joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 1st-2nd Winter Event

ChescoWx

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ralph, do you think this signals at least the N trend may have stopped? I mean ice is worse than snow but NAM was pretty rainy last run.

We will have to see what the rest of 12z says. Cant base it off of 1 model. The SREFS were north and I thought the NAM would follow. This could be a good trend beginning or just a blip. We will know soon enough.

Initially this run may have provided some hope the low would track south a bit, but not. Really seeing how bad we needed NAO to be in the negative phase.. Just checking the initial conditions of AO and NAO both is positive phase. Just looking at some current observations, but that is terrible if you want snow..probably explains why it's hard to get the big snows with those type of signals... You know what shows up on this run. Is high pressure off the Southeast US. So it looks like it keeps the low from tracking the south.

So on this run, we freeze today only to go above freezing for the next storm with not much snow to speak of. Just brutal and even worse further south you go not much snow.

Just another thought if and when NAO truly goes negative, then I think things could change in our favor. I think the latest ensembles are starting g to show that. So maybe after Feb 14th things could get interesting.. Anyway, just sharing my thoughts with everyone here..

Well it's the first model run for 12z, so let's see how this plays out..

We will have to see what the rest of 12z says. Cant base it off of 1 model. The SREFS were north and I thought the NAM would follow. This could be a good trend beginning or just a blip. We will know soon enough.

Agreed about the minor south trend and the wait and see. Nice to see though. Surface temps are a bit colder, and if you look at the northern edge of the total precipitation band it moved south by about 40-50 miles, which to my novice eye indicates maybe more of a push south of cold air. Also the slp is a hair south, and a bit weaker to the west of us which is good given it's position.

Just one run but the first one in a while that has some positive developments for this area so in that sense it was encouraging. At the least it could indicate the northern trend is close to being done. Maybe, lol.

freezing rain / sleet will probably be the primary precip types in central and southern NJ.  

it's going to be a battle to get above freezing...even in southern NJ.  with brutal cold high pressure like this.  I've seen many times where the 10m temps bust in a setup like this.  (duel cold highs funneling in)  

And i'm calling for the models to trend slightly more south for tonight and tomorrow morning's runs.  

freezing rain / sleet will probably be the primary precip types in central and southern NJ.  

it's going to be a battle to get above freezing...even in southern NJ.  with brutal cold high pressure like this.  I've seen many times where the 10m temps bust in a setup like this.  (duel cold highs funneling in)

Excellent point brought up here, Given how cold today is, that's something to definitely watch for this storm coming in.

Are you driving Monday (truck)? Perfect day to take off if possible? (Probably not how it works w/your line of work) Watch the Superbowl...some beers and sleep in Monday and let this mess go by.

Nope. I'm off. Switching jobs. I started with a new company and they gave me a 900,000 mile beast that the ripped seats were fixed with electrical tape, had an oil and diesel leak, and worst of all had a heater that couldn't keep up with the cold once the sun went down. Screw them. The company I'm going with now has 2014 and 2015 Volvos, but I won't start until Wednesday at the earliest.

Initially this run may have provided some hope the low would track south a bit, but not. Really seeing how bad we needed NAO to be in the negative phase.. Just checking the initial conditions of AO and NAO both is positive phase. Just looking at some current observations, but that is terrible if you want snow..probably explains why it's hard to get the big snows with those type of signals... You know what shows up on this run. Is high pressure off the Southeast US. So it looks like it keeps the low from tracking the south.

So on this run, we freeze today only to go above freezing for the next storm with not much snow to speak of. Just brutal and even worse further south you go not much snow.

Just another thought if and when NAO truly goes negative, then I think things could change in our favor. I think the latest ensembles are starting g to show that. So maybe after Feb 14th things could get interesting.. Anyway, just sharing my thoughts with everyone here..

Hmmm I have been saying this since Late December but only to be dismissed.... Now it does snow with a +NAO but the current pattern for THIS winter we were coming into we need a -NAO.

Still though you can lock in the cold air at the surface to set up a brutal ice storm just north and west of the Philadelphia area after all we now do have cold grounds again.  Now the February sun is a bit stronger so things can warm up quicker especially as we get later and later in the month but I do not think that will have much impact when your current temperatures are running 12-17

Excellent point brought up here, Given how cold today is, that's something to definitely watch for this storm coming in.

Thanks.   great points in yours as well - 

Archived