joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're all very similar initially however the GFS stalls the low out and drives it South as if there's some major confluence.. GFS and euro are overdoing the strength of the confluence imo.. That's my call..

A blend between the GFS/NAM would still give us a decent snowfall. Hopefully by 12z tomorrow we get a better idea of which way to lean

The GEM looks pretty similar to 12z, perhaps nudged a bit NW. Looks like 3-6" or so for the region (and 2-3" for tomorrow).

Taking a look at the whole run now, the GGEM came in juicier and further north with the heavier precip, more expansive precip shield as well.... The trend is our friend, GFS is trending South... It's out to lunch imo

Taking a look at the whole run now, the GGEM came in juicier and further north with the heavier precip, more expansive precip shield as well.... The trend is our friend, GFS is trending South... It's out to lunch imo

The GFS was basically identical to it's last run, with the exception of being a little drier in southern NJ and Delaware. I'll be interested to see what the UKMET shows, as it's been pretty consistent with placing the heaviest snows somewhere between here and the city for the past few model runs (plus I feel it's been one of the better models this winter). 

I'm still leaning toward wagons south with the Thursday jazz. North of 84 we can't get a traditional overrunning event to break in our favor, let alone one reliant on zany anafrontal dynamics... lol.

That's the smart forecast at this point, I'd love to jump on the eduggs wagon but need some more global model support for that. An x-section across the front on the 00z NAM is pretty cool to look at.. shows the rearward sloping ascent along the frontal zone (omega, shaded) associated with the ageostrophic circulation (white arrows). 

I'm still leaning toward wagons south with the Thursday jazz. North of 84 we can't get a traditional overrunning event to break in our favor, let alone one reliant on zany anafrontal dynamics... lol.

That's the smart forecast at this point, I'd love to jump on the eduggs wagon but need some more global model support for that. An x-section across the front on the 00z NAM is pretty cool to look at.. shows the rearward sloping ascent along the frontal zone (omega, shaded) associated with the ageostrophic circulation (white arrows). 

You guys think even a 3-6" deal is out of the question? Seems like what the models are converging on (aside from the NAM).

You guys think even a 3-6" deal is out of the question? Seems like what the models are converging on (aside from the NAM).

Not out of the question at all, I'd just lean toward a baroclinic axis centered slightly further southeast than modeled with a bit less precipitation being thrown back over the front. Basically I'd lean toward the GFS right now.

Not out of the question at all, I'd just lean toward a baroclinic axis centered slightly further southeast than modeled with a bit less precipitation being thrown back over the front.

I'd just like to close out the season with one storm where I don't have to claw my way to more than 3-4", make it happen ENY!  :sled:

Just as an aside, as per the GFS, Wednesday may very well be the warmest day until the middle of the month. After that, maybe we can break out the shorts and t-shirts for a few days just to keep the spring fetish people happy.  :sun:

I'd just like to close out the season with one storm where I don't have to claw my way to more than 3-4", make it happen ENY!  :sled:

Just as an aside, as per the GFS, Wednesday may very well be the warmest day until the middle of the month. After that, maybe we can break out the shorts and t-shirts for a few days just to keep the spring fetish people happy.  :sun:

You and me both, the things I'd do to see an 18" event this month..  :devilsmiley:

You and me both, the things I'd do to see an 18" event this month..  :devilsmiley:

Ha! That would certainly make it an A+ season. It's amazing to me that a couple hundred miles away, they got something like 70-80" of snow from 4 storms and meanwhile we've just about been nickel and dimed to death. It wasn't really a big deal to me, but this near continual parade of storms that fall short of expectations definitely is taking it's toll. Hopefully we get a nice surprise at some point before the season comes to an end. I will say it's better than last year, when we had a 2 week blitz of snow that abruptly ended on 2/18 and we were basically done for the season. 

Wow, great visualization. Is that a publicly available product?

I hate to anchor myself to a range at this point. ENY's analysis makes sense to me, and my gut tells me that tomorrow night be the more substantial of the two snowfalls imby. Still time for further adjustments.

Ha! That would certainly make it an A+ season. It's amazing to me that a couple hundred miles away, they got something like 70-80" of snow from 4 storms and meanwhile we've just about been nickel and dimed to death. It wasn't really a big deal to me, but this near continual parade of storms that fall short of expectations definitely is taking it's toll. Hopefully we get a nice surprise at some point before the season comes to an end. I will say it's better than last year, when we had a 2 week blitz of snow that abruptly ended on 2/18 and we were basically done for the season. 

Yeah, I'm amazed by the persistence of the synoptic pattern across the eastern half of north america since mid January. Could make the climatology argument that systems are gonna start coming north in March, but I have a feeling the rich will get richer (or we'll all get torched) lol.

Wow, great visualization. Is that a publicly available product?

I hate to anchor myself to a range at this point. ENY's analysis makes sense to me, and my gut tells me that tomorrow night be the more substantial of the two snowfalls imby. Still time for further adjustments.

It's actually from the AmWx model center, nice little feature. 

Archived