• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 1st-2nd Winter Event

ChescoWx

How hard is it for PHL to get [significant] snow in a -PNA/+AO/+NAO environment?  I'm curious what the largest snowfall is in an environment like that.  I know PDII was during a +NAO phase, but what were the other phases at that time?

PDII was an archimbault event i believe (switch from negative to positive phase where often times a big snow can occur).   

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with this but the models have shown this before and at the Airport winds up getting less than an inch go just 13 miles west where I am at and we are the ones that get your 2-3".. hence...

Media has like 7" total on the year and the Airport is struggling to get to 3" .... That 7-13 miles has made a huge difference just shows you how bad its been from the City South and East for this Winter... clearly a snow drought.

yeah, sometimes it does work the other way, i think the airport did better than most other locations last year.  This year with the lack of blocking the NW areas are going to d a little better.    With that being said, im still pretty confident that PHL gets over an inch with this one.

Looks like a WSW went up for Upper Bucks/Western Mont County:

Areas Affected:
Upper Bucks - Western Montgomery

Updated: Sat 2:58 pm Urgency: Future Expires: Mon 1:00 pm Severity:  Moderate

Details: ...A SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM IS POSSIBLE LATE SUNDAY AND MONDAY...
...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY EVENING THROUGH
MONDAY AFTERNOON...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WATCH, WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY EVENING THROUGH MONDAY
AFTERNOON.
* HAZARD TYPES... SNOW, SLEET AND SOME FREEZING RAIN.
* ACCUMULATIONS...5 TO 9 INCHES OF SNOW, AND UP TO ONE TENTH OF AN
INCH OF ICE POSSIBLE
* TIMING... SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD THE REGION SUNDAY EVENING AND
SHOULD BECOME MODERATE TO HEAVY AT TIMES OVERNIGHT SUNDAY INTO
MONDAY MORNING. THE SNOW SHOULD MIX WITH OR CHANGE TO SLEET AND
SOME FREEZING RAIN FOR A TIME MONDAY MORNING.
* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY, WITH THE
POTENTIAL FOR A SIGNIFICANT IMPACT ON THE MONDAY MORNING
COMMUTE.
* WINDS...EAST 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH.
* TEMPERATURES...NEAR 30 DEGREES SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY MORNING,
THEN DROPPING THROUGH THE 20S AND INTO THE TEENS MONDAY
AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

what snow lol, there was never enough here to be a flooding issue to begin with.  i actually got more snow from the squalls yesterday than the storm

Enough here to cause problems. Never really mentioned down to Philly, but whatever. What is left - snow, sleet, rain ponding will freeze like a brick shortly after the storm passes. So if you don't clean up the slop, it'll be there a while.

NAM is pretty much worst case scenario for any real snowfall for a lot of the reason, ice may be a big problem the farther you go N and W.  With the WAA being so weak, we lose the front end thump and it warms up by the time the real precip arises.   At this point, i think it is fair to say trends are not in our favor for a significant snow event. 

Nam is unpossible

No CAD? From our hires guidance? Even the cras is showing the CAD signature. While not strong its there. The Nam has the opposite and shows nothing of the sort. Chances are it is wrong.

it is the delay in the onset of the precip that is lessening the CAD signature.

Yup, you can't discount the nam just because you don't like its solution. It's definitely possible and it has nailed this storm. May be ahead of the game again.

It hasn't nailed anything til it happens.  That said, the Euro seems to again be the last to see the light.  If this storm is like last one, we can expect a random couple runs of the NAM to have some wacky southward cold push tomorrow and then suddenly reverse back to warm as the storm begins :P

Archived