joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 1st-2nd Winter Event

ChescoWx

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like the real goods don't show up until after 00Z.  Anything earlier would be lighter in nature.  But you know how these things go.  Probably best to watch radar and match it up with ground obs to see where the real leading edge is.

Sounds good radar and ground obs it will be.

Latest Wxsim with 12z for NW Chesco - small increase in thump snow....slightly quicker change to plain rain

Overall 1.56" of precip with 1.27" falling with temps below freezing

Flurries all afternoon today

Steadier light snow by 7pm temp 29.8

1230am Heavy Snow temp 27.1 (1.0")

430am Snow mixing with ZR temp 29.6 (7.0" on snow/IP)

430a-830a - 0.48" of ZR

temps rise above freezing after 830am with another 0.29" of rain before ending by 130pm

Anthony, although I don't know exactly where you are, and believe it or not I don't know what the boundaries of the LHV are, SEPA is running out of room to wetbulb. Dews are creeping past the mid20's both SW and SE of Philly, and temperatures haven't leveled off. WAA doing it's dirty work.

South side of lehigh is about 200',

North end about 1000'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest Wxsim with 12z for NW Chesco - small increase in thump snow....slightly quicker change to plain rain

Overall 1.56" of precip with 1.27" falling with temps below freezing

Flurries all afternoon today

Steadier light snow by 7pm temp 29.8

1230am Heavy Snow temp 27.1 (1.0")

430am Snow mixing with ZR temp 29.6 (7.0" on snow/IP)

430a-830a - 0.48" of ZR

temps rise above freezing after 830am with another 0.29" of rain before ending by 130pm

Think this is the best forecast for e. Pa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anthony, although I don't know exactly where you are, and believe it or not I don't know what the boundaries of the LHV are, SEPA is running out of room to wetbulb. Dews are creeping past the mid20's both SW and SE of Philly, and temperatures haven't leveled off. WAA doing it's dirty work.

at PNE, we are 39/21 so still room here.   Just a question of how fast we can get this precip in here.   The HRRR (which i know is still a little out of its range) looks like some snow to start in PHL

the trend has been for a later start time.  not ez to get precip in here with a west wind.

main precip might not start till 9pm or later.  (southern areas) 

yeah, if so that is going to hurt the front end thump for sure.  Euro shows 2-3 for philly, but i think some of that is backend.

Mt. Holly still has the same warnings/advisories up, despite cutting snowfall a fair amount.  And now they have discrepancies, as the point and click for my area (Edison) shows 3-5" snow overnight and 1-3" on the backend, but has us in the 3-4" swath on the snowfall map and my hourly graphic only has ~3" overnight and 0.5" on the back end.  The graphic also shows temps above 32F from 4 am to 10 am with almost an inch of rain falling.  That would certainly help clear up any roads, so I'm surprised the warnings continue past 5 am and aren't just advisories until then.  The warning does mention 0.1-0.25" of freezing rain possible, but the graphic doesn't show it and with temps above freezing, not sure why it's an issue, unless it's later in the morning as temps drop.  Hard to plan...

Mt. Holly still has the same warnings/advisories up, despite cutting snowfall a fair amount.  And now they have discrepancies, as the point and click for my area (Edison) shows 3-5" snow overnight and 1-3" on the backend, but has us in the 3-4" swath on the snowfall map and my hourly graphic only has ~3" overnight and 0.5" on the back end.  The graphic also shows temps above 32F from 4 am to 10 am with almost an inch of rain falling.  That would certainly help clear up any roads, so I'm surprised the warnings continue past 5 am and aren't just advisories until then.  The warning does mention 0.1-0.25" of freezing rain possible, but the graphic doesn't show it and with temps above freezing, not sure why it's an issue, unless it's later in the morning as temps drop.  Hard to plan...

I think they did a good job, considering the great uncertainty with the CAD and precipitation types.  The layers upstairs are gonna be wacky, and you might not even go above freezing if track is just 50 miles more south.  

If you read the AFD, it gives you reasoning why we did what we did. The point and click is not always going to match up with the warning/advisory text product since the latter is a grouping usually of multiple counties. This is a mess of a system/forecast, thus did not change the warnings at this point despite cutting back the snow amounts. It may be more for impact as opposed to amounts for some areas, but overall I had lowered confidence with the forecast issued this afternoon. The evening and overnight shifts will have another look.

Archived