joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upton and Albany are un-impressed for our area... 2-3" a few dots of 3-4, anyone North of orange is at 0" lol... It's an older map so maybe they haven't updated, although PHILLY has increase totals for its forcast area

Albany just updated, though they remain unenthused. Granted, it seems hard to bank on anything more than 2-3" at this point. I'd consider 3" a total win.

The amount of ice on the Hudson for late March is really impressive. If anything, it has increased a little over the past couple of days, at least from where I view it near Poughkeepsie.

On a related note, I was able to get back out skating this morning in my yard. I had skated as late as St. Patty's Day last year, but this year has it beat. Probably another few days of potential too.

The amount of ice on the Hudson for late March is really impressive. If anything, it has increased a little over the past couple of days, at least from where I view it near Poughkeepsie.

On a related note, I was able to get back out skating this morning in my yard. I had skated as late as St. Patty's Day last year, but this year has it beat. Probably another few days of potential too.

The ice on the Wallkill near me melted out over the past week and is now receding after raising several feet.  There was some fresh ice this morning but it won't last this time of year. 

The ice on the Wallkill near me melted out over the past week and is now receding after raising several feet. There was some fresh ice this morning but it won't last this time of year.

Rob I recently moved up into ulster this past year, and I know the Wallkill runs a good stretch, where abouts are you located exactly? My property goes all the way to the river where I am, still a decent amount of ice on the banks

Rob I recently moved up into ulster this past year, and I know the Wallkill runs a good stretch, where abouts are you located exactly? My property goes all the way to the river where I am, still a decent amount of ice on the banks

I'm down near Montgomery Airport, so I'm up stream from you since the Wallkill starts in NJ and flows north.  There are also at least two dams between you and me, one in Montgomery and a second large one in Walden.  These dams are a reason, IMO, that the gage in Gardiner is kinda useless to Orange County.  After Irene and Lee hit, that gage in no way represented the flooding that was going on in Orange County as those dams were holding the water back down this way.

I'm down near Montgomery Airport, so I'm up stream from you since the Wallkill starts in NJ and flows north. There are also at least two dams between you and me, one in Montgomery and a second large one in Walden. These dams are a reason, IMO, that the gage in Gardiner is kinda useless to Orange County. After Irene and Lee hit, that gage in no way represented the flooding that was going on in Orange County as those dams were holding the water back down this way.

Yea luckily the river bank is nowhere near my house, I have about 6.5 acres and it's the edge of my property... How high did it crest during Irene and sandy etc?

Yea luckily the river bank is nowhere near my house, I have about 6.5 acres and it's the edge of my property... How high did it crest during Irene and sandy etc?

I am also high enough that I'm not directly affected by flooding but the flooding in 2011 affected thousands in Orange County and not just folks directly affected by flooding of their property and homes but indirectly by the number of roads closed.  I realized then just how few ways there are to cross the Wallkill as the routes began closing one by one due to the flooding.  We nearly lost all routes to the Orange Regional Medical Center as they came close to losing the last remaining open road in when Lee hit.  That is why the opening of the new bridge over 17 at exit 122 this week was so important, among other reasons, the new alignment won't be affected by flooding like the old alignment of East Main St. was by the Wallkill when it's high.  Irene is number three on the list of crests at Gardiner: http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/river.php?wfo=okx&wfoid=18739&riverid=203263&pt%5B%5D=144682&allpoints=144682&data%5B%5D=crests Lee hit the following week and the Wallkill was even higher in Orange County than after Irene but since the gage is below those two dams I can't tell you exactly what the crest was around here.  Many of the roads closed due to the Wallkill flooding did not reopen until mid September.

Edit: Here is a link to the gage now to give you some perspective along your property: http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=okx&gage=grdn6

I should've mentioned the black dirt region of Orange County too. The Wallkill runs right through that area and I'll save a whole geologic explanation, partly because I'd screw up the explanation but basically its a giant bathtub and the Wallkill is the drain.  This is another reason the flooding lasted so long, all of the flood waters in 'the tub' needed to drain.

Glad you appreciated my ramblings. I've found that the learning never stops if one is open to it as you are.

Thanks! I was really disappointed the other night however, I have NO street lights and utilities are all under ground in my new area, sky's seemed fairly clear and I didn't see any sight of green the sky during in the aurora show

Thought for sure up in the gunks I was in prime spot.. Maybe my timing was off? Stayed outside for about 30 min around midnight

Thanks! I was really disappointed the other night however, I have NO street lights and utilities are all under ground in my new area, sky's seemed fairly clear and I didn't see any sight of green the sky during in the aurora show

Thought for sure up in the gunks I was in prime spot.. Maybe my timing was off? Stayed outside for about 30 min around midnight

I was fighting a cold and didn't have the desire to fight the cold and wind outside to take a look.  I do wonder though how much was visible to the naked eye vs. a long camera exposure.  This is when we should hear from our friend JC, or anyone else who may know.

I was fighting a cold and didn't have the desire to fight the cold and wind outside to take a look. I do wonder though how much was visible to the naked eye vs. a long camera exposure. This is when we should hear from our friend JC, or anyone else who may know.

Yea I've never seen it so I'm always expecting to see it zipping across the sky like a light show, but all those videos you always see are obviously sped up

How much snow does everyone have left? My entire yard is still fully snow covered, except along the driveway/sidewalks etc, with a few inches of snow. Though, by and large, most of the area is just down to piles with mostly grass visible.

About 1/3 of my yard is clear now, the areas under trees mainly on the southern side of my yard.  I have 1" at my stake but when I get home I'm going to measure the various areas of my yard and get the average, as per the guidelines.  I still have some deep areas of my yard by eyeballing it but I'll confirm later today.

About 1/3 of my yard is clear now, the areas under trees mainly on the southern side of my yard.  I have 1" at my stake but when I get home I'm going to measure the various areas of my yard and get the average, as per the guidelines.  I still have some deep areas of my yard by eyeballing it but I'll confirm later today.

Yeah, a lot of my yard is north facing, and the south facing part slopes towards the house and immediately behind it is heavily wooded, so for those two reasons, it's very much protected from the sun. I'll try and get out later and get an average measurement. Looks like we'll add a little bit tomorrow (which will then subsequently be gone by Saturday afternoon!).

How much snow does everyone have left? My entire yard is still fully snow covered, except along the driveway/sidewalks etc, with a few inches of snow. Though, by and large, most of the area is just down to piles with mostly grass visible.

I gots nuttin.

I was fighting a cold and didn't have the desire to fight the cold and wind outside to take a look.  I do wonder though how much was visible to the naked eye vs. a long camera exposure.  This is when we should hear from our friend JC, or anyone else who may know.

At your service!

The answer is: absolutely none. :lol: That was probably the case everywhere south of extreme NNE. Even as far as "camera-only" events go, this week's wasn't particularly special. I had some frames from May 31, 2013 with fairly well-defined pillar and curtain structures in an array of colors, and even then it was all but invisible to the eye.

It's not like you're manufacturing something that's not there when you optimize your camera to pick up faint auroras... the photons are really there and hitting your eye. It's just disappointing for anyone who expects to see the lights in all their glory, and doesn't necessarily see the appeal of pixel-peeping.

Yea I've never seen it so I'm always expecting to see it zipping across the sky like a light show, but all those videos you always see are obviously sped up

That kind of event probably only occurs once every few decades at our latitude. The lights were overhead (or nearly so) in late 2003 (see this shot from near Binghamton), and while that event was probably the pinnacle of any mid-latitude aurora chaser's career, it's still nothing like what you might see in Iceland or Norway.

Even with perfect conditions and a geomagnetic storm so severe that it eliminates the issue of light pollution, the lights would appear more diffuse and less colorful than photos would lead you to believe. Reds and violets are generally very faint to the naked eye, so you're often left with curtains of whiteish-green that gently undulate and oscillate.

On Tuesday, the southern extent of auroral activity was probably at least 400 or 500 miles away, so I was definitely grasping for straws. The potential was there, but the interplanetary magnetic field decoupled from our magnetosphere just in time to produce deep "meh".

About 1/3 of my yard is clear now, the areas under trees mainly on the southern side of my yard. I have 1" at my stake but when I get home I'm going to measure the various areas of my yard and get the average, as per the guidelines. I still have some deep areas of my yard by eyeballing it but I'll confirm later today.

Yeah, that was ambitious, maybe a little less than half of my yard has snow with the greatest depth of 6" on a north facing slope.

Archived