joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fabulous February Arctic Outbreak

DaculaWeather

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My experience with clippers bringing this type of cold is that they jog north and under do amounts, even in the valley. In 1985, we had clippers just repetitively hammer TRI along an Arctic front. FWIW, the HIRES does look dry but a smoothed map may be more accurate. Usually SE KY grabs Kingsport's moisture, but I bet JC gets 2+". These deals always have surprises.

That's with a 10:1 ratio. This will be closer to 20:1. So essentially double those amounts and there will be areas of heavier snow if you get under a squall.

That's with a 10:1 ratio. This will be closer to 20:1. So essentially double those amounts and there will be areas of heavier snow if you get under a squall.

I usually get a standard dusting from most clippers in my neck of the woods, I'm wondering with the cold and high ratios, I might be able to double that to a half inch!  An inch for me would be a clipper blizzard, though I have had an inch from clippers before when I've gotten under a strong band, and i really get plateau shadow, being i'm like 7 or 8 miles east of the plateau as the crow flies.

I usually get a standard dusting from most clippers in my neck of the woods, I'm wondering with the cold and high ratios, I might be able to double that to a half inch!  An inch for me would be a clipper blizzard, though I have had an inch from clippers before when I've gotten under a strong band, and i really get plateau shadow, being i'm like 7 or 8 miles east of the plateau as the crow flies.

It's weird and maybe I'm just remembering the clippers that Carver references, but when Margie Ison used to say a clipper was coming, I could pencil in 2-4 inches, sometimes more. The most I've ever gotten from a clipper was 9 inches but that included upslope.

Are u thinking mostly ice? I think a quick thump of snow followed by ice. I bet the Euro is too fast at warming the lower levels and not fast enough at the upper levels of the atmosphere.

Yes that seems reasonable, especially the initial snow up your way Friday night. I could see ice holding onto the Tri Cities through much of Saturday before finally going rain Saturday night.

As for the day 8-9 discussion, looks like models are struggling with a southern stream system next Wed/Thu. Solutions vary from Deep South snow to Mid South rain. One has to lean toward the southern solutions trending north. A cynic could forecast rain in the Valley, but it is too far out except for Chattanooga.

Yes that seems reasonable, especially the initial snow up your way Friday night. I could see ice holding onto the Tri Cities through much of Saturday before finally going rain Saturday night.

As for the day 8-9 discussion, looks like models are struggling with a southern stream system next Wed/Thu. Solutions vary from Deep South snow to Mid South rain. One has to lean toward the southern solutions trending north. A cynic could forecast rain in the Valley, but it is too far out except for Chattanooga.

Next week...the 12z Euro/GFS look cold with maybe a couple of events sliding through. But right, still a ways out. I know you know this, but once a cold pattern breaks down a big storm will often end it. I wonder if that happens somewhere on the East coast. Of course both models could be too quick in breaking the cold pattern.

Maybe someone else can explain these features to me.  The red circle, is quite obviously our clipper (looks Juicy), is the purple circle just the back side of our trough, and the green circle left over low level gulf moisture that appears to be advecting NE into the dry air.  

Could these 3 features interact for a stronger clipper?  Seems a lot of moisture all around the region.

post-11228-0-12860300-1424203506_thumb.j

Maybe someone else can explain these features to me.  The red circle, is quite obviously our clipper (looks Juicy), is the purple circle just the back side of our trough, and the green circle left over low level gulf moisture that appears to be advecting NE into the dry air.  

Could these 3 features interact for a stronger clipper?  Seems a lot of moisture all around the region.

weak short wave

Party on the Great Plans! Manhattan KS reported heavy snow last hour. Kansas wave is the main one, forecast to slide through Kentucky to Virginia. Little lobe farther south may shear out slightly, but NAM has a weak reflection at 700/500 mb going all the way to the Carolinas. NAM already pushed up qpf slightly from KY through WV/VA into NC, so I think it sees the features. NAM also improves 850 mb over Mid South to Carolinas. Instead of neutral or CAA, now some 850 stream lines are very slightly WAA over the region. Still better KY/VA. That southern lobe is the only hope for Tennessee; otherwise, northern wave is just that - north of Tenn. Kentucky, WV/VA, and North Carolina high country may over achieve.

lol... I see what you did there.

It's sunny here. Has been for a while.

The cloud deck has thinned at times allowing the sunlight to increase, but it hasn't broken up enough to see blue. I was hoping for a little sunshine before dark. Gloomy grey with light flurries right now.

The Euro control shows the "potential" for next week nicely and the euro mean just continues to grow, pretty much through the end of the run.  I have never seen so many crazy runs of the euro control and individual eps members.  The pattern looks to be "ripe" next week, but just because it's ripe doesn't mean we score.  Ask our Chattanooga friends about that.

Party on the Great Plans! Manhattan KS reported heavy snow last hour. Kansas wave is the main one, forecast to slide through Kentucky to Virginia. Little lobe farther south may shear out slightly, but NAM has a weak reflection at 700/500 mb going all the way to the Carolinas. NAM already pushed up qpf slightly from KY through WV/VA into NC, so I think it sees the features. NAM also improves 850 mb over Mid South to Carolinas. Instead of neutral or CAA, now some 850 stream lines are very slightly WAA over the region. Still better KY/VA. That southern lobe is the only hope for Tennessee; otherwise, northern wave is just that - north of Tenn. Kentucky, WV/VA, and North Carolina high country may over achieve.

Thank you jeff.  Seemed awfully active out that way than the standard clipper.  

MRX just issued WWA for all of east TN for the coming clipper, but I guess also because of the winds coming that could take out weak ice coated trees...  I'm not looking forward to more trees down and more power outages...

...LIGHT SNOWFALL EXPECTED ACROSS THE REGION WEDNESDAY...WITH
DANGEROUSLY COLD ARCTIC TO FOLLOW WEDNESDAY NIGHT...

.AN ARCTIC FRONT WILL BRING VERY COLD AIR INTO THE REGION ON
WEDNESDAY...ALONG WITH SOME WIDESPREAD SNOW SHOWERS TO THE ENTIRE
TENNESSEE VALLEY AND SOUTHERN APPALACHIAN REGION. ACCUMULATIONS
WILL BE LIGHT IN THE VALLEY...AND GENERALLY AROUND 1 INCH IN MOST
LOCATIONS. HOWEVER...THE STILL ICY ROAD CONDITIONS...COMBINED WITH
THIS LIGHT SNOW COULD RESULT IN CONTINUED DANGEROUS TRAVEL
CONDITIONS ON UNTREATED ROADS. ADDITIONALLY...GUSTY NORTHWEST WINDS
COULD STRESS ICE COATED TREES...POSSIBLY RESULTING IN MORE
DAMAGE...OR POWER OUTAGES.

ADDITIONAL HEAVIER SNOWFALL IS EXPECTED ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN
OF SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA AND THE EAST TENNESSEE AND NORTH CAROLINA
MOUNTAINS...WHERE AMOUNTS OF 1 TO 4 INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE...
ESPECIALLY ALONG THE HIGHEST TERRAIN. THEN THURSDAY NIGHT...THE
BITTER COLD AIR AND STILL BREEZY WINDS WILL LEAD TO DANGEROUSLY LOW
AND LIFE THREATENING WIND CHILLS OVER THE MOUNTAINS...PLATEAU AND
NORTHERN VALLEY.

NCZ060-061-TNZ018-041-043-045-047-072-074-087-102-VAZ001-002-005-
006-008-181200-
/O.NEW.KMRX.WW.Y.0008.150218T1200Z-150219T1200Z/
/O.NEW.KMRX.WC.A.0002.150219T0000Z-150219T1500Z/
CHEROKEE-CLAY-JOHNSON-COCKE SMOKY MOUNTAINS-SOUTHEAST GREENE-
UNICOI-SOUTHEAST CARTER-BLOUNT SMOKY MOUNTAINS-
SEVIER SMOKY MOUNTAINS-SOUTHEAST MONROE-EAST POLK-LEE-WISE-SCOTT-
RUSSELL-WASHINGTON-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MURPHY...HAYESVILLE...MOUNTAIN CITY...
COSBY...CEDAR CREEK...ERWIN...ROAN MOUNTAIN...CADES COVE...
GATLINBURG...COKER CREEK...DUCKTOWN...JONESVILLE...WISE...
NORTON...GATE CITY...LEBANON...ABINGDON
327 PM EST TUE FEB 17 2015

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM WEDNESDAY TO 7 AM
EST THURSDAY...
...WIND CHILL WATCH IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY EVENING THROUGH
THURSDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MORRISTOWN HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM WEDNESDAY
TO 7 AM EST THURSDAY. A WIND CHILL WATCH HAS ALSO BEEN ISSUED. THIS
WIND CHILL WATCH IS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY EVENING THROUGH
THURSDAY MORNING.

* EVENT...SNOW SHOWERS WILL PRODUCE BETWEEN 1 TO 3 INCHES OF SNOW
ACROSS SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA AND 2 TO 4 INCHES OF SNOW ALONG THE
EAST TENNESSEE AND NORTH CAROLINA MOUNTAINS. GUSTY WINDS DURING
THE DAY COULD ALSO STRESS ICE COATED TREES AND UTILITY POLES.
BITTER COLD ARCTIC AIR WILL COMBINE WITH NORTHWEST WINDS TO
CREATE WIND CHILL VALUES BETWEEN 25 BELOW ZERO TO 15 BELOW ZERO
WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* TIMING...SNOW SHOWERS WILL DEVELOP ACROSS SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA AND
THE MOUNTAINS DURING THE MORNING AND INCREASE IN INTENSITY DURING
THE AFTERNOON...BEFORE TAPERING OFF OVERNIGHT. WINDS WILL
INCREASE DURING THE DAY...BEFORE GRADUALLY WEAKENING BY THE
EVENING. THE DANGEROUSLY LOW WIND CHILLS VALUES WILL BEGIN
WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND LINGER THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS...SNOW ACCUMULATION MAY RESULT HAZARDOUS TRAVEL
CONDITIONS ON UNTREATED ROADWAYS. GUSTY WINDS DURING THE DAY
COULD RESULT IN ADDITIONAL POWER OUTAGES AND TREE DAMAGE IN AREAS
THAT RECEIVED SIGNIFICANT ICE ACCUMULATION ON MONDAY. DANGEROUSLY
LOW WIND CHILLS CAN RESULT IN FROSTBITE...HYPOTHERMIA...AND EVEN
DEATH IF PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN.

I'm definitely concerned about the wind here. Had little periods of sunshine but not enough to help the trees, they are still sagging. 25 mph gusts will likely result in more power outages.

Yep I'm almost assured it will be out for me tomorrow.  I can't see it not.  So many down with no wind, the county took care of those that were down, but for every one that was downed there were 2 more that were dangerously leaning or sagging over the road and power lines.  All I heard last night was pop and crack, sure I'm going to hear it tomorrow even more so.

I'm not expecting too much from this clipper type system. I always get down sloped pretty good. Technically this is the second wave of the storm we just had. This is the back side of the huge trough that has been working its way east. About 5 days ago models were having trouble emphasizing this wave or the 1st one. Turned out that the 1st wave was the strongest and the most dominant.

2m temps for the Friday-Sunday AM system struggle to reach freezing, especially east. Looks like maybe 5-8 hrs of the event may be freezing rainf with a front end burst of snow. The NE portion of the Valley will be especially at risk. If you look at 850 temps...no problem. Appears the NAM is slower than the GFS in pushing out the cold air mass.

For the Friday system, I am curious as to why this is different from the last system.  Obviously the placement of the low is cutting to the west, but from what I can tell we have the same dynamics taking place.  In the last storm was saw micro-climates of the Tennessee Valley  did not warm as the models had previously suggested.  The placement of this low pressure will generate more WAA but our low temperatures should also be lower then the last system (last systems forecasted low busted big time for me, I stayed at 22 vs a forecasted low of 12 degrees).  So why can't precip rates keep temps from rising above freezing at the surface this time around?  Trying to learn here a little, thanks

The system yesterday had a low that went to our south and we still had a lot of WAA. With the low lifting into Kentucky it all but guarantees we warm, even more so than the system yesterday.

Would it make difference if our low temps started in the mid-teens vs last time's low temps?  Or is it case of this just being to powerful a low pressure placement?

Archived