Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z NAM vs 12z NAM..  Changes are minor but you can see the south shift in the precip field on 18z..

Clearly it's on life support. But I agree with Ulster, I think you have to give it until tonight's runs to definitively write it off as anything more than a nuisance for us. Let this system move through and also the disturbance should be onto land in the SW by that point. Can you tell I'm grasping for straws here?  :bag:

Pingers here after a solid dusting.. yet another underperforming event helping to solidify a B winter around these parts.

Would have thought you could have held on longer. I guess the radar is underestimating the CC because ALB is so close to the radar site.

Clearly it's on life support. But I agree with Ulster, I think you have to give it until tonight's runs to definitively write it off as anything more than a nuisance for us. Let this system move through and also the disturbance should be onto land in the SW by that point. Can you tell I'm grasping for straws here?  :bag:

ensembles for both the GFS & Euro were nw of the op. Normally that would be great news but it has meant absolutely nothing this year!

I don't think I'm going to be disappointed with the total accumulation if this keeps up for a few more hours.  I never expected over 3" so that's within reach.  I hate shoveling it but after the cold at the end of the week this stuff should lock up the snowpack and create an awesome crust for riding my fatbike on.  Bring it...

LOL, there must be parts of Green and Columbia in the valley that are at 20" for the year if that's right. No wonder there's no snow weenies that live in that area.

Very little snow in that area due to downsloping....which in turn has also caused property values to drop.

Yeah it is a little cheaper there by a couple hundred a month for an apartment. Maybe it is the snow LOL.

But then again not everyone thinks like us...although if I had more money I would definitely like to live somewhere over 2500' in the Catskills...I think there are some like that in Western Ulster/Delaware area that probably average over 100 a year

But then again not everyone thinks like us...although if I had more money I would definitely like to live somewhere over 2500' in the Catskills...I think there are some like that in Western Ulster/Delaware area that probably average over 100 a year

I was up in the tug hill region this year. Osceola is the actual town I was in. They average over 200 inches of snow a season. There is a house for sale on Osceola road for 79k. It's not too bad of a house. I so badly wanted to buy it, and could not fathom why the house was selling so cheap in an area with such incredible snowfall. However...like you said..the big snow isn't everyones cup of tea I suppose.

I don't think I'm going to be disappointed with the total accumulation if this keeps up for a few more hours.  I never expected over 3" so that's within reach.  I hate shoveling it but after the cold at the end of the week this stuff should lock up the snowpack and create an awesome crust for riding my fatbike on.  Bring it...

This sleet is adding up quick! I guess it counts for something lol. Even though it isn't "snow" it still counts as snow accumulated if I'm not mistaken.

If you're a pure snow enthusiast and have no geographic restrictions, short of moving to a high mountain range, the New York lake effect snow belts are about as close as you can get to heaven. They are some of the snowiest places on earth (below, say, 8000 feet). The 24 hour US snowfall record was actually held by Montague, NY on the Tug Hill in the Lake Ontario snowbelt but was taken away because the spotter did not measure accurately (took too many measurements in 24 hours). I suspect that this past November in Buffalo would have challenged the record as well had people actually been able to keep up with the snowfall. As it was, they approached 70" in less than 24 hours. The record, btw, is held by Silver Lake, CO, elevation 10,000 feet, at 76". My mother lives in a Lake Erie snowbelt (Mayville) that on average receives over 200" of snow a year and basically has snow on the ground from November through April. The Keweenaw Peninsula in the UP of Michigan may even be snowier than the Erie and Ontario snowbelts, but I don't think I'd ever move to the midwest. 

If you're a pure snow enthusiast and have no geographic restrictions, short of moving to a high mountain range, the New York lake effect snow belts are about as close as you can get to heaven. They are some of the snowiest places on earth (below, say, 8000 feet). The 24 hour US snowfall record was actually held by Montague, NY on the Tug Hill in the Lake Ontario snowbelt but was taken away because the spotter did not measure accurately (took too many measurements in 24 hours). I suspect that this past November in Buffalo would have challenged the record as well had people actually been able to keep up with the snowfall. As it was, they approached 70" in less than 24 hours. The record, btw, is held by Silver Lake, CO, elevation 10,000 feet, at 76". My mother lives in a Lake Erie snowbelt (Mayville) that on average receives over 200" of snow a year and basically has snow on the ground from November through April. The Keweenaw Peninsula in the UP of Michigan may even be snowier than the Erie and Ontario snowbelts, but I don't think I'd ever move to the midwest.

Yes. Awesome. With 200+ yearly inches of snow, the only thing I am not understanding is why you are not living with your mother :)

Yes. Awesome. With 200+ yearly inches of snow, the only thing I am not understanding is why you are not living with your mother :)

I don't think I like snow THAT much, lol. I grew up in Buffalo, and while I saw my fair share of crazy storms, I have pretty much missed every historic storm they have had over the past 15 years. The 8 feet of snow in 1 week in 2001, the devastating October snowstorm in 2006, the two blizzards in one year last winter (first time that ever happened), and, of course, the 70"+ this past November (the house I grew up in was basically ground zero for that one). It sucks to miss such historic storms, but if anything, it's helped take the sting out of missing out on snow here. 

And on a non-winter note, we were visiting my mother in July of 2010 and on the day we left, a tornado tore through her town, basically two blocks away from where she lives. Thankfully it didn't do much damage in Mayville itself and no one was hurt, but it did rip apart some condos on the other side of Lake Chautauqua. Got home and she told me a tornado hit and I was so pissed that we left, lol, the life we lead as weather enthusiasts.

There was close to 1.5" of sleet before the change to rain about 40 minutes ago.  I went outside to scrape the sleet off in case it did change and it happened while I was outside.  Now it's raining the hardest it has since October and everything is turning to a block of ice.  

Wow, sounds like you're getting the full experience down there. Light sleet/rain mix here... up to .5" of ice pellets.

Archived