how this winter compared to other cold winters.

Well I see water on the Wallkill again, meltwater on top of the ice that is.

I'm starting to see ducks walking and sitting the roadways, pecking at clumps of road salt. Lots of animals are having a rough go of it this season.

It feels like the 60's out there today, driving around with the sunroof open the past two days.

Same here. 50 is the new 70. I'm not sure if others feel this way, but after a couple of warm days, my interest in tracking snowstorms wanes just the slightest. Not too much though!

Same here. 50 is the new 70. I'm not sure if others feel this way, but after a couple of warm days, my interest in tracking snowstorms wanes just the slightest. Not too much though!

I cant lie, usually once we get into March I start looking towards spring.  This year is a little different but the writing is on the wall, the pack will go now sooner or later no matter what.

Was looking at the winter outlook posted by the NWS in October. For the period DJF, Poughkeepsie ended up -3.3 for the period, so they definitely missed the boat on that one. December was +4.6, January was -1.5, and February was -13.

Outlook_map_temp2014F.jpg

2nd year in a row that they really blew it.  Not even close in the northeast.  Only place where they did ok was out west.

Archived