joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 1st-2nd Winter Event

ChescoWx

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to bed after the Euro and assumed I'd wake up to many of the watches being dropped and much lower snowfall forecasts, especially for Central Jersey.  Wrong.  All the same counties are now under winter storm warnings, including Middlesex, where my snow fall forecast was actually increased a bit - although the gradient is even steeper, from 1=2" in the southern edge of the county to 6-8" in the northern quarter of the county (N of 287, which is east - west in our area), where I live.  That's a very steep gradient over about 30 miles.  Here's the relevant portion of the AFD and the latest map:

THE PRECIPITATION TYPE FORECAST IS MAINLY DERIVED
FROM THE 00Z NAM. THE 00Z GFS LOOKED TO HAVE TO INTENSE OF A LOW
PRESSURE SYSTEM WHICH IN TURN ALLOWS FOR MORE WARM AIR ADVECTION.
THE ECMWF IS STILL ON THE COOLER END OF THE SPECTRUM WITH THE NAM IN
BETWEEN THESE SOLUTIONS. THE SREF AND WPC QPF FORECAST WAS USED AS
WELL WITH GOOD MODEL AGREEMENT ON QPF IN THIS PERIOD. THIS RESULTS
IN ADDITIONAL SNOW AND ICE ACCUMULATIONS FOR NORTHERN PARTS OF THE
CWA IN THIS PERIOD.

StormTotalSnowRange.png

Latest Wxsim with 6z GFS/NAM data (total precip 1.50" with 1.17" falling as some form of frozen)

Here is the rundown

Some flurries late PM with light snow by 630pm temp 29.9

10pm Light snow temp 27.2 (0.5" snow)

1am Moderate Snow temp 26.9 (1.2" snow)

4am Heavy Snow temp 28.0 (4.5" snow/sleet) showed some mixing with IP between 3 and 4am

530 am mix of IP/ZR 28.7 with ZR/IP continuing thru 930am before temps rise just above freezing (0.56" w.e. during this time)

Light rain between 930a-2pm with another 0.33" of liquid falling

Berks is under a Winter Storm Warning and usually hangs on to the cold a bit longer. More frozen precip than rain I would think..

Colin's latest: 2-4" followed by heavy rain.. For ABE.

Lmao

Sent from my iPhone

Well, I'd bump it up an inch or two and slip (pun very much intended) about .1-.25" of icing in there, but yeah, I think ABE does go to plain rain for a time at this point.  I'm also not super-confident about the amont of icing, because all along, that CAD signature has been very weak; I actually didn't even notice it until a day or two ago.

How is everyone feeling about the morning commute? It looks like we know what the end result of the storm will be, but it is still a fun challenge to predict road conditions at 6a from Philly north. When the bad icing happened 2 weeks ago, we had an extended run of cold, like the past few days here. Although temps are warming above 32, I would think road and sidewalk, railings, etc are below 32 for a while tomorrow after the surface temp warms above. 1-3" followed by sleet and zr, even if its plain rain at 6-7a could cause major travel issues along the route 1 corridor. Thoughts?

The 4KM NAM never gets ABE over 0.5C at the surface tomorrow morning after about 3-4" of snow.  That's cutting it awfully close as far as pushing over to plain rain is concerned.  Yes, heavy rain + latent heat release of freezing will probably soften and slush things up, but I still wouldn't want to be on the roads up here tomorrow morning.

The 4KM NAM never gets ABE over 0.5C at the surface tomorrow morning after about 3-4" of snow.  That's cutting it awfully close as far as pushing over to plain rain is concerned.  Yes, heavy rain + latent heat release of freezing will probably soften and slush things up, but I still wouldn't want to be on the roads up here tomorrow morning.

Any tips for the super bowl crowd traveling on what time we are looking at for road conditions to deteriorate? I am having a difficult time trying to estimate if we are talking 5pm or 7pm or even later.

I wouldn't point to the temperatures being in the 30's today as a significant factor as to how the storm turns out, it was always forecasted, the dewpoints are still pretty low, etc.   If the track and intensity of the storm was different, if the blocking was better, the high a little stronger, that is what is leading to a wet result.

How is everyone feeling about the morning commute? It looks like we know what the end result of the storm will be, but it is still a fun challenge to predict road conditions at 6a from Philly north. When the bad icing happened 2 weeks ago, we had an extended run of cold, like the past few days here. Although temps are warming above 32, I would think road and sidewalk, railings, etc are below 32 for a while tomorrow after the surface temp warms above. 1-3" followed by sleet and zr, even if its plain rain at 6-7a could cause major travel issues along the route 1 corridor. Thoughts?

This. Especially with the models trying to have some back end changeover back to frozen, Monday morning is going to be hellish north of the turnpike for most areas, IMO.

i still have a feeling that the TTN to PHL ends up with a little more snow on the front end than currently being depicted, something in the neighborhood of 2-3

inches if we can get under some good bands early on.

Nada I'm going trace to .08" at the airport it just doesn't want to snow there this year definitely not over an inch off a southeast flow of warming.

Nada I'm going trace to .08" at the airport it just doesn't want to snow there this year definitely not over an inch off a southeast flow of warming.

I never concern myself with the idea of it not wanting to snow in a certain place.  Now if you think the warming wins out sooner, certainly you have plenty of support for that. 

I never concern myself with the idea of it not wanting to snow in a certain place.  Now if you think the warming wins out sooner, certainly you have plenty of support for that. 

For Philly/TTN/SMQ it's all about surface track. It is going to warm aloft, that is set in stone with upper level trough axes passing up near the NY/PA border. But if the surface low tracks overhead or just south of Philly, we will see a shorter period of time of winds with a southerly component, and less WAA at the surface consequentially. North of Philly path- plain rain. South of Philly- more ZR. That's the way I see it at least.

Any tips for the super bowl crowd traveling on what time we are looking at for road conditions to deteriorate? I am having a difficult time trying to estimate if we are talking 5pm or 7pm or even later.

Seems like the real goods don't show up until after 00Z.  Anything earlier would be lighter in nature.  But you know how these things go.  Probably best to watch radar and match it up with ground obs to see where the real leading edge is.

Archived